Safety Latch for Small Dometic Fridge? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
I posted this over on the, ahem, Casita site, but knowing my roots and that there are a lot of smaller eggs here, maybe someone else has been through this. I'm looking for something similar to a child-proof latch to put on our small Dometic refrigerator. It's the fridge with the little grooved rotating latch at the upper corner. More than once it has not been locked before departing (not naming names here), with the resultant emptying of the fridge all over the floor while driving. Makes for a nice surprise when opening the camper door. One of these events sort of negates all considerations for precooling the fridge before departing! We can talk a lot about checklists before departure, etc, but sometimes it's worth something a little more reliable. I'm just curious to know if anyone has fashioned such a device already before I start inventing something. I would really like it to be something that catches automatically, every time the door is shut, and that can be easily opened when desired. A spring steel clip over the top of the door is the type of thing I have in mind, hopefully mounted through the same hole that holds the rotating plastic catch now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
I posted this over on the, ahem, Casita site, but knowing my roots and that there are a lot of smaller eggs here, maybe someone else has been through this. I'm looking for something similar to a child-proof latch to put on our small Dometic refrigerator. It's the fridge with the little grooved rotating latch at the upper corner. More than once it has not been locked before departing (not naming names here), with the resultant emptying of the fridge all over the floor while driving. Makes for a nice surprise when opening the camper door. One of these events sort of negates all considerations for precooling the fridge before departing! We can talk a lot about checklists before departure, etc, but sometimes it's worth something a little more reliable. I'm just curious to know if anyone has fashioned such a device already before I start inventing something. I would really like it to be something that catches automatically, every time the door is shut, and that can be easily opened when desired. A spring steel clip over the top of the door is the type of thing I have in mind, hopefully mounted through the same hole that holds the rotating plastic catch now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Parker
Hi Parker,
I'm hesitant to post about this with out the pics. to help; but I'll give it a try.
We had the same problem with the Dometic fridge in our 79 trilli. 4500. I was in a hurry, in in search of a quick, temperary solution. I had in mind a similar idea as your's; spring steel clip over the top of the existing, rounded, screw. After searching my shop I came up with a "paper clip", simple, hard to describe, but readily available (a spring steel C shaped clip with two leverage arms that pivot, and are ultimately removable). I removed the arms, drilled a hole in one side of the clip, installed this piece under screw on the top of the fridge. Now the rounded screw, on the top of the door, passes under this clip and snaps the door closed. It's worked so good that I'm not really inclined to find a "better" fix.
Hope this helps!
I can can try and post pics. if ness.
Scott
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
After searching my shop I came up with a "paper clip", simple, hard to describe, but readily available (a spring steel C shaped clip with two leverage arms that pivot, and are ultimately removable).
Scott,

I've got the idea, have collection of those clips here, and will have a look. Right now, I can't picture the screw you'r describing, but maybe it will make sense when I see it. There is a countersunk M6 screw through the rotating latch, which catches on a little tang on top of the door. Maybe there is a screw holding this piece on top of the door? I have the garage shut down for the night, but I'll be having a look in the morning!

Thanks,
Parker
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Our low tech simple solution to the door latch is a twist tie before departure.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Our low tech simple solution to the door latch is a twist tie before departure.
Maybe a twist tie around my finger would help me remember to be sure it's locked!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
When I called Dometic for a replacement they referred me on to some outfit which made a replacement device, since the original is not available. It has a nylon peg with a little chain and fits right on the thing without any modifications. Sorry I can't recall the outfit, but there is one available and it works quite well.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
When I called Dometic for a replacement they referred me on to some outfit which made a replacement device, since the original is not available. It has a nylon peg with a little chain and fits right on the thing without any modifications. Sorry I can't recall the outfit, but there is one available and it works quite well.
Per,

Interesting! I'll give them a try. Ours works okay, as long as we remember to set it to the locked position, but some other design may be more conducive to remember it.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Scott h,
Would you please post some pictures. It sounds like a pretty easy fix.
thanks,
Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
There are child safety locks designed for use on home refrigerators that should work. About $5 for a pack of 2. Just peel and stick to affix. To use just snap one tab into the other. You would have to remember to use it however.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

Ohio
I looked at some at Lowes designed for cabinets, but decided they wouldn't work since you have to be able to reach in far enough behind the door to release it. The way the fridge is made, I don't think I could do it. I haven't found any specifically for a refrigerator, but I'll try again. Thanks!

Parker
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #11

Ohio
Per,

I called PPL, and they contacted the Dometic factory about a replacement as you described. All they have is the original style. Is this an aftermarket item? Can you provide any more info? Based on your description, I'm considering drilling the hole a little deeper into the top of the door where the existing plastic tang sits that the latch catches. If the hole is a little deeper, it would be reasonable to make a pin to drop through the original threaded hole in the metal arm into the top of the door. Right now, the hole is probably too