S.C. Mystery Uhaul Solved - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
S.C. Mystery Uhaul Solved

Well I made a trip to S.C. to check out the 1984 Uhaul that was listed as a 13' with a shower. It turns out the man was 70 years old. It is a 1985 VT. It has stood the test of time. I ended up buying the egg after some negotiations and I brought it home. With some elbow grease I should be able to clean it up pretty good. My plans are to camp in it or later I may end up selling it after some time. Don't know yet. I do have a few questions I hope someone can help with. The Title has the correct Vin # but the model says "14 HV1 ". I measured the camper from the back bumper to the end of the hitch and it is right at 18'. Whats up with that? The other question is how do you all winterize these. Newer campers have the winterizing kits and of course this don't that I have seen. It's in the 20s now where I live. This is what I did. I drained the water heater, hooked up the air compressor to the city water inlet with 40 lbs of pressure and opened up the kit sink, bath sink and shower until no more water would blow out. Then I poured RV antifreeze down the traps. Any suggestions is welcomed. Thanks
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You should be fine. Pictures of your new unit, we love pictures.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations. You have a somewhat rare and high quality camper.

I have a CT, so I'll let a VT owner speak to the winterization process.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What does the title say for weight, the seller advertised it as 1250 which is the weight of the CT 13, the smaller trailer. Congratulations on your purchase, we almost went to look at it on our way back north.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You are a lucky man, Ted!! Take care of that baby, they only made about 200 of them originally. Will love to see photos when you post them. woops, your photos popped up just as I posted this Looking at them now, very nice!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #7

Well the man had never sent the title in from when he bought it in Tenn. from a RV dealer. He said the dealer had got it from a woman in OR. So we had to go to DMV in S.C. to get the title straight. He had to get it titled in his name before he could sell it. He told the DMV the weight was 1250 and thats what they put on the title. I could barely read the sticker on the side when I got home and it read 2000. So, I may try to get that changed when I send the title off through DMV next week. Does anyone know why the model would say 14HV1. I know he didn't write anything down on the model so it must have popped up when they ran the VID# and printed the new title in his name so he could sign it over to me. Did my pics work?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Well I made a trip to S.C. to check out the 1984 Uhaul that was listed as a 13' with a shower. It turns out the man was 70 years old. It is a 1985 VT. It has stood the test of time. I ended up buying the egg after some negotiations and I brought it home. With some elbow grease I should be able to clean it up pretty good. My plans are to camp in it or later I may end up selling it after some time. Don't know yet. I do have a few questions I hope someone can help with. The Title has the correct Vin # but the model says "14 HV1 ". I measured the camper from the back bumper to the end of the hitch and it is right at 18'. Whats up with that? The other question is how do you all winterize these. Newer campers have the winterizing kits and of course this don't that I have seen. It's in the 20s now where I live. This is what I did. I drained the water heater, hooked up the air compressor to the city water inlet with 40 lbs of pressure and opened up the kit sink, bath sink and shower until no more water would blow out. Then I poured RV antifreeze down the traps. Any suggestions is welcomed. Thanks
Congratulations!

Per the numbers "conflict" above:
The length (if indeed that's what the "14" refers to) is likely that of the trailer body excluding the frame. This is a very common "misdenominator" in the trailer world...since the Title/VINs match, you're in good shape!

Francesca.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

Maybe Chris Jones can shed some light on the numbering system. He works for UHaul.

Photos came through great. It looks pretty original and whoever owned it seemed to respect it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #10

So I heard that they onl made 13' and 16' VTs. I also heard the entire length is measured fro bumper to end of hitch. Mine is 18' so is it still a 16VT?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
So I heard that they onl made 13' and 16' VTs. I also heard the entire length is measured fro bumper to end of hitch. Mine is 18' so is it still a 16VT?

Yes, yours is a VT. They only made CT (Camper, 13 foot) and VT (Vacationer,16 foot). You have a surge brake on the front, maybe that adds slightly to the length.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looks good, guess we should have looked at it. I also see gold mining equipment in some of the photos. Friends that we camped with Dec. through Feb. are now at Lucky Strike gold mine / campground in NC. We stopped there for a night last April, but didn't try panning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Yes surge brake. Guess that does make it longer Thomas. Mary and Bob good eye. Prospector at heart. I do pan, highbank, sluice, ect. I have been to Lucky Strike several times.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Great find...................congratulations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yo Ted, you're one lucky person. LOTS of people wish they could have a "find" like yours... MAKE MEMORIES!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Cool Beans!!!! Looks like it just needs to be cleaned up. Congradulations!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #17

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Looks like you struck gold! Err. . um. . fiberglass! Congratulations.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
What a fine looking trailer. Other than the rusty LP tank of course, but that's easy to replace. The rest looks like it's ready to camp in right now. You got yourself a good one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #19

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
It's not 'Fool's Gold'

Yea Man, You struck real UHaul GOLD!!! Happy UHaulin!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #20

Well it looks like I might be flipping the Uhaul. I have checked it all out and all componants work very good. The wife said she would rather keep using our current 2005 trailer (1350) and she is worried that the extra weight (2000) will be a factor with my colorado. It seemed to do ok coming home and pulled good with no swaying at 65 MPH. But once we load it up it might be a differant story. So, I have to make her feel comfortable and safe as well. So, probably will be relisting today or tomorrow.

Tags
uhaul