Rusty Fridge Shelf Fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Rusty Fridge Shelf Fix

I have some rust on the metal shelves in the '76 Trillium 1300 I am remodelling. We scrubbed them good with scouring pads, and the rust came off, but did leave some darker blemishes. No doubt this will all begin to rust again as soon as some condensation sets on it.

The metal around the outside front had some rust too, but I sanded it off, as well as the scuffed the rest of the paint, then coated it with an Appliance Epoxy. It now looks fantastic.

I would have to imagine others have had this same dilemma in their older trailers. What have you all done to correct this situation. A few ideas I have are;
1. Rough the surfaces with sandpaper, and use the appliance epoxy on them. Tough stuff, but would it stand up to the sliding of the contents for a good time.
2. Powder coat. Maybe take them to a powder coater and ask them to do them in whatever colour they are doing some time.
2. Re-chrome. Take them to a place in town that does chrome plating. They do mention redoing existing pieces of all kinds. I could maybe get my hinges done, as they have some pitting on them too.
4. Rubber coating. Anything that might work?

Looking for ideas on these, or other, options from those who may have redone their shelves, or those in the know about what to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
When dealing with rust, after removing as much rust as possible I treat the metal with Osphoe or some other like product before painting to inhibit future rust. After cleaning I usually apply appliance paint. No primer needed and for about $5 a can you can't beat the finish. Read and follow instructions and warnings.
I recently stripped, treated and appliance painted a rusted stove cover It looks like new now.
Eddie
Amazon.com: Skyco Ospho Surface Prep Bottle 1 Qt: Sports & Outdoors
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I recently had a couple of small items in my home re-chromed and unless you are really good friends with the shop owner that can get a little pricey ;-)

I used some appliance paint to refinish the stove top and after a year or so it started to fail & ended up removing it all & start over .... may not have been the best of chooses in regards to which type brand of appliance paint I used though. The stuff Eddie suggests may well work better. Would be worth a try.... if it fails you can always go the powder coat route which is cheaper than re-chroming.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #4

Registry
When I redid the front pieces on the fridge with the Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy, I just sanded off and loose rust, and sanded the paint first. It looks great, and hopefully it holds up.

I do worry about this paint on the wire shelves, as they will take a lot of abuse, not like the sides of the appliance would take. As Carol said, it really would not hurt to try, if any other coating had to be used in the future, like powder coating, they would have to sandblast all the existing finishes off anyway.

Carol, the stuff I used warned not to use it on heating appliances like stove-tops. I think one would be better to go with a high-temperature paint.

I have never had anything chromed before, but if it is too costly, might have to forgo that. Powder coating I have had done lots, and it is not too bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Carol, the stuff I used warned not to use it on heating appliances like stove-tops. I think one would be better to go with a high-temperature paint.

I have never had anything chromed before, but if it is too costly, might have to forgo that. Powder coating I have had done lots, and it is not too bad.
The stuff I used on the stove top was for high temperature use but as I said it was good for about a year then it started to peel off in spots. Not sure if it was product failure or product application failure by the party (me) who applied it.

I had two small handles re-chromed locally a couple of years ago - wanted to keep them as they were a match to a dozen or so other ones I had and thought it would be cheaper to re-chrome the two that were slightly warn than replace all the other handles that I stilled liked .... it turned out to be a bit of a push $$ wise. With your connections in the reno industry you may do better than I did on that front.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Registry
Re-chroming is not something we have done in my reno business, so doubt I could find a deal. I may ask though, just to see.

I have to also redo a painted stovetop. Hard to say how the existing one was painted, but the finish seems to be wearing off easily, just from light abrasion. I think I will have to take it right back to having no paint, then redoing it will a heat-resistant paint.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I've thought a bit about this for my own trailer. Someday (perhaps never, sigh) I'd like to Por 15 my frame. Then use the left over to fix rusty shelves and whatever else I can slap it on. Not sure what kind of finish it gives. Shiny enough? Anyone else multi use poro15?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Registry
I haven't heard of the Por 15, but it seems to be a tough product. I had considered a two part urethane for the frame, like Raptor from U-POL. This is a product that Robert Johans sprayed on the interior of a Trillium he rebuilt. It is tough like nails, similar to Line-X which is available only applied in shops.

