Rust on trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
Rust on trailer

Hoping to get some opinions. The frame/trailer of my compact junior has been painted, however I know there is rust under that paint! I dont have the means to take the camper apart, but would like to get at that rust and stop it. Any chemicals you guys know that I can put on it to neutralize that rust? Or does it have to be scraped and then dealt with?
Thanks!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Usually a good scrapping and then wire brushed followed by a good coat of RUSTOLIUM rust paint.

Ron

Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 99 Scamp 16
Idaho
POR15 rust preventative paint can be applied directly to the rusted part and will help prevent rust. POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Naval Jelly!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
Naval Jelly? You find that at Lowes or Walmart? JUST KIDDING
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
In my experience, POR15 is the serious stuff to use. Anything that tells you to absolutely not allow it to get on the rim of the can because it will bond the lid to can when you put the cover on is good stuff.

Rustoleum is still a solid alternative, less expensive, more available, and a little easier to work with but often requires the occasional touch up.

I still do good prep work for any paint job because I usually am happier with the result if I do.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddar View Post
Hoping to get some opinions. The frame/trailer of my compact junior has been painted, however I know there is rust under that paint! I dont have the means to take the camper apart, but would like to get at that rust and stop it. Any chemicals you guys know that I can put on it to neutralize that rust? Or does it have to be scraped and then dealt with?
Thanks!
I don't know of any product or paint that you can apply over the top of paint that will neutralize rust UNDER the paint.

I second or third POR15, but first you have to remove the paint that's currently on the frame. You don't have to remove the rust however, that's what POR15 is for...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I noticed some surface rust on the rear frame of our truck. (It took 4 hours to remove the 4 carriage bolts that hold the bumper.) Donna and others often mention POR 15 so I went to their web site. I came away thinking the stuff would be too dangerous for me to use. I went with rustoleum primer for rusty metal. The satin black top coat goes on today if it gets warm enough. The bumper goes back on with 4 stainless steel bolts. Happy painting, Raz
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #9

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
My contrarian view - I wouldn't worry about it. If the rust is extensive enough to cause structural damage, the paint will flake off.

If you really want to strip it, use a chemical paint stripper, then a wire wheel on a grinder to polish it to bare metal. Follow up with a good quality paint made for rusty metal.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Seems a new Chasie would be a lot less work !

Ron
Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
While POR-15 is the more used product (hey, advertising does work!), I've use Master Series Silver and had great success. Basically, they are the same type of product.
They seal out the atmosphere. No oxygen, no more rust. You should knock off any flaking rust though.
Rustoleum is ok for a temporary fix.
There are many types of rust treatments but look for the kind that has phosphoric acid in it.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Metal Treatment

Jasco Prep and Primer (Lowes), Phosphoric Plus (Home Depot) and OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. This is the best stuff for treating rusted surfaces but you have to get down to bare metal/rust for treatment.
Eddie
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Jasco is what I use. I couldn't remember the name - thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Finally got to my painting yesterday. It's a good thing I used rustoleum. Had I used POR 15 I would have had to go around looking like a Holstein for a very long time. Raz
Attached Images