Rusty? stovetop ... Magic solution? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #21

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
This post #9 in this thread (which may have gotten buried) has two inexpensive solutions.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post463643
Thanks Roger...I did see those. I read it in a BMX bike forum that oxalic acid is good for cleaning Chrome. And that Coke helps clean certain things. But it always seems to come back to knowing what metal you're dealing with LOL! I haven't given up yet and willing to try new ideas!

Bee
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #22

PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You want cheap and effective? Clean it to your satisfaction, keep it clean to your satisfaction... then build a cover for it! Outta sight, outta mind. Really, don't sweat the small stuff. You know it's clean (your dirt is cleaning than their dirt).

I figure if you can't fix it, HIDE IT
Good points Donna! I mostly want to prevent further deterioration at this point, not returned pristine condition .... unless It was easy peasy of course!
Bee
Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Two more ideas, both very thrifty.

1. Go to a local metal polishing or re-chroming shop and ask them if they can take a "Flap Wheel" to your parts. Should only take a few minutes and a bright smile may cover the costs.

2. In concert with Donna, here is a link to "Burner Bibs" I have these on my black-top 6 burner stove and they look great and no one messes up the black surfaces.
Amazon.com : 10 Pieces Round Gas Burner Bibs/covers - Aluminum Foil Stove Liners for Gas Stove Top---Free Shipping : Camping Stoves : Sports & Outdoors

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Soda Blast and powder coat, Problem solved!

A local powder coat shop here in Indy would do it for $20. YMMV

Click image for larger version

Name:	stove top resize.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	72172

Before

Name:	P1070962.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	72173

After

I did not do the grates

Spanke
Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 AM   #25

PE
Registry
This is where I started...

Great ideas....

Thought I would post a picture of what the stove top looked like at first....

A couple more steps and I'll be happy and done!

Bee
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
This may be a dumb question (and I'm not intending to hijack), but how do you remove the stove? I have a 1975 Trillium.
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"The Stove" is very generic. And yours may or may not still have the 1975 appliances

Is it a cooktop like the above posts, or is it a full stove with oven. Make and model might also help.

If it's a cooktop, you usually just have to remove the top cover with the two screws on the sides and look inside for attaching screws.

If it's a full stove, a new thread might get you more attention from the Trillium peeps.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #28

Arizona
Sorry, I meant cooktop. There aren't any screws on the cover. I've tried tugging at it to see if it'll "pop" out, but to no avail. I'm afraid I'll bend it if that's not how it's supposed to come out. :/ It's a 1300.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1402502561.208351.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	72249
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #29

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Mine was badly rusted, took it apart and let it soak with Naval Jelly then cleaned it with sand paper as best I could. I kept feeling it with my fingers to make sure it was as smooth as I could get it. Then I Spray primed it with High Heat Primer for Car engines. Then used High Heat Engine Spray Paint in Gray color because Engine Paint only comes in a few colors. Anyway thought it would match the stove vent better. It has held up great so far for over a year now.
Attached Thumbnails
NewPaintedStoveKitSetUp.jpg  
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
D D that really does look good! A little elbow grease and paint can make a large difference! Thanks for the picture.
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
This may be a dumb question (and I'm not intending to hijack), but how do you remove the stove? I have a 1975 Trillium.
Mine is a different model but it had clips on the sides to hold it in place but those clips were screwed in so you could see the locations to "pop" it at. You might get better luck starting a new thread with a trillium stove removal title as suggested. Draw the right crowd to get the info and help you need.

One of my clips was broken and could not be replaced so some care is appropriate. Had to build replacements from scratch based on suggestions from other forum members of how they had dealt with the stove top attachment.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #32

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Nut501, I just removed the grill and the top. I did clean, sand andpainted the well it sits in while it was in place. I had rusted out s clips that were broken, they hold the grill in place. I made a new one out of metal, not easy.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #33

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
Trillium stove top covers are not stainless, they are chrome plated mild steel, hence the rust. Use naval jelly or evap-o-rust type products to remove it. Nothing rougher than a green scrubber pad is necessary to remove the rust if you use a product that dissolves rust.

Unfortunately, there is not much that will preserve the finish other than stripping and re-plating. However, naval jelly will leave a blackened surface (actually an oxide coating) that if not scrubbed too much will last quite well and prevent rusting.

BTW, the clips that hold the screws are called speed clips, and are available at McMaster-Carr.com, where they are called "clip-on nuts"
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
Sorry, I meant cooktop. There aren't any screws on the cover. I've tried tugging at it to see if it'll "pop" out, but to no avail. I'm afraid I'll bend it if that's not how it's supposed to come out. :/ It's a 1300.
Attachment 72249
I have a 3 burner stove by Brown in my Trillium. If there are no visible screws to remove it likely has the same mounting system as mine. There are two tiny posts under the stovetop on either side that are held by clips from underneath.
Remove the knobs, grates ,etc. Pull upward firmly from the burner hole on one of the sides and you should get it.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #35

Arizona
Thank you, Chris! It worked! I just needed to tug at one burner hole, not both together.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #36

PE
Registry
Thank you.... This naval jelly might be the last step. The little tray the knobs are in is the worst part! Any idea what the little crooked s shaped clips that hold the burner grills on with are called, best place to replace at? Between hardware stores, marine stores and Rv stores... I keep going between them!

Bee
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #37

PE
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee in Canada View Post
Thank you.... This naval jelly might be the last step. The little tray the knobs are in is the worst part! Any idea what the little crooked s shaped clips that hold the burner grills on with are called, best place to replace at? Between hardware stores, marine stores and Rv stores... I keep going between them!

Bee
Just received the info I needed in a PM...thanks forum! Turns out they are called grate clips, FYI for anyone else needing the info. I find the biggest challenge is knowing what things are called to be able to search them out.

Bee