The two part urethanes would definitely do great on the racks, I would have to look into the Por 15 more, but it looks good too. Another option for the shelves would be to take them to a Line-X shop, and have them hit them while spraying something else.

Definitely getting some ideas rolling here.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

Registry
I have used the Por 15 Rust Preventive Coating and I don't think it would leave a nice enough finish that I would want it on my fridge shelves. Por 15 does make a Detail Paint that comes in a spray can - that looks like stainless when applied. Not sure how it would stand up to items being dragged across it everyday though. Might want to read the technical data on it before trying.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Have you ever heard of cold galvanizing? It's galvanize in a spray can and it works great. Rustoleum makes a version of this and there is another brand called ZRC. After cleaning the rust off whatever metal you want to refurbish spray it with the cold galvanize to prevent further rust and to use as a primer and then spray it with your favorite spray paint. There are metalic spray paints called " Hammered " that look pretty nice and will give your project a very proffesional looking apearance.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
powdercoat
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Take the shelves out and fill the fridge with case of beer. Problem solved.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:02 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

I thought I was the only one that packed that way.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a great liquid rust removing product that I've purchased at Harbor Freight. Evapo-Rust: 1 Quart Evapo-Rustâ„¢ Rust Remover

Maybe use this and THEN, paint on Plasti Dip on the shelves: Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

You'd essentially now have "wire shelves" in the refrigerator.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Have you ever heard of cold galvanizing? It's galvanize in a spray can and it works great. Rustoleum makes a version of this and there is another brand called ZRC. After cleaning the rust off whatever metal you want to refurbish spray it with the cold galvanize to prevent further rust and to use as a primer and then spray it with your favorite spray paint. There are metalic spray paints called " Hammered " that look pretty nice and will give your project a very proffesional looking apearance.
I have used cases of this stuff over the years, back when I built electrical substations. We used it on galvanized structures whenever we drilled or cut the metal to stop the bare metal from rusting. I just wonder/worry that these paints will be tough enough for the rigours of cans, bottles and the such sliding on them a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
After the money I am going to have to spend on this trailer, my daughter can buy her own damn beer, but I like the way you are thinking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a great liquid rust removing product that I've purchased at Harbor Freight. Evapo-Rust: 1 Quart Evapo-Rustâ„¢ Rust Remover

Maybe use this and THEN, paint on Plasti Dip on the shelves: Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

You'd essentially now have "wire shelves" in the refrigerator.
I have wondered about this too, and how tough this Plasti Dip is for this situation. If I reuse the bike rack that was built for the trailer, I will likely have to recoat the protective rubber on the pieces the bikes hang from. Maybe kill two birds with one stone (can)?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #16

Texas
Registry
I suppose that sliding cans and such across refinished shelves could wear down the paint but I have always believed that every problem has a solution. What if you went to the local home building center and bought some plexiglass and cut it to fit over the various shelves. Sort of like having a piece of glass cut to go on top of a new coffee table or dresser drawer to protect the finish.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I suppose that sliding cans and such across refinished shelves could wear down the paint but I have always believed that every problem has a solution. What if you went to the local home building center and bought some plexiglass and cut it to fit over the various shelves. Sort of like having a piece of glass cut to go on top of a new coffee table or dresser drawer to protect the finish.
That is another thought, Lee. I actually have a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" white acrylic in the garage.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #18

Texas
Registry
You sound like a fellow handyman. Depending on where the acrylic is installed in the Fridge you might consider drilling some holes in it for air circulation.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If this is more than an ice box, you don't want to restrict air flow by using solid materials as shelves. Your refer will end up with hot and cold spots. They don't work like compressor frigs, but you know that Jim
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #20

Registry
Jeepers, build me up, then knock me down. Never thought this thread would be so much of an emotional roller coaster.

But yeah, I do know room has to be left for good circulation. We always use a fan inside our fridge in our Escape, to keep temps equal throughout. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Tags
fridge