Rubber vs. aluminum roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
Rubber vs. aluminum roof

My Fun Finder X-139 has a leaking roof which is being replaced. The repair guy suggested replacing it with an aluminum instead of rubber, which the trailer had originally.

Any thoughts on rubber vs. aluminum roofs? What are the pro/cons, etc... of aluminum roofs?
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Sort of tough for us folks here on the fiberglassrv site to answer your question because most all of us have fiberglass trailers. Rubber roof..what's that. Aluminum roof...what's that.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I had a 95 motorhome that had a rubber roof that started leaking..I went to the RV dealership and ask about the problem..This is what I was told and couldn't believe it..They said the rubber roof on Motorhomes required a coating every 4 to 5 years after purchasing that cost appox. $450. I was never told this when I purchased the thing and was surprised that they put such a roof on the thing..By this time mine was deteriorating and coming apart and a new roof was going to cost over $2500.00 material and labor and still require the coating every few years how stupid was THAT..I thought this had to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and ask them why in the world they didn't put a commercial rubber roof on it like they put on shopping centers and such ( I was construction contractor and knew about rubber roofs) they carry a 40 year warranty.. Then the idiots tried to tell me they had to use their rubber roof material to save weight..The difference in weight was about 25 lbs for the entire roof so I knew that was a BIG LOAD OF CRAP!!!!!!!! I knew a couple of commerical roofers and one gave me a piece big enough to do the entire motorhome ( had a piece left over and built my wife a gold fish pond with the remains), had my guys remove all the stuff on the roof, removed the old roof and replaced it in one day..The motorhome will rot before this roof will ever leak..This might be the way you could handle your problem.. I just couldn't believe the CHEAP CRAP they put on these things that cost thousands and thousands of dollars, the US is producing crapper and crapper stuff.... what ever happened to the day when we took pride in what we produced. Just like these little camper, made out of 2X2's and aluminum now days and they become garbage in lest that 10 to 15 years...I'll get off my soap box now.. sorry for the rambling..HOPE THIS HELPS RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Fun Finder X-139
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1767_104301_347669.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	38024
You would have better luck with a answer on some other trailer site.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
No bigger than that thing is I would put the same commerical rubber roof on it.. couldn't cost much..Talk to a Commercial Roofing Contractor in your area and see if they have scrap pieces left over from a job you can get from they..Believe me once done you will never have another problem.. with that part anyway....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
paulitzlee2, seriously try these sites for questions regarding your Funfinder:
iRV2 - RV Forum Community
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

You'll note the subtitle of the Problem Solving forum:
"Share your problems, concerns, fixes of Molded Fiberglass Trailers"

Hope this helps.

On edit: OMG, I just reread my post and I hope it didn't come across as snotty, I'm not and it shouldn't be. You may get answers here paulitzlee2, but I know you're looking for the BEST solution, hence my suggestion to read/post on the other WWW forums that are designed for your brand of trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote