RV Lockset Recall - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
RV Lockset Recall

This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow: Nearly 3 million RV door locks recalled
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks Donna, That looks like the same model I (and others) have used.
I'll have to check it out. So far it has worked well, until this spring when the latch quit wanting to "slam" consistently.
I filed a little wear off the latch ramp (not the deadbolt) to make it smooth and oiled the mechanism and now it's better than ever.

That reminds me...I still have a recall on my 2001 Ranger, to add a fuse to the cruise control, guess I should call....Naah!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It's the Fastec version of the Trimark design. There must be thousands of these out there in RV land. I believe they are practically bullet proof except that keys go missing at which point replacing the entire lockset is cheaper than obtaining keys. I've never had trouble with mine except that the weather guards on the cylinders stick open and require periodic lubing with graphite.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I'll have to check the numbers, but I think that's why we got locked inside our EggCamper once in Florida. Fortunately, I keep a couple of tools inside the Egg and, with a phillips screwdriver, took the lockset apart and manually moved the deadbolt. Now I always keep a phillips inside.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I'll have to check the numbers, but I think that's why we got locked inside our EggCamper once in Florida. Fortunately, I keep a couple of tools inside the Egg and, with a phillips screwdriver, took the lockset apart and manually moved the deadbolt. Now I always keep a phillips inside.
Hi: Ron F...Which is better. Being locked in or locked out?
I just looked at our 5.0 lockset and I'm sure it's a FIC 44610 Flush Slam Lock, as seen on Home
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Delaware
The heads of the four machine screws which sandwich the inner and outer lock plates of recent Fastec locks require a Torx screwdriver bit and are obviously located on the inside plate. Better to be locked inside WITH the appropriate screwdriver. The older Trimarks have Phillips head screws. The answer is the same: inside with Mr. Screwdriver is better. Not having the cylinder malfunction is best.

jack

CORRECTION: The older Trimark has the oddball screw heads. The current Fastecs have Phillips.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Jack is correct:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
inside with Mr. Screwdriver is better. Not having the cylinder malfunction is best.
If the lock fails when you're outside, it's time to get some type of cutting tool and try to avoid collateral damage.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mine looks just like that, but I tried everything I could think of, and could not get it to fail.

Where does one find the model number on the lock. Maybe I need a bright light and better glasses, as I could not find one easily.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd much rather get locked OUT. Imaging getting locked IN when the CO alarm is sounding or the oil on the stove catches on fire, or as happened to my Mom & Dad years ago, when a bear decides that tipping trailers was more fun than tipping cows.

Being locked IN or Out, breaking out a window is usually a better choice that attacking the door lock. As the front and back windows on our BigFoot are only plastic it's an easy choice and much cheaper to repair than door damage.

If I had to keep a screwdriver handy in case the door wouldn't unlock, I'd quickly be looking for another lockset.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mine looks just like that, but I tried everything I could think of, and could not get it to fail.

Where does one find the model number on the lock. Maybe I need a bright light and better glasses, as I could not find one easily.
Only certain keycode numbers are affected (according to the article).
The keycode is stamped on the original key itself.
I will call them on Monday and report back here with a list if possible.

It appears likely that this recall will affect only a limited number of locks and then only a few of them could fail.
I think that the striker which I designed for my Scamp could contribute less to jambing than than a conventional square hole design. It would almost certainly prevent being locked in.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #11

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Only certain keycode numbers are affected (according to the article).
The keycode is stamped on the original key itself.
I will call them on Monday and report back here with a list if possible.

It appears likely that this recall will affect only a limited number of locks and then only a few of them could fail.
I think that the striker which I designed for my Scamp could contribute less to jambing than than a conventional square hole design. It would almost certainly prevent being locked in.
You're correct Floyd that the recall will apparently only affect certain Key codes but of certain lock model #'s, specifically 43610, 40610, & 44610. Like Jim Bennet I'm unable to find a model # on the FIC lockset I have on my old pop-up cabover camper (I used it to replace a TriMark lock that had a broken cylinder in the 'paddle'). If I can't find a model # how will I know if my lockset is even in the recall? Or perhaps those model #'s include ALL of the Fastec locksets with deadbolts, & other model #'s only have the lock cylinder in the paddle?? I also have a FIC lockset put aside that I plan to use on my '85 Scamp when I finish my re-build. I looked it over carefully yesterday & can find NO model # on it... I'm eagerly awaiting the info you're able to obtain from FIC.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5002.jpg   IMG_5006.jpg  

IMG_5012.jpg   IMG_5013.jpg  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #12

Delaware
The link states that the deadbolt is affected but no mention of the paddle latch. Locking only the paddle latch may be the best course in the interim until problem model #s are identified and recylindered or replaced.

jack
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thats my baby that I got off of ebay. So will see how that pans out. $#@$@$@$@#@
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
It's a good thing that ParkLiner doesn't use this type of lockset! If you were locked in the trailer, you would have a very difficult time getting out of the escape hatch.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #15

Delaware
I don't have a ParkLiner and am happily immune to its bewitching innovations and unconcerned with its alleged deficiencies. Slider and sliding screen in front and rear windows of our old Burro allow all but the physically challenged and the morbidly obese a means of egress with only a moderate probability of breaking one's neck.

jack
Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #16

Registry
No need to panic, I have been using mine for years and intend to continue as usual. If mine turns out to be the ill fated mechanism, I'll take the free parts if offered, but I may not get around to changing them for a while.

My Ranger has waited at least ten years for me to take it in for a recall due to a supposed cruise control defect. If it were a real problem I would have already fixed it!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Just as an aside, I keep a 'junk' box in my camper that ALWAYS contains a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, & assorted small parts, i.e. things that can go wrong around the trailer. Unless time is of the essence I have tools readily available to dismantle a lock in just a couple of minutes. If I hafta get out faster than that I believe I can kick out a front or back window pretty quickly
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
About Recalls: Recalls are seldom issued because of a 100% chance of a problem occuring. In the case of safety recalls I have read that the the NHTSA considers any serous safety issue that exceeds something like .5% of production will merit a recall.

So, for the most part, most recalls won't affect most of us, but we buy lottery tickets with impossible odds, so why take a chance with even a 1% chnce when there is an alternative.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Just as an aside, I keep a 'junk' box in my camper that ALWAYS contains a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, duct tape, & assorted small parts, i.e. things that can go wrong around the trailer. Unless time is of the essence I have tools readily available to dismantle a lock in just a couple of minutes. If I hafta get out faster than that I believe I can kick out a front or back window pretty quickly
I have a fairly substantial tool/repair kit, but I keep it in the car in case it is needed when driving about. The car is always handy when we are at the trailer.

I have actually tried climbing out of the escape hatch window to see what it was like. It was no problem at all, the only issue was scraping across the narrow sill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
About Recalls: Recalls are seldom issued because of a 100% chance of a problem occuring. In the case of safety recalls I have read that the the NHTSA considers any serous safety issue that exceeds something like .5% of production will merit a recall.

So, for the most part, most recalls won't affect most of us, but we buy lottery tickets with impossible odds, so why take a chance with even a 1% chnce when there is an alternative.
I don't buy lottery tickets since the chance of winning is roughly the same as buying them.
In fact, we had a windy day on our street last year and a lottery ticket lodged in my screen door, it was a $4 winner!