Safety Check on Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My '75 Boler leans to the right as you face the hitch a few degrees (the door is on the left as you face the hitch)...what should I do to make sure it's roadworthy (bearings, axles, etc., is all new to me--before I take it out want to make sure it's safe!). I replaced bald tires, got it all rewired to street legal, used marine caulk to seal a few minor leaks, some cosmetic things...but mainly wanted to tackle mechanical issues first. Is the lean ominous? Should I take it to a regular car mechanic? Thank-you
Attached Thumbnails
PICT3069.JPG  
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Suzanne, I can not tell you about the lean but here are a few things I do every season:
Easy stuff first..Visualy inspect tires..tread and side walls for bulges or ware and air pressure.
get wheel bearings packed (regular machanic can do this)
Make sure the hitch is adjusted so it will not come off T.V. by jacking up trailer while hitched to T.V., if T.V. goes up too your all set. Also check condition of safty chains.
Make sure gas bottle (and Battery if on tongue) is secure and will not fall off and turn gas off.
Check that all lights work good.
Check to make sure door will not open while in transite.
make sure all cubby doors will not open while in transite.
I have seen many threads about the required clearance but if I got in the Boler and rocked it hard, had wife was to be looking at wheel well and it didn't rub I would say "no worries"
Now get down and dirty (or go to garage and have then lift it for you) and get down under the trailer and visualy inspect the frame for any stress cracks or flakeing rust that may have weakend the frame.
Sounds bad but I find no bad spots on my 80 Boler so the steel used must have been good.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #3

Discouragement---holding at bay... There's two (at least) categories of FGRV rehab people...1. Mechanical/Electrical Savvy Types and 2. Cosmetic (caulk and paint) Types. I am in category 2, and we depend on Category 1 people to maintain our rigs so we have something to decorate! Thankyou , very much .
I'm honestly thinking of shoring up this baby to get it solid and safe and then SELLING IT. I guess that's why I have a field of expertise and a job, but it's not in the area of breakers busses bearing and propane lines! Sometimes it's worth it to pay someone for a suitable rig.
Ah, wouldn't it be nice to just hang some curtains and go camping?
Thank you again!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Suzanne, I am sure Woodinville has no shortage of Horse trailer repair places.

They can put it up on a rack and do a complete running gear inspection for probably less than 35 bucks, if no repairs are needed.

If they find cracks, brake problems etc.. the repairs are usually quick and easy for them.

My "Trailer Guy" does almost exclusively horse trailers and the frame and running gear are second nature to him.. almost "Cute".

Propane and inside electrical.. an RV place can do that inspection as well, but I bet horse trailer guy can too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #5

Brilliant...we have a high horse ownership per capita...never thought of the horse trailer idea. I'd gone to an RV place and the lot was full of megarigs, I almost felt "embarrassed", or that I should at least explain WHY I was fixing up the orange dinky...it looked so, well, tiny and abandoned, between two Class A busses. And it was pretty costly...I think even U-Haul might be an idea since they do some wiring at SOME of them. Thanks for the idea!
Quote:
Suzanne, I am sure Woodinville has no shortage of Horse trailer repair places.

They can put it up on a rack and do a complete running gear inspection for probably less than 35 bucks, if no repairs are needed.

If they find cracks, brake problems etc.. the repairs are usually quick and easy for them.

My "Trailer Guy" does almost exclusively horse trailers and the frame and running gear are second nature to him.. almost "Cute".

Propane and inside electrical.. an RV place can do that inspection as well, but I bet horse trailer guy can too.

Tags
boler