rv frig 110V to 12V - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The above one is an ambient refer, it will keep foods cold up to a certain temperature, I do not think they will work in high temperatures. A true refer/freezer 12v model is about double that price here is one
FP430 Compact EdgeStar Portable Refrigerator Freezer
these are real nice and can be resold when no longer needed because they hold their value.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can not operate a/c off an inverter. Inverters are very inefficient, it is far better to purchase a refer designed to operate off 12v, here is one for $200
Avanti AC/DC Superconductor Refrigerator, Model# SHP1712SDC | 12-Volt Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

we have a Northern tool here in knoxville (aka knox-vegus to us hicks outside of the big town). thanks I am going to check it out

Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Air and Inverters

Mark,

A major difference between an Air Conditioner and a Refrigerator is that the refrigerator runs relatively infrequently when on while Air Conditioners runs continuously when on.

The Air Conditioner would quickly discharge your battery even if the Inverter could handle the Air Conditioner.

Inverters are very good at taking 12 volts and turning it into 110 volts AC, The unfortunate part is that for every amp of AC it takes about 10 amps of 12 volts. A small Air Conditioner draws about 5 amps of AC meaning the battery would have to continuously supply 50 amps.

Our coffee pot draws about 5 amps of 110 volts AC like a small air conditioner. We often run it off the Inverter. The good part is that it takes less than 10 minutes to make coffee.

In conclusion, your best bet is to plug into your barn. An AC outlet is better than a generator for air conditioning if you have access.

Norm
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Sorry Norm, but you are very confused.

The fan on a AC may run all the time but the compressor cycles just like a fridge.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mark,

A major difference between an Air Conditioner and a Refrigerator is that the refrigerator runs relatively infrequently when on while Air Conditioners runs continuously when on.

The Air Conditioner would quickly discharge your battery even if the Inverter could handle the Air Conditioner.

Inverters are very good at taking 12 volts and turning it into 110 volts AC, The unfortunate part is that for every amp of AC it takes about 10 amps of 12 volts. A small Air Conditioner draws about 5 amps of AC meaning the battery would have to continuously supply 50 amps.

Our coffee pot draws about 5 amps of 110 volts AC like a small air conditioner. We often run it off the Inverter. The good part is that it takes less than 10 minutes to make coffee.

In conclusion, your best bet is to plug into your barn. An AC outlet is better than a generator for air conditioning if you have access.

Norm
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
so norm are you saying that I could run a 110V fridge (dorm size, 20" x 20") off the battery and not run/drain it down quickly?
As I understand this conversation to date

If Ihad a 110 V refrig, plug into the 12V system, and its taking power, while driving, its charging the battery off the alternator, thru the 7 pin plug. Then when I reach the destination I can plug up to the 110 on site.
If this is correct I could run/drive a good 6 hrs and have cold stuff and a battery relatively charged up. Is this correct? thanks suger
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Running the fridge while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
so norm are you saying that I could run a 110V fridge (dorm size, 20" x 20") off the battery and not run/drain it down quickly?
As I understand this conversation to date

If I had a 110 V refrig, plug into the 12V system, and its taking power, while driving, its charging the battery off the alternator, thru the 7 pin plug. Then when I reach the destination I can plug up to the 110 on site.
If this is correct I could run/drive a good 6 hrs and have cold stuff and a battery relatively charged up. Is this correct? thanks suger
First, an AC fridge only runs on AC so there needs to be an Inverter between the fridge and battery.

Second, when we're plugged in the night before we turn the fridge down to a colder temperature.

Third, the fridge stays at a reasonable temperature for about four hours if you do nothing except keep the door tightly closed. Most of the time we do not run the fridge while driving, even our three way.

Keeping the door closed is an issue because there not designed for travel. To solve this we put a small screw in the top of the door and a screw (hook) in the wall above it. Between these two we have a large O-ring.

Fourth, we had a type 24 battery and it easily met your 6 hour requirement. we never really worried about it because once we started driving we turned on the 12 volts from the car to the trailers battery.

If you live any where near me (Hampton, NH) I'd be happy to help you with the project.

My fridge is 32x20x20.

Hope this helps

Norm
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Let's make this simple. There is only so much 12volts running back to your trailer from your alternator. You can either charge your battery so that when you stop it will be fully charged, OR, you can operate a 110 refer running thru an inverter. I doubt that you can do both. As the other Norm suggested, the refer will stay cold for 4 hours. So, you can then start operating it again after 4 hours and by then your battery should be charged from driving for 4 hours. But, if you turn it on from the beginning, you will have a cold refer but a discharged battery.
That is why it is recommended you purchase a 12v refer. They draw less amperage and you can operate it and charge from your battery at the same time, unlike above. There are a lot of choices one can make. Some are simple other are more complex.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I ran a portable Dometic 3 way in a Van when I went to Alaska about 5 years ago. I too had a 1200 wt inverter installed in the Van, I ran the 3 way on 120v while driving off the inverter. Then when we camped I used the fridge on LP, it worked like a charm. I would like to know if anyone has used one like the Edgestar FP430 ? Also Cpaharley2008 what do you use in your Eggcamper ? I camped next to one over the 4th and he had a 12v fridge in his. That is a nice camper by the way.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #23

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks, there will be 4 more of us and 21 others with Lil Snoozy at the rally next weekend in the Poconos, will you be there?
It's 12v, maybe 2-3 a/h draw.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Yes I'll be there for only Friday and will come home on Sat. Since its only for one night we may just tent to make things easier. And I'm looking forward to seeing the Lil Snoozy, anytime I can see a new trailer design in the East I'll try and make it.