rust removal - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
The Scamp that I just bought had a padlock lock hasp in the door. It was rusted and the rust has stained the figerglass. I have tried naval jelly, bleach, fine rubbing compound and some guaranteed rust remover that my neighbor gave me and nothing works.
Any sugestions?
John

Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The Scamp that I just bought had a padlock lock hasp in the door. It was rusted and the rust has stained the figerglass. I have tried naval jelly, bleach, fine rubbing compound and some guaranteed rust remover that my neighbor gave me and nothing works.
Any sugestions?
John
Hi: We used a product called Iron Out on rusty streaks on the front of my brothers Boler. We also use it in our water softener to disolve the rust...It is available in our local Hdwr. and Building supply stores Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Hi: We used a product called Iron Out on rusty streaks on the front of my brothers Boler. We also use it in our water softener to disolve the rust...It is available in our local Hdwr. and Building supply stores Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Thanks Alf, I will give it a try.
I just sold my Burro to Mark on the West end of Lake Erie. He lives in Toledo. When I asked if he was planning a trip to Cal. or just coming to pick up the trailer he said," I am an old retired guy that is looking for adventure wherever I can find it. Besides the weather is getting crappy here and sunny Cal. sounds good to me." I like his attitude.
When he gets here I will tell him about FGRV.
Thanks again,
John
Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer:
Quote:
It was rusted and the rust has stained the figerglass.
The substance that will remove this is oxalic acid - this sounds nasty, but it's not as bad as bleach.

Now, I'm on a different continent from you, so I can't tell you which products you can get locally that are oxalic acid. But it's ability to remove stains from gel coat is superb. A Google search found that in North America "wood bleach" is often oxalic acid - presumably it will say so on the side of the pack.

Andrew
Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #5

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks Alf, I will give it a try.
I just sold my Burro to Mark on the West end of Lake Erie. He lives in Toledo. When I asked if he was planning a trip to Cal. or just coming to pick up the trailer he said," I am an old retired guy that is looking for adventure wherever I can find it. Besides the weather is getting crappy here and sunny Cal. sounds good to me." I like his attitude.
When he gets here I will tell him about FGRV.
Thanks again,
John
Hi: I hope you find some and it works for you...Found Bodfish on the map not too far from my Wifes Bro. in Bakersfield.Ca. We must plan a trip with "The silver Billet" to California some time!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Any sugestions?
John
I used some powdered rust remover, normally used to remove rust from driveways, from Lowes. You make a paste of the stuff and apply to the rust stain. Let it sit for 30 min. or so and rinse it off. Re-apply if the stain is really bad. I had some really bad stains below the door holder on our Scamp... and a few more below the hinges on the door. Worked like a charm. I masked and repainted the door holder with 95% zinc spray primer (auto parts stores and most hardware stores have the stuff). Door hinge nuts and bolts I treated with "rust neutralizer". I'm going to replace the door holder with stainless eventually but two seasons and no further problems with stains.

By the way, the 95% zinc spray primer is great stuff! I live on the coast and use it all the time on my boat and trailer.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #7

California
Quote:
I used some powdered rust remover, normally used to remove rust from driveways, from Lowes. You make a paste of the stuff and apply to the rust stain. Let it sit for 30 min. or so and rinse it off. Re-apply if the stain is really bad.

By the way, the 95% zinc spray primer is great stuff! I live on the coast and use it all the time on my boat and trailer.

I live in a little MT. town and Lowes is about 45 miles from here but I will be going there in the next day or 2, I will give it a try.
Thanks,
John
Old 10-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #8

California
Quote:
The substance that will remove this is oxalic acid - this sounds nasty, but it's not as bad as bleach.

Now, I'm on a different continent from you, so I can't tell you which products you can get locally that are oxalic acid. But it's ability to remove stains from gel coat is superb. A Google search found that in North America "wood bleach" is often oxalic acid - presumably it will say so on the side of the pack.

Andrew
HI Andrew,
I will be going into a big town with several large Home Centers in the next day or 2 and will look for wood bleach with oxalic acid. If I ever get my Scamp finished I have an oak table that I am going to refinish. I wouldn't mind it being a bit lighter in color. I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Thanks,
John
Old 10-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Hi: I hope you find some and it works for you...Found Bodfish on the map not too far from my Wifes Bro. in Bakersfield.Ca. We must plan a trip with "The silver Billet" to California some time!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf,
Hope to see and meet you one day. I was born and raised in Toledo until I was about 13.
I do not miss the winters there. It is 4:30 here the sun is out and the temp. is 73 degrees. You must get some very cold winters where you live.
If you should decide to come out here let me know as I live within 10 miles of the Sequoia National Forest and some of the most beautiful country you will ever see.

John
Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
John,
Our "99 Scamp sat outside for three years before we got it and it had rust stains as you described from the door harware. Tried everything until I heard about Rust-Oleum Rust Stripper on this board or Yahoo Scampers.
Worked like a miracle! They also make a Rust Remover product ,but I've no idea if it is similar or If it would work. The Stripper should be widely available.Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Swimming pool acid also works -- Regardless of what you use, take personal precautions and also avoid getting any acid on steel parts of the Scamp by thoroughly rinsing with water.

If you want to replace the hasp, look in a marine store for something that doesn't rust.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Registry
Try "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" - it is great!! Sold in most grocery stores, Walmart etc. Hope it works for you!!