Rust on top of Coleman LP stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Rust on top of Coleman LP stove

Is there a fix for this issue or should we look for a new stovetop? It's a Coleman in our 1975 Boler 13'

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2015-05-26 11.43.51.jpg   2015-05-26 11.43.55.jpg  

Jeannette in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette in NS View Post
Is there a fix for this issue or should we look for a new stovetop? It's a Coleman in our 1975 Boler 13'

Thanks
Baking Soda works on minor rust, and so do cleaners that contain oxalic acid - like Barkeepers Friend. You may not get all of it off, but it will certainly look much better.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Probably pitted under that rust. I just got done cleaning one of those stove tops and to prevent scratches I used 1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Used it dry. Couldn't get out all the pitting but it ended up much better looking. Then went over it with Mothers mag wheel polish to shine it up a little more and hopefully protect it from moisture. That's a cheap fix worth a try. Don't buy the Mothers until you try the sandpaper in case it doesn't come out satisfactory and you decide to go with a new cooktop.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #4

Nova Scotia
Thanks! it's going in for it's first inspection and an LP check. Depending on the results of that we will either try to polish it up - or remove it and just used a portable induction heater and pack the Webber BBQ.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
We got one just like yours only maybe rustier. We have decided to take it apart, buff it up as best we can then spray all the deck and non-working parts with high heat BBQ paint (only comes in flat black) We are putting in a glossy white countertop so hope it will look sharp as well as be functional. Redid a BBQ back in leaner times with the same stuff and it lasted for years. Just a suggestion.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Alberta
I have seen some good you tube videos of people using Cole and aluminum foil. Maybe worth a try. Mine was in bad shape too so I sanded off what I could then used of of the hammer finish paints from Rustoleum. It covered well and hid the pitting from the rust spots. It isn't terribly durable, but is a very easy touch up. The paint is relatively inexpensive too.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
What about trying very fine steel wool with a paste of Bartender's Helper?
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
What about trying very fine steel wool with a paste of Bartender's Helper?

If you mean Barkeepers Friend, you're right. Does a good job on stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I just went through this with my old stove. I just couldn't get the pits out. I decided to get away from stainless. I bought a black painted stove. Personally, in our house we have stainless steel appliances and they are a pain. any fingerprint or smudge looks awful and so they seem high maintenance, much more than painted. If yu are happy to just use it, then the method of sanding with wet dry will work. But high temp paint isn't very durable compared to the baked powder coatings they use commercially. My OCD won out and we have a new stove! I have to thank Scamp for leaving enough copper line to reach the different connection.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Nova Scotia
Thanks everyone- we sat down today to discuss our plan for this little Boler and we are leaning toward converting it to all electric and pulling the stove...

I won't do much to it until we see where this idea leads
Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We converted our Uhaul camper to all electric. Removed stove and furnace and made those areas into storage.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Coca-Cola and rubbing with aluminum foil

I just wanted to comment that as TimR suggested I just polished a bunch of rusty chrome railing pieces with Diet Coke (so it's not sticky) and rubbing with aluminum foil. Then rinse. Seal with car wax (I used a silicon-based product). Boy, does that work good! Gets the rust off and lets you see what the actual pits are.
Don't know how it would work for stainless steel.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Barkeeps Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
If you mean Barkeepers Friend, you're right. Does a good job on stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
@rbryan, that's exactly what I was trying to say - thanks!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Just toss the gas stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette in NS View Post
Thanks everyone- we sat down today to discuss our plan for this little Boler and we are leaning toward converting it to all electric and pulling the stove...

I won't do much to it until we see where this idea leads
I agree with being patient and waiting to see how the gas cooktop cleans up. Looks like there might be some denting underneath. Converting to all-electric seems fine until you are forced to camp where there are no utilities--a handy WalMart with a car breakdown, for example. (Do I sound experienced?) 12 Volts won't run a stove!

Also, I always wonder about the resale value of trailers with limited flexibility. Recently I saw a small fiberglass RV with the entire kitchen pulled and pretty much only 2 large beds and storage in it. That's fine, but if selling one would need to find a buyer who wants only that, and the market may be limited.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
A timely thread as I was going to ask the same thing: How to clean the cooktop. This is on my agenda for today and I already have the barkeepers friend! Thanks!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote