Rusted Brake Lines - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #15

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I read one Internet post that said the bed of the truck had to be removed and the cab had to be unbolted and lifted. Anyway, my rotors and wheel cylinders had to be replaced also.

Here's the thing, I have owned many vehicles and even vi rage ones and it seams that now there are rusted brake lines all over the place. The GM lines we're aluminized steel. Is that something all of the manufactures are doing. My Chevy Tech told me my new lines are stainless steel. I looked and can't tell because they are black - and I assume are powder coated.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #16

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I read one Internet post that said the bed of the truck had to be removed and the cab had to be unbolted and lifted. Anyway, my rotors and wheel cylinders had to be replaced also.

Here's the thing, I have owned many vehicles and even vi rage ones and it seams that now there are rusted brake lines all over the place. The GM lines we're aluminized steel. Is that something all of the manufactures are doing. My Chevy Tech told me my new lines are stainless steel. I looked and can't tell because they are black - and I assume are powder coated.
After looking at my Sierra's brake lines, and removing them, I came to the conclusion that the only way you would be able to install factory made lines was to remove the cab. So, that is why I decided to try and use shorter lines and do some fabricating as I went.

For those who are mechanically inclined enough to give this approach a try, my cost for parts, tooling, and two liters of brake fluid was about $130.00.
I figured that if I turned it over to a local shop I would probably be looking at well over $1000.00.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #17

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gerry, I have been mechanically inclined all my life and know how to do that stuff however being 73, a disabled Veteran with a bad back and all that other crap that creeps up on one at this age, I just can't do it anymore.

I firmly think ALL Engineers that design this stuff should have to go to the maintenance bay and fix these problems so they will learn the correct way to design. Oil filters are another design flaw. I had a Chevy caviler that it was almost impossible to get the filter off and when I did, oil leaked all over everything.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Gerry, I have been mechanically inclined all my life and know how to do that stuff however being 73, a disabled Veteran with a bad back and all that other crap that creeps up on one at this age, I just can't do it anymore.

I firmly think ALL Engineers that design this stuff should have to go to the maintenance bay and fix these problems so they will learn the correct way to design. Oil filters are another design flaw. I had a Chevy caviler that it was almost impossible to get the filter off and when I did, oil leaked all over everything.
I totally understand. Crawling around under a vehicle is definitely not my favourite thing to do anymore, but it just aggravates me so bad that these Detriot yo yo designers do not give a fig for people that want to try and maintain their own vehicles.

I also agree, that they should spend some time fixing their badly designed junk.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've done the same as you Gerry, shorter lines with couplings. I have a flaring tool from Snapon and a couple different benders. The fun part is laying under a vehicle and having all the rust and dirt falling in your face. Some sections of old line never got removed, and the new lines run in an easier location. Custom made brake lines are available in stainless steel, Classic Tube being one supplier
Old 09-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy How well I remember

Quote:

I remember some car that, in the days when spark plugs had to be regularly replaced, needed to drop the engine to access the rear spark plug.
I had an '85 Mercury that needed the whole dash board removed to replace the heater core. The year before it was in the engine compartment.
There used to be a cartoon called Hatlo's Infernal that dealt with stuff like this.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:

On more than one occasion I've cursed the engineers myself. I remember trying to lower the spare tire on my '85 F150 to check the air pressure only to find the cable frozen with rust. On my back with a hack saw.... What were they thinking?

But I suspect in most cases the bean counters over rule the engineers. I think servicing takes a back seat to easy ( low cost) assembly. And why worry about spark plug replacement when most original owners will never need them replaced. Raz
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #22

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Raz

Speaking of spark plugs I spent several hours replacing them on my 2007 Silverado yesterday. The passenger side rear can't even be seen and you can't get your hand in there to locate the hole either

Finally got it in and with the iridium plugs that were $82 including sales tax the slight miss is now gone.

Who ever decided spark plugs should last 100k miles? Mine only had 75k.

Joe<_<
Old 09-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I've done the same as you Gerry, shorter lines with couplings. I have a flaring tool from Snapon and a couple different benders. The fun part is laying under a vehicle and having all the rust and dirt falling in your face. Some sections of old line never got removed, and the new lines run in an easier location. Custom made brake lines are available in stainless steel, Classic Tube being one supplier
Yeah, it was truly a fun job. I am surprised at the number of people who have responded to this thread. It appears that rusted through brake lines are now a common thing. I did mine about a month ago, and so far so good.

Gerry
Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas
Raz

Speaking of spark plugs I spent several hours replacing them on my 2007 Silverado yesterday. The passenger side rear can't even be seen and you can't get your hand in there to locate the hole either

Finally got it in and with the iridium plugs that were $82 including sales tax the slight miss is now gone.

Who ever decided spark plugs should last 100k miles? Mine only had 75k.

Joe<_<
You're a brave man. Steel threaded plugs into an aluminum engine. Into a hole you can't see. Yup, you're a brave man. Raz