Rusty? stovetop ... Magic solution? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Rusty? stovetop ... Magic solution?

Hi all,

I have a Coleman stovetop from 1980 trillium that was caked and baked... Coming along nicely in terms of cleanup, but now I'm stuck. Any magic solutions? I've tried aluminum foil scrubbing, baking soda.... Where do I stop? What do I coat with (not paint) once I stop cleaning to stop further corrosion...

Btw it's magnetic, whatever metal it is....
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
That looks like stainless steel. You can either do it chemically or mechanically.

Mechanically:

The best thing I've found for removing light surface rust is steel wool. Put it in the sink and try scrubbing it out with an SOS pad. It will take some work, but it should come off. If not, you might try something more aggressive, like a fine grit sandpaper. The great thing about stainless steel is that you can always polish it out if you scuff it up.

Chemically:

If you're looking for a magic solution, there is a rest remover called Metal Rescue. You can buy it at Home Depot for $25 a bottle. I use this for old car parts and it's amazing. It's non toxic, and it will dissolve all of the rust without damaging anything. You want this specific brand. Steer clear of the "rust converter" products that you find in the auto parts store. Those are for treating rust in preparation for paint, and they're totally different. Instead of removing the it, they convert it into this black crust that you can sand and paint. Metal Rescue is the only one I know of that will remove the rust entirely and take it down to bare metal.

mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Errr.. If it's stainless steel, maybe the last thing you will want to clean with is steel wool. That will imbed tiny particles of ferrous metal into the stainless and it will be stainless steel no mo.... In most cases that's what causes rusting of those stainless steel stove parts in the first place.

BUT: You can use a stainless steel wire wheel on a drill motor to clean it IF (big IF) it's never been used on common steel. A brass wire wheel may also help, but the same warning applies.

That said, it may never really stay clean as the ferrous particles that are imbedded may not come out and it will oxidize all over again.

But it may not be stainless steel, it may be nickel plated steel, in which case the plating is long gone and the pitted damage will rust again and again. I would just look for, disposable aluminum foil burner liners and change them often.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

PE
Registry
Great! I will give it a try
Bee
Old 06-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Virginia
DO NOT use a wire wheel on a drill. You'll scratch it up so bad, you won't even want it anymore.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

Hmmmm.... Been doing it that way for years.... The operative words are "Stainless steel" or a "Brass" wire wheel.

Stainless steel and brass wire wheels are fairly soft, a lot softer than steel wool, and you can polish the entire bowl to look smooth. But, if an aged "Patina" (rust) look is more attractive than a brushed surface, stick with the steel wool, it will come back.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Virginia
Don't get me wrong, wire wheels are great for removing rust. If I'm cleaning the diff cover on my old Jeep, I'll use a wire wheel. But it's WAY too aggressive for trim pieces.

Also, I have to call BS on "ferrous particles getting embedded in the steel". Stainless steel is a ferrous metal. It's already 90% iron. That's why magnets stick to it. I've restored 2 classic cars, and steel wool is what everyone recommends for removing surface rust from chrome and stainless steel. It's been 10 years and nothing I've cleaned has re-rusted.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ummm... Among other things, I sell magnetic level indicators that use a magnetic float in a 316 stainless steel chamber. The reason we use stainless steel, is that it is not affected by, or blocks magnetic lines of force.

If a magnet sticks to it, it is no stainless steel I know.

According to this link:
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=863

There is less then 0.03% Fe in 316 stainless steel.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=965

There is less then 0.08% Fe in 304 stainless steel

What grade of stainless has 90% iron?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Since the picture posted was of decent quality I opened it full sized. I'm pretty sure I am seeing plated metal bubbling along the edges of the "crud" portions. OP can confirm if the metal really is pitted and peeling. If you can catch a finger nail on the edges around some of the crud when scraping out toward the shiny part probably plated.

Leaves a couple of options for repair that I can think of. Remove the rust as suggested by chemical or mechanical means.

Then either contact a local chrome shop and tell them you only need the nickel base coat not full chrome job. Save some money that way and it may not cost much. OR use a high temp aluminum or chrome (or colored if you like) high temp paint. Typically used for auto engines and exhaust systems.

