S.C. Mystery Uhaul Solved - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am with Bob when the run around gets to lengthy!

But wonder, can't you title as a (homemade) trailer? I think you can. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #42

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 2003 RVision Thumper by Stratus
Colorado
Finally Got Answers - Titles in CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Sounds like there are other, easier ways, too, Glenn!

I guess those (two) of us that find that shocking are just behind the times.

Francesca
First of all I would like to say thanks to everyone for all your input. So after a dozen plus phone calls and over 4hrs on the phone, I finally got to the right person. They were able to check Kansas laws regarding trailers under 2000lbs. Found out that it is the option of the owner to get the trailer titled and/or registered.

They then told me what all I have to do to get a title in CO. Here are the steps for future reference for those wanting to title something in CO.

First I have to go find a facility that has a certified weight scale and are able to issue a Certified Weight Slip and pay a fee. Not too hard to do. Then I have to take that paperwork with the trailer to a CO State Patrol Office and have the VIN inspected and certified and then pay another fee. Once I have those, I then have to fill out 3 more forms and then take them to my County DMV (who could not give me the correct answers in the first place) to get a title issued, give me a temporary 60 day tag, pay the property taxes, sales tax, licensing fee, and the filing fees for a new title (which takes 30-60 days). OMG! Sometimes you just have to wonder why all the paperwork and why you have to travel all over the world to get one simple thing done.
avsnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnut1 View Post
......... Sometimes you just have to wonder why all the paperwork and why you have to travel all over the world to get one simple thing done.
Maybe it would be easier to just get a license plate in Kansas.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #44

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 2003 RVision Thumper by Stratus
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Maybe it would be easier to just get a license plate in Kansas.
Kansas does not require title and registration for trailers under 2000 lbs. It is the option of the Owner to do so. I have had this for 5 years and have left the Under 2M Kansas tag on it that my Dad bought 7 years ago. I have never had any problems or have ever been pulled over for having two different tags on the vehicle and camper.
avsnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Kansas does not require title and registration for trailers under 2000 lbs. It is the option of the Owner to do so. I have had this for 5 years and have left the Under 2M Kansas tag on it that my Dad bought 7 years ago. I have never had any problems or have ever been pulled over for having two different tags on the vehicle and camper.
TaDa! Problem solved.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #46

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
First of all I would like to say thanks to everyone for all your input. So after a dozen plus phone calls and over 4hrs on the phone, I finally got to the right person. They were able to check Kansas laws regarding trailers under 2000lbs. Found out that it is the option of the owner to get the trailer titled and/or registered.

They then told me what all I have to do to get a title in CO. Here are the steps for future reference for those wanting to title something in CO.

First I have to go find a facility that has a certified weight scale and are able to issue a Certified Weight Slip and pay a fee. Not too hard to do. Then I have to take that paperwork with the trailer to a CO State Patrol Office and have the VIN inspected and certified and then pay another fee. Once I have those, I then have to fill out 3 more forms and then take them to my County DMV (who could not give me the correct answers in the first place) to get a title issued, give me a temporary 60 day tag, pay the property taxes, sales tax, licensing fee, and the filing fees for a new title (which takes 30-60 days). OMG! Sometimes you just have to wonder why all the paperwork and why you have to travel all over the world to get one simple thing done.
There, now- you see?

There's always a legal way if you ask the right questions and want to do it right. Good for you for goin' the extra mile, Rhonda!

And unless I miss my guess, in future I'd bet you won't be buying a no-Title vehicle/trailer again...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #47

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Well, I guess I live in one of those less secure, wild west kinda jurisdictions. When I registered my second 4500, Launch Pad, the registration said Trillium 450, I said, “No, no, it's a 4500”. She said, “Are you sure?”, I said “Yup”, She said “OK”.
I haven't tried recently, but a hand written bill of sale, signed by the previous owner, with a VIN, works. When I was a kid, I registered a Honda MB5 motorcycle, my first motor vehicle. The bill of sale had what I and the previous owner thought was the VIN stamped on the steering head. Not having a clue, I thought that a five digit number really was the VIN. The same conversation that I described above happened again, and that is what was on my pink card. I was eventually stopped by several police officers, (you know.... and had some spectacular wipe-outs). Not one of those fine officers questioned my five digit VIN. I guess they figured they coudn't have made more then 99 999 of them. Well, they are kinda a weard bike.
http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/21983-honda-mb5-3.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul