RV Lockset Recall - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I don't have a ParkLiner and am happily immune to its bewitching innovations and unconcerned with its alleged deficiencies. Slider and sliding screen in front and rear windows of our old Burro allow all but the physically challenged and the morbidly obese a means of egress with only a moderate probability of breaking one's neck.

jack

Old 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
No need to panic, I have been using mine for years and intend to continue as usual. If mine turns out to be the ill fated mechanism, I'll take the free parts if offered, but I may not get around to changing them for a while.

My Ranger has waited at least ten years for me to take it in for a recall due to a supposed cruise control defect. If it were a real problem I would have already fixed it!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Just as an aside, I keep a 'junk' box in my camper that ALWAYS contains a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, & assorted small parts, i.e. things that can go wrong around the trailer. Unless time is of the essence I have tools readily available to dismantle a lock in just a couple of minutes. If I hafta get out faster than that I believe I can kick out a front or back window pretty quickly
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
About Recalls: Recalls are seldom issued because of a 100% chance of a problem occuring. In the case of safety recalls I have read that the the NHTSA considers any serous safety issue that exceeds something like .5% of production will merit a recall.

So, for the most part, most recalls won't affect most of us, but we buy lottery tickets with impossible odds, so why take a chance with even a 1% chnce when there is an alternative.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Just as an aside, I keep a 'junk' box in my camper that ALWAYS contains a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, & assorted small parts, i.e. things that can go wrong around the trailer. Unless time is of the essence I have tools readily available to dismantle a lock in just a couple of minutes. If I hafta get out faster than that I believe I can kick out a front or back window pretty quickly
I have a fairly substantial tool/repair kit, but I keep it in the car in case it is needed when driving about. The car is always handy when we are at the trailer.

I have actually tried climbing out of the escape hatch window to see what it was like. It was no problem at all, the only issue was scraping across the narrow sill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
About Recalls: Recalls are seldom issued because of a 100% chance of a problem occuring. In the case of safety recalls I have read that the the NHTSA considers any serous safety issue that exceeds something like .5% of production will merit a recall.

So, for the most part, most recalls won't affect most of us, but we buy lottery tickets with impossible odds, so why take a chance with even a 1% chnce when there is an alternative.
I don't buy lottery tickets since the chance of winning is roughly the same as buying them.
In fact, we had a windy day on our street last year and a lottery ticket lodged in my screen door, it was a $4 winner!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lock recall, does it apply to any of our glass trailers?

Ran across this recall today, sorry if I am posting old news, I tried to look to see if the recall had been posted before. Been out of the loop for a bit.......

Anyway, ran across this recall and my Casita isn't in the driveway for me to run out and see if it's the same lock. Have my Casita stored at a friends and they know nothing about Rv's so asking them to check for me would be useless! So Casita owners, is this the lock we have? I have had the incident described in the recall happen to me a couple of times, so I am thinking perhaps it is....

RV News Service » Nearly 3 million RV door locks recalled
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yes it does appply to some brands. There's chatter about it over on the EscapeForum. I posted the information last Thursday here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-60231.html

You may want to read the thread to see if any Casita owners posted.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
You have to remove the inside plate (4 screws) to see the model number of the lockset. The model number is molded into the plate on the inside.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Donna, sorry I missed the previous discussion!

Ron, Thanks for the heads up as to where to find the serial numbers! I would have not gone that far looking for them. Most likely got frustrated and gave up finding them.

But as I said in my opening post, think it's probably one of them. Because I had the issue a couple of times. Finally got out/in but not before panic set in..

As a few posted in Donna's link, I too have gone through a window, but because my Dh locked the key's inside. So I know that it can be done, but it's still not a experience I care to do regularly.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
I contacted FIC this morning @ 1(800) 837-2505.
I asked the representative for a list of affected keycodes.
She said that they are handling the recall on a call by call basis.
Anyone who has one of these locks is welcome to call and check his keycode against what is said to be a very short list.
The code is found stamped on the hilt of the original key,and the Phone number is as above...1(800) 837-2505. .
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
You have to remove the inside plate (4 screws) to see the model number of the lockset. The model number is molded into the plate on the inside.
No need, they are using keycodes to identify affected locks, go to the original thread....
RV Lockset Recall
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #27

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks for that info Floyd, just called FIC. The nice lady told me that neither of my locksets (Key codes HF 303 & HF 344) are on the recall list.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thanks Floyd. Mine wasn't on the list. For those who call, don't play the game with the Blurb-U fone menu or you'll be leaving a message. Stand on the honkin operator button and you'll get customer service with whom you can check your code.

jack