RV Radio/CD/DVD Player - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I have a combination radio/cd/dvd player that keeps freezing when playing a DVD. No problems in other modes. It is a Magnadyne and I have to send it to them in California for repair. With postage, etc it is too costly to repair and I am now looking for a replacement. One option is just buy a seperate DVD player and wire it in. But I would like to check other options for a full replacement. Would like some ideas and brands and sites to look for a replacement. Thanks.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I don't know popular brands and availability in Canada, but I would be apt to stick with Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer and possibly Alpine for auto radio products. I would also choose a separate
DVD unit unless there is an overriding reason not to.

However, what I use is an old Kloss Model 88 table radio that has fantastic bass due to a built-in subwoofer, an extremely hot tuner and also a remote. Unfortunately these are no longer being produced. Even though it will run on 12 vdc, I prefer to operate it on ac via a small Phillips 40 watt inverter. I also have a small Sony personal CD player attached to the top of the Kloss with stick-on velcro. When not using it in the trailer, it becomes my shop radio/CD player.

Another option would be to go with an external computer speaker setup. It could be fed by a portable CD player, am-fm-shortwave radio, i-pod or even a keyboard. The better quality inverters provide clean a.c. with almost no loss, so 12 vdc operation is no longer necessary.

If you wanted to go even higher-tech there is the possibility of running everything through a laptop computer via bluetooth technology eliminating the wire connections unit-to-unit. I see where some higher-end auto stereos have bluetooth built-in, so I suppose that would eliminate the need for a separate computer.

So there are a lot of options that you may want to consider.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote