Rust streaks on fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Hi! We are new to this forum having just brought our used 2001 Scamp home today. There are rust streaks on the side under the door holder and under the gravel guard. We need suggestions as to how we can clean these off. Have tried polishing compound, auto wax, Mr. Clean magic eraser, and comet cleanser. The heavier stuff came off but we still have some brown streaks. Can anyone give us a lead on a cleaner that will take off these streaks without hurting the gel coat?
Thanks, Ed & Gerri
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ed, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you found us.

We recently had a topic going about the exact same problem. While you're waiting for some new information to appear, you may want to read the topic, just click on this title:
Rust Removal, Naval Jelly, Phosphoric Acid, Removing Rust from Fiberglass
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi! We are new to this forum having just brought our used 2001 Scamp home today. There are rust streaks on the side under the door holder and under the gravel guard. We need suggestions as to how we can clean these off. Have tried polishing compound, auto wax, Mr. Clean magic eraser, and comet cleanser. The heavier stuff came off but we still have some brown streaks. Can anyone give us a lead on a cleaner that will take off these streaks without hurting the gel coat?
Thanks, Ed & Gerri
Hi: Ed... My brother had the same prob. with his '72 Boler and we used a product called Iron Out. I also use it in our water softener and toilet tanks to remove the rust stains. It's avail. in the hardware/building supply stores.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The key here is that the rust has actually penetrated the gel coat so mechanical abrasion with polish, sandpaper, hammer and chisel, etc. will only work if the gel coat is also removed.

This calls for a chemical attack on the rust, aka iron oxide, without attacking the gel coat, hence the chemical suggestions.

If they are acid-based, or you think they might be acid-based, be sure to use plenty of water so it gets washed off the frame steel...

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hi Ed,
We had the same experience with our Scamp that set outside for three years. Rustoleum rust stripper (not rust remover) worked like magic! Can't say ennough about how effective it is, found out about it on this great board.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Ed,
I used "Bar Keepers Friend" for about $2.00. You make it into a paste with warm water. Scrub it in and let it set in the sun for 5 to 7 hours. Take a stiff nylon brush and rinse 2 to 3 times. and you will be AMAZED!!!!!!!!!! I used this on restoring a 1976 13 foot scamp this past summer with excellent results. Good Luck and let me know your results!

Dave
"The Triliium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I used "Interlux Heavy Duty Stain Remover" http://www.boatersworld.com/product/177380029.htm

It is made for removing rust stains on gelcoat. I had some stubborn rust stains that CLR would not remove, and this stuff did the trick.

Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I just wanted to tag another recomendation for this product too.

Harry

Quote:
I used "Interlux Heavy Duty Stain Remover" http://www.boatersworld.com/product/177380029.htm

It is made for removing rust stains on gelcoat. I had some stubborn rust stains that CLR would not remove, and this stuff did the trick.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
I would like to thank everyone for the responses. The CLR worked pretty well, however some of the stains are still there. I'm going to try the Interlux Heavy Duty
Stain Remover next. The job may have to wait until spring. Thanks again, Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote