Rustoleum topside paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Rustoleum topside paint

Has anyone tried the Rustoleum Topside paint?

There are good reviews for it on Amazon. However, it is available locally at Lowe's.

I'm considering it to paint the fiberglass in the interior of my Scamp...

Thanks!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have 2 quart cans (red & white) just waiting for it to warm up a bit to go on my Boler...Will probably try it in late March or early April.

I used Magic brand paint (tractor supply) last year which is a modified alkyd paint and it worked well except I used to much thinner mixed with it with my spray gun thinking it would spray better. And it did but it did not harden properly and the thinner made the finished flat instead of glossy.

I am sure the Magic brand would have worked better had I not done that. That said, I decided to try the Rustoleum Marine Topside this time as it is made/used for fiberglass boats. It is also a modified alkyd paint. The Magic brand had their own hardner you mix with the paint where the Rustoleum Marine Topside does not.

I got mine at a local Lowe's as well
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #3

Florida
I hope to be painting in the next couple of weeks...
Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Name: Gene
Trailer: 77 Modified Scamp 13 Towed with 99 Jeep Wrangler
Iowa
Registry
Rustoleum Top Side

My wife and I have completely repainted the interior and exterior of my 1977 Scamp using Top Side Bright White and love it. We will also be using the black topside to repaint the bumpers this spring. We were able to find it at the local Menards store.
GMYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Rustoleum is very versatile but not quite as hard as a catalyzed paint.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Name: MsRat3
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Rustoleum Topside Paint is Awesome!

Hi Tonnie,
You can't go wrong with the Topside paint. I used this last year on my 16' FiberStream and, also on my boat. I was able to get one coat of Topside primer and one coat of Topside paint on the FiberStream before the weather changed, so it's been on a year and still looks amazing...even with just one coat. I plan on putting 2 more coats to get a solid finish.

My process:
1. Removed all trims, lights, bumpers, etc.
2. Completely sanded camper until smooth and all shine was gone. This wasn't too hard, because the trailer is older and had oxidized.
3. Painted the camper with the Topside Primer (for wood and fiberglass). This is very important to get a smooth, lasting finish. I used a flat sponge roller to apply both primer and paint. I waited about 4 days for the primer to set and then lightly sand it before applying the 1st coat of paint.
4. Applied Oyster White Topside paint using a flat sponge roller. Follow the instructions on the can for drying times and 2nd coat, etc. (Also, I will lightly sand again prior to putting on the next coat of paint on my FiberStream, since it's been a year since painting the 1st coat) It is Very important to wait at least a week or two for the paint to completely "harden" prior to putting the hardware back on and using the camper.

That's it I've had the paint on my boat and in the water, on and off the trailer, all year and it has held up amazingly well. The FiberStream, poor thing, has been sitting on it's pad in the full sun and rain....waiting for it's second coat for the past year and looks as good as the day I painted it. Shiny and new

Good luck and have fun! I will post pics when I get a chance.
Save
Save
MsRat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Yes, we used it on our 1973 amerigo; it came out very well. Paul used a small foam "hot dog" roller (he didn't roll and tip, he just rolled until all the bubbles were gone) and it came out quite nice. We like the color, the surface, and the way it was easy to handle. Also availability and price. Not cheap...but not exorbitant, either.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRat3 View Post
Hi Tonnie,
You can't go wrong with the Topside paint. I used this last year on my 16' FiberStream and, also on my boat. I was able to get one coat of Topside primer and one coat of Topside paint on the FiberStream before the weather changed, so it's been on a year and still looks amazing...even with just one coat. I plan on putting 2 more coats to get a solid finish.

My process:
1. Removed all trims, lights, bumpers, etc.
2. Completely sanded camper until smooth and all shine was gone. This wasn't too hard, because the trailer is older and had oxidized.
3. Painted the camper with the Topside Primer (for wood and fiberglass). This is very important to get a smooth, lasting finish. I used a flat sponge roller to apply both primer and paint. I waited about 4 days for the primer to set and then lightly sand it before applying the 1st coat of paint.
4. Applied Oyster White Topside paint using a flat sponge roller. Follow the instructions on the can for drying times and 2nd coat, etc. (Also, I will lightly sand again prior to putting on the next coat of paint on my FiberStream, since it's been a year since painting the 1st coat) It is Very important to wait at least a week or two for the paint to completely "harden" prior to putting the hardware back on and using the camper.

That's it I've had the paint on my boat and in the water, on and off the trailer, all year and it has held up amazingly well. The FiberStream, poor thing, has been sitting on it's pad in the full sun and rain....waiting for it's second coat for the past year and looks as good as the day I painted it. Shiny and new

Good luck and have fun! I will post pics when I get a chance.
Save
Save

Can it be sprayed ?
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We done it and it worked great!

We completed an overhaul of our 1987 Scamp because everything needed doin'. We finished off with the Topside in two tone and it looks great. We rolled with the sponge roller and lightly brushed the air bubbles that wouldn't pop on their own. All of our painting was completed in our driveway without any real control of the weather or the insects. (The bugs love to land on the wet paint! &*^34^5!'s!) MsRat3 has posted some very good advice about the sequence of events. We didn't do some of the things she's recommending but it's still good advice. We painted one coat of primer and three coats of color, both top and bottom. "Ziggy" has been outside all winter, sitting exactly where your see him here, and we can't wait for camping season to get out and enjoy the fruits of our labors.

Here's picture of the finished job but you can read about the work and see the paint on our thread posted here. The painting starts on page 18 of the thread. We couldn't get it at our Lowe's so we took the chance and ordered from Amazon: Oyster White on the top and Bright Red on the bottom.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #10

Alberta
One thing you may want to consider is the possibility of oil/grease/silicone on the fiberglass. I suggest you wash all external surfaces with soap and water and then rinse with clear water prior to sanding. After sanding wipe with a "wash and wipe" degreaser to remove any residue. This will provide better adhesion and prevent "fish eyes" in the paint.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #11

Florida
Thanks for all the input! Sounds like a good product to use

Can someone tell me how much primer and paint it took to paint the inside fiberglass on their camper? I have a 13' Scamp...

Also, how much did you use for the outside?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
I hope it's ok to hijack with another question.

What are the actual benefits of a more expensive paint (Interlux, Awlgrip, etc.) over Rustoleum? I've seen on boat forums that it doesn't cure as hard as a two-part or even Brightside one-part paint. Does this matter that much on an RV? I feel like it would suffer less abuse than a boat.

Maybe some branches in a park could damage it but it seems the Rustoleum is a lot easier to blend in a repair from what I've read.

What's the finish like? I'm going to paint in the spring. I'm OK with a DIY finish I really just don't want too many brush marks. My trailer was already painted by a previous owner and they left a lot of brush marks.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #13

Alberta
Rustoleum is a cheaper product which means it isn't as hard or as durable. This means it will scratch more easily than a high end product but if it does scratch it will also be easier to sand and refinish. Rustoleum may also better hide minor imperfections because it doesn't shine as well as a high end product.
Wash your unit with soap and water, dish detergent will work, and rinse well with clear water.
Sand off enough old paint as necessary to get a solid surface. Start with 120 grit followed with 240 grit and then 360 grit sand paper. Take your time as this is the most important step. Wipe off residual dust and then wash with a "wash and wipe", available from your local auto parts store, on a clean rag.
Apply with a spray gun if possible, otherwise use a low nap roller. Try not to use a brush. If you don't spray, apply 3 - 4 coats and sand to a smooth surface with 420 grit between coats. If you sand with 1000 grit water paper after the last coat you can get a spray gun finish. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #14

Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
I used rustoleum topside paint for my 27ft sailboat. I used the majic paint hardener in it and worked pretty well. It seems to hold up pretty well though for exterior I would pony up for polyurethane next time. Interior would be fine, just make sure you have plenty of ventilation and I would wear a dual cartridge respirator, $17 at harbor freight. You'll be glad you did
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #15

Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
Also use a wax and grease remover sold at any auto parts before sanding or painting. Oil based paints do not like contaminates, even fingerprints. I paint old cars for fun and learned the hard way
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

Alberta
Ventilation is important as most of these products are solvent based and flammable. Eliminate all ignition sources. Use a NIOSH approved respirator fitted with P-100 cartridges when sanding. Use P-100/organic vapor cartridges when spraying.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #17

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
sanding between coats

When sanding between coats, should I hand sand or is it okay to use an electric sander? I a small finish sander and an orbital sander.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Before your first coat, wash with diluted dish detergent, then wipe everything down with acetone and let it dry.

Sanding between coats, the idea is to smooth out any unusually high bumps or bits of paint, brush marks, lap marks, etc., and to give that coat of paint a minimal but present "tooth" to grab the next coat, but not to remove much paint overall. Paul uses a sanding block and as fine as 1000 grit paper. Some would use less fine, (or more coarse) and you can use coarser to start with and finer with each layer as you advance toward your ultimate surface, which can then be wet-sanded with 1000 grit to bring up more of a shine.

Electrical/air sanders can take off a lot in a hurry, so if using them, use a light touch.

Agreed, you should use a face mask/protection when sanding; you don't want this dried paint in your lungs!

It took us a gallon of primer and a gallon of topcoat Rustoleum paint to do the outside of our 16' amerigo; we used what was left on some of the inside cabinets but we also used other paint inside...it's not fiberglass inside.

You'll be proud of all your hard work when it's finished...

And just in case, if you decide to add decals, logos, etc., put them on before you wax.

People are recommending "ZEP" from the big hardware stores, comes in a gallon, is supposedly a floor finish that after six coats makes the paint just lustrous.

BEST with it all!

Kai
(Kathleen near Renton)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #19

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Thanks Kai,
I had a feeling that using an electric sander could be too harsh.
How many coats did you do? Did you wait quite a while between coats? It is about 80 degrees here so it should dry fairly quickly.
I finally put on some primer today and feel like I have turned a corner with respect to progress. So much filling, sanding and other prep.
I know I will be so happy once it is painted and i can get the windows back in.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Not sure what Topside is but Ive seen regular rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits sprayed on race car panels and it was quite impressive...shine wasnt a problem either....I also seen the same panels a few years later...still looked great.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint