Safe to not use a battery box? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Safe to not use a battery box?

Hi all,

We have a 92 bigfoot 17 and it is time to get a new battery. Currently, our tongue has a battery box that is just big enough for a group 24 battery. We would like to upgrade to at least a group 27 and it means we will have to forego using a battery box.

Some like this:

We still have the tongue box that comes with the Bigfoot, so the entire front area (battery and propane tanks) are still protected. Is this setup safe?

Thank you all!
Jacqueline in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I think it will be fine with a better strap. You don't want the battery to become a missile in the event of a collision.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree it would be fine
However if it was me i would check with an auto parts store many of them care different size battery boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Do you have a battery box in your car or truck ?? I don't think so. You do need to have the battery held in place securely and you do need some protection for the positive terminal post. I modified my Bigfoot 17 to put a group 30 in it. Amazon sells a hold down tray and a protective cover for the positive terminal. I did add a plywood base that just fits into the metal cross member as the new battery tray has to extend beyond the old try by about 1/2 inch. An easy modification. Now all I need is a group 30 battery. If you want to go with a group 27, I think a bigger battery box would fit without any modification.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
... You do need to have the battery held in place securely and you do need some protection for the positive terminal post. ....
BINGO.. the big danger here is some kunckehead (or child), dropping a wrench, metal pie plate, fork or spoon, etc. across the terminals.. that would be a bad day.

A fuse and fuse holder like this can reduce but not fully eliminate that risk.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
With the battery that close to the propane tanks , I would want the battery in a battery box with a lockable lid .
A battery box costs about $10 hardly enough money to worry about.
I've seen batteries explode so I may be slightly cautious.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Looks to me that there is enough room for a group 27 battery box. For safety reasons I would put it in a box. It would also will help to keep your connections clean as the area you have it striped is open on the underside and subject to road spray on a rainy BC day ;-)

You can pick a box up cheap at Canadian Tire or Princes Auto or Lordco.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Why do you feel the need to have a group 27 battery instead of the 24?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just go to an auto parts store and purchase the larger battery box. I Did.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
We wanted a larger battey so we can camp for several days without recharging. Ideally we would go with dual 6 volt batteries but there is simply no room for that on the Bigfoot tongue.

We found that there seems to be more selection in terms of amp hrs in the group 27 format. For instance, trojan makes one that goes up to 150ah. I think the model is T-1275.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline in BC View Post
We wanted a larger battey so we can camp for several days without recharging. Ideally we would go with dual 6 volt batteries but there is simply no room for that on the Bigfoot tongue.
We found that there seems to be more selection in terms of amp hrs in the group 27 format. For instance, trojan makes one that goes up to 150ah. I think the model is T-1275.
You can get boxes to fit any battery size. You don't need a box, but it does look cleaner that way and as Gordon pointed out it also protects it from being accidently shorted out. Yes, the set up you show is safe.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Upon closer inspection of your photo, I fail to see a fuse anywhere in the photo.

You probably know all this already, but for anyone else:

If anything metal makes contact with the positive terminal, or if the wire in the positive cable (before a fuse) is exposed, and they make contact with the negative terminal, or about anything metal on (or a part of) the tongue and frame, then catastrophe will be the likely result.

You need a fuse as close to the positive terminal as possible. Since the Blue Sea one that I linked to above sits ON the terminal, that is as close as possible and leaves only the terminal unprotected. A box would offer much protection from shorting out the otherwise exposed terminal. An inline fuse will not be as close but can and should within a few inches. Any short after the fuse can be scary also, but usually not catastrophic.

I would say that this goes for both wires also. Looks like the second connection to the positive terminal might be for your break-away switch. The smaller wire won't carry as much current as the large one would in case of a short but it will still be bad. You could connect both wires to the Blue Sea fuse terminal to protect them both from shorts and not have to change anything in your cabling.

However I would also suggest that you cabling is longer than needed, and any excess cable is a potential short if the insulation becomes worn. Perhaps it was only temporary however and as long as it is protected and secured well, it is MUCH less of a concern than the fuse.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sorry...I view that picture as TOTALLY UNSAFE! Yes, you have a battery in your automobile not in a "box" but it IS closed in under a hood where something cant fall on it.

I just cant believe a question could come up like this when battery boxes are too cheap to argue about...especially where the positive/negative battery terminals are exposed AND in easy reach for children!!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline in BC View Post
If you loose one of the propane tanks and move one forward and put the two 6 volts behind you would have lots of room...... you will be surprised as to how long one tank will last you.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #15

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
BATTERY

Jacqueline,
Get the BOX! Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It looks to me like that all that is necessary is simply turning the battery "long ways" in the same area! Plenty of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you loose one of the propane tanks and move one forward and put the two 6 volts behind you would have lots of room...... you will be surprised as to how long one tank will last you.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I must be missing something. I have had that unpleasant surprise of crossing the battery terminals with a wrench, and I'm very careful now. However, that is a momentary short, whereas a battery flooded on top with rain water might be the short that destroys the battery for good. Am I wrong?

And, gordon2, what size fuse do you use and why? Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
No, you shouldn't run like that. Not safe.
You could put a box on there so easy...

Paul
Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
It looks to me like that all that is necessary is simply turning the battery "long ways" in the same area! Plenty of room.
Thats how mine are mounted & looking at the OP's picture it appears it may be do able as well but they do take up a fair bit of space. On mine the custom made box for the two 6 volts - in a very tight fit measures 18 3/4" (sideways) x 11 1/4" (back to front).
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Just thought we should clarify, our trailer has a travel cover over both the propane tank and the battery, as can be seen from the additional photos attached. Hopefully this will address the safety concerns regarding kids, rain water, etc.

gordon2 has a great tip on the fuse, we will definitely look into it.

carol, would love to see your setup with the custom box -- really love to fit a couple of 6 volts in there!

Tags
battery