You will want to bake them if you paint them, best done on an outside grill with clean foil under them and the lid down. It takes heat to cure and set the paint and until it bakes for awhile it will stink from the off gassing every time it gets hot. Couple of hours baking at least maybe more. If the paint has a temp limit don't go over it while baking.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

Call it what you want but.....
I worked for LogEtronics (Film Processors) and Kodak (graphic arts division) as a trainer and tech rep for about 20 years and many, many times we had to replace $2000 stainless steel film processing tanks because they had been cleaned with steel wool and became rusty tanks. It's a well known problem in the stainless steel manufacturing, processing and refinishing field.

Yes, a wheel will leave brush marks, but that trumps more rust.

BTW: Not all stainless steel is magnetic

Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Ummm... I sell magnetic level indicators that use a magnetic float in a 316 stainless steel chamber. The reason we use stainless steel, is that it is not affected by, or blocks magnetic lines of force.

If a magnet sticks to it, it is no stainless steel I know.
316 by definition is non-magnetic, but there are some lower grades of "stainless" that have some magnetic properties.

But it sounds like the OP problem may be with plated steel anyway.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Stainless steel and magnetic? Really, both? I use Evapo-Rust from Harbor Freight, cheap, safe and very effective.
1 Quart Evapo-Rustâ„¢ Rust Remover
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #13

Here's a clip from this link: Many others exist.....

5 Stainless Steel Mistakes Not to Make

Do not use steel wool or steel brushes.
These products leave little particles in the surface of the steel and inevitably these particles begin rusting and staining the surface of the steel. They also can excessively scratch the surface of your stainless steel. Stay completely away from steel wool and steel brushes

Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #14

Thanks for the info Bob. Anyone that has a stainless steel (old) sink, probably has some rust issues due to someone using SOS pads or the like. I tried to mention rust issues and stainless steel sinks on one of the other forums and just about got my head bit off, like I was some know nothing idiot. You can only provide solid information gleaned from reliable sources or actual experience. We can't force people to pay attention and learn. Too bad actually.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #15

Virginia
Tell that to my stainless steel kitchen sink, which I clean every day with steel wool. Or all of my silverware. For Pete's sake... it's a stove in a camper. He's not using it to process film.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #16

Mike you may not have problems now, but you may in the future and by then it's too late. This truly isn't an issue of power, this is folks trying to share solid, reliable information based on experience.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks for the info Bob. Anyone that has a stainless steel (old) sink, probably has some rust issues due to someone using SOS pads or the like. I tried to mention rust issues and stainless steel sinks on one of the other forums and just about got my head bit off, like I was some know nothing idiot. You can only provide solid information gleaned from reliable sources or actual experience. We can't force people to pay attention and learn. Too bad actually.
Thank You Donna

And as I have often mentioned, "Exceptions don't make the rule"

And certainly, having to clean a stainless steel sink every day with steel wool must say something. I just wipe mine out with a wet cloth, per the suggestions in the provided link.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #18

PE
Registry
I've been researching this for days... Can't seem to find a definitive answer for solving the problem. The problem really starts with an earlier question because I don't know what metal it is. It is magnetic. It doesn't seem to be flaking. It was not scratched by SOS pads, which whoops, I used briefly before doing any research. But after a lot of elbow grease I seem to have made it to truly rust spots...which makes me believe it was plated and the plating has been scratched off, leading to rust. Now if I can clear the rust... Can I use the baking soda, aluminum foil trick, the battery and piece of steel trick... Or can I just coat it so it doesn't get worse? I need affordable here.... Thanks again everyone! Bee
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This post #9 in this thread (which may have gotten buried) has two inexpensive solutions.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post463643
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #20

You want cheap and effective? Clean it to your satisfaction, keep it clean to your satisfaction... then build a cover for it! Outta sight, outta mind. Really, don't sweat the small stuff. You know it's clean (your dirt is cleaning than their dirt).

I figure if you can't fix it, HIDE IT