RV Appraisal Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #1

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Hi, there. We are in the process of changing insurance companies. Since we've invested a lot of time and money into fixing up our trailer, we want to insure it enough to be able to replace it if, heaven forbid, anything happens to it. The NADA value would be a drop in the bucket compared to what it would cost for us to get another Bigfoot 5er in the same shape.

The insurance company wants us to get an appraisal to show the trailer's value. We would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the service, but we just don't know where to turn. I tried calling the local Bigfoot dealer, Apache Camping Center in Tacoma, but they said that they couldn't help because they haven't been selling Bigfoot fifth wheels. Of course Bigfoot Industries is out of business. I tried Googling RV appraisal with no luck so far. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi, there. We are in the process of changing insurance companies. Since we've invested a lot of time and money into fixing up our trailer, we want to insure it enough to be able to replace it if, heaven forbid, anything happens to it. The NADA value would be a drop in the bucket compared to what it would cost for us to get another Bigfoot 5er in the same shape.

The insurance company wants us to get an appraisal to show the trailer's value. We would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the service, but we just don't know where to turn. I tried calling the local Bigfoot dealer, Apache Camping Center in Tacoma, but they said that they couldn't help because they haven't been selling Bigfoot fifth wheels. Of course Bigfoot Industries is out of business. I tried Googling RV appraisal with no luck so far. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Maureen
We went through this as well, when we completed the rebuild of our Scamp. We had a tough time finding anyone willing to do an appraisal, and our insurance company of choice wouldn't insure without. The local RV stores are the most likely to give appraisals, but in truth all of us who frequent this board are probably better equipped to give accurate values in regards to the MFRVs. In the end we did some shopping around for a new company, and found one willing to insure for an "agreed value for full replacement". We provided the complete portfolio of pictures of the reconstruction/rebuild, as well as some copies of receipts. We had all of the documentation on both CD and hard copy. When we brought this all in to the agency for them to see, the agent wanted us to ask the company for a higher value than what we were looking for. In the end we settled for an agreed value of around 8500 if my memory is correct. Sorry but I'm not going digging for the papers right now

Good luck with your search for an appraisal.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I suggest that you go to an insurance company that deals with Campers and consider joining the Good Sam Club and then insuring with their insurance, as they know and insure campers.

I just sold a 2002 Scamp 5R Deluxe for $13,000 and it had a new axle and all the accessories to include Flat screen TV, Microwave, Generator, Safe and a storage box in back for gray/black hoses etc. This camper looked like it was only used a few times and along with the accessories, it commanded the 13K value.

NADA and the other sites just do not have enough information on the Fiberglass RVs to give an up to date value.

I would take pictures and give a detailed description of the camper to the Good Sam Insurance people and see if they will cover it for replacement value.

Look here: http://www.goodsamclub.com/
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Would they be willing to do comps instead? You have what your previous trailer sold for, what you paid and improved on your new one, you have several that have sold here in the last year or so. I know some insurance companies will do that and others won't. I'm afraid if you can find an appraiser they won't have a clue at the true replacement value. Having all the comps would be information for the appraiser too. Most likely he/she wouldn't even know here to get the information.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Thankfully my insurance didn't hassel me however I have gone online and looked at like/similar years to my trailer and printed what they are selling for online. They run from $6900 (thank you canada) to $3500...I submitted them both and then we agreed upon $4000 as the replacement.....I to took lots of photos of every corner to "prove" what ork has been done to back up any claims if something should happen.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Thankfully my insurance didn't hassel me however I have gone online and looked at like/similar years to my trailer and printed what they are selling for online. They run from $6900 (thank you canada) to $3500...I submitted them both and then we agreed upon $4000 as the replacement.....I to took lots of photos of every corner to "prove" what ork has been done to back up any claims if something should happen.
I haven't considered insuring the Scamp as it is parked in the garage so covered under the Homeowners, and is covered for liability under the auto policy when towing. Assumed the cost wouldn't be worth it to insure. Can I ask Brandy, since you sound like you would have a similar valuation to mine roughly what the annual cost is to insure for the agreed 4k value.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Maureen, this would be a GREAT time to have all receipts for items purchased and all work done that was 'farmed out'. You might want to check if your I. co. has 'Agreed Value' coverage.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I haven't considered insuring the Scamp as it is parked in the garage so covered under the Homeowners, and is covered for liability under the auto policy when towing. Assumed the cost wouldn't be worth it to insure. Can I ask Brandy, since you sound like you would have a similar valuation to mine roughly what the annual cost is to insure for the agreed 4k value.
You may want to double check to be sure the trailer is covered under your homeowners insurance while parked in the garage.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #9

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. We'll see what we can figure out and let you know if we have any luck.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Quote:
In Arizona, Farmers Insurance attaches the travel trailer policy to your towing vehicle. You can tow the trailer with any of your insured vehicles.

A severe wind storm totalled our trailer in December of 2007. Really glad that I had insurance.

First time adding a picture, hope it makes it.
Attached Images

Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
as a general rule any vehicle which needs to be licensed is NOT covered under a homeowers policy. I needs to have it's own insurance. I sugest you talk to your insurance agent soon.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I insured with Progressive, mine is a 71, they had a trailer only insurance, they were easy and would work with me however state to state the rules change...The stick built 5th wheeler I had caught fire while camped at a K.O.A. Insurance paid off the K.O.A. when they sued for damages to grass, a table and lost business on the space...I was glad I had it then...My insurance settled with Dometic (cause of fire) and was reimbursed back. I really do not insure for my property, its nice I agree to go get a new one after baby goes camping in the sky the last time but I insure for the property damage I might do myself really...(national forest charges you too.) I insure for the medical I might cause someone else...(had an awning fall) and the 3rd floor of lawyers they have on retainer I cannot afford. If that puppy catches fire, I sorry it comes off the truck fast...from that point on the tug insurance is off the hook literally. Now I have an itsy bitsy trailer (kids are gone yippee!) its insured and costs me 42.00 every three months. Since I park it under the home awning I know the home covers it to a point and if the trailer causes the fire its the other way too.

I would have liked to have both with the same company, but some do not insure 71s and manufactured home-trailer insurance companies under one roof I have not found.

There is an advantage to under one roof insurance because it cuts litigation in half and claims are much faster the fewer companies involved.

Hope this helps.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
as a general rule any vehicle which needs to be licensed is NOT covered under a homeowers policy. I needs to have it's own insurance. I sugest you talk to your insurance agent soon.
Checked this out initially and our homeowners does cover in the garage. Agent recommended since it was covered in the garage and "on the hook" with the auto policy and the replacement amount was so low to not insure it with it's own addendum. We have a military insurer that is a better situation than one can find in the marketplace.
However, Harry raises a good point with the KOA story. I'm going to check with the agent on the "liability" while camping and how they treat that.

This is a really good topic.......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #14

The reson I did it in addition to my auto policy was in case it was damaged by a falling tree or some random freak accident....i love my trailer and would hate to have to try and shell out money for a replacement......I pay $26 dollars a year and that covers me for $4000 replacement value if it totaled...I go thru Safeco Insurance.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #15

Registry
Brandy, just a thought, but could you replace your trailer and its contents (never mind the hours and LAYERS of paint you put into it) for $4000 IF it were totaled???

An aside: In B.C. we can get storage insurance for vehicles that are (at that time) NOT insured for road use. In our case, the cost of this policy (although NOT high) is almost as much as regular insurance on the trailer. Storage insurance is a basic insurance that covers fire, theft and possible damage while its parked.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #16

believe me I thought about all that painting *mumble mumble curse groan* the $4000 was whne I first purchased my trailer a year ago.....it was in decent shape, now it sparkels so I should probley increase the replacement value since its so cheap....

Quote:
Brandy, just a thought, but could you replace your trailer and its contents (never mind the hours and LAYERS of paint you put into it) for $4000 IF it were totaled???

An aside: In B.C. we can get storage insurance for vehicles that are (at that time) NOT insured for road use. In our case, the cost of this policy (although NOT high) is almost as much as regular insurance on the trailer. Storage insurance is a basic insurance that covers fire, theft and possible damage while its parked.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Insurance companies have a way of screwing people with replacement costs. Just because U insure for $10,000 doesn’t mean you will get that much when it comes time to replace it. They will go to sites like NADA.com to get their estimated value and leave U sucking wind.

Previously I suggested that U check with the Good Sam Club because they insure campers and are a Camper club. That way, you will get the up front and best information concerning camper insurance and remove all doubt.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #18

Thanks for stating this....I called my insurance company and grilled them regarding coverage giving every worst case senario.....tunrs out I was not covered (trailer wise) if I had a collision......so for a mer 8 more dollars more every 6 months I am now covered in case of collision, trees falling, machete weilding monkey what ever.....thanks for the reminder I would have hated to find this out after the damage was done!!!!

Quote:
Insurance companies have a way of screwing people with replacement costs. Just because U insure for $10,000 doesn't mean you will get that much when it comes time to replace it. They will go to sites like NADA.com to get their estimated value and leave U sucking wind.

Previously I suggested that U check with the Good Sam Club because they insure campers and are a Camper club. That way, you will get the up front and best information concerning camper insurance and remove all doubt.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Maureen, this would be a GREAT time to have all receipts for items purchased and all work done that was 'farmed out'. You might want to check if your I. co. has 'Agreed Value' coverage.
Darwin, note I said 'Agreed Value' coverage. This is HUGELY different than any form of replacement coverage. With an Agreed Value policy YOU must sit down with your agent and both of you AGREE on a replacement cost IN WRITING.
Very little room for screwing or being screwed.

IMHO:
If your agency doesn't offer this sort of package, MAYBE you might wanna consider shoping around.

Brandy, Good For You, digging around for info on your policy.... It sure pays in the long run.