Rust on trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
FWIW
I painted the frame on a Scamp 16 with POR-15. I ordered the quart kit for about $70. The kit contains 3 one qt. containers Por-15, Marine clean and metal prep. This is a multi-step process and using a creeper is a must.
1. Wire brush off loose rust and lightly sand painted surfaces with a multi tool.
2. Wash frame with marine clean to remove any oil and debris.
3. Rinse with clean water.
4. Treat rusty surfaces with the metal treatment solution and let set for a while.
5. Rinse with clean water and dry completely.
6. Apply POR-15, I used a brush and had a just little left over with one coat.

I knew I had to top coat the back bumper and tongue but learned you should use a POR-15 top coat since the finish is so slick. $25 for a spray can a little more for a brush on container. I am currently waiting for my top coat.
POR-15 is extremely thin but leaves a level shinny very hard surface. Really pleased so far.
Tips:
1. Read instructions.
2. Use only about 3-4 oz. at a time because it stars to kick in about one hour.
3. Use saran wrap between the top and the can if you want to get the top off the can later.
4. Wear long sleeve shirt and use long cuff rubber gloves and tuck the sleeves under the glove cuffs if possible. The paint will soak through cotton shirt and stain your skin.
5. Wear eye protection.
6. Have a bunch of brushes from the $1 Store, they are not re-useable.
7. Four days and the paint stains are still on my arms. Instructions say it takes about a week to wear off.
Eddie

Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Dealing with POR-15 I use sunblock on my skin SPF 40 and lay it on thick and let it dry. wear rubber gloves and protective clothing (cut a large trash bag as a plastic suit) and glasses. Buy small cans and use several rather than a Quart can. A little of this stuff goes along way. This cures not by drying but by moisture cure the more humidity it is exposed to the faster it sets up. Pour from container to another container to brush from. As soon as you pour out some (as above) place a plastic film between the can and the lid. I use a piece of sandwhich bag and tap on the lid. When done with the can fully tighten the lid and stor it upside down. I put the can in another bag upside down just in case. Any moisture in the can will set up a skin on the paint so when you go to use the remainder turn over the can and open the lid and there will be no set-up paint. When your done and made a mess of yourself try and wash off the paint splatter from your skin. washing out the dried sunblock from your skin will help. There are barrier creams that painters and printers use but are hard to find when you want it.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
All good advice, Steve! I use a product called Master Series Silver because it is easier to use (less steps involved). But, clean up and storage is exactly the same.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
POR-15 is the definitive answer for hotrodders for frame protection. Those folks (include me in that) will spend $$$$$ building magnificent machines and the last thing they'll (we'll) do is cheap out when it comes to protecting a frame.

But yeah, your hand, arms and eyebrows might be black for a while if not protected when applying
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #19

Louisiana
Registry
I hope you're not saying Master Series is cheap without checking it out, Donna! It's a great product without the name/price attached.
Here's some data on it-
MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - Data Sheets
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
My contrarian view - I wouldn't worry about it. If the rust is extensive enough to cause structural damage, the paint will flake off.
I've stuck a flathead screwdriver through a vehicle frame with the paint still on it.

I use por-15 on my stuff.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #21

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
I hope you're not saying Master Series is cheap without checking it out, Donna! It's a great product without the name/price attached.
Glad it works for you Mike, truly. I have a POR-15 dealer locally. I'd rather pick up what I need than have something shipped. Put the cost into the product, so to speak... besides, I know POR-15 works as advertised.... why change. The next time I'll need to purchase some will probably be 20 years or so
Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #22

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Glad it works for you Mike, truly. I have a POR-15 dealer locally. I'd rather pick up what I need than have something shipped. Put the cost into the product, so to speak... besides, I know POR-15 works as advertised.... why change. The next time I'll need to purchase some will probably be 20 years or so
I agree wholeheartedly with you Donna. If you have used a product and you like it, stay with it!
That's why I mentioned the product I used. It's always good to have options!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #23

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
It's always good to have options!
True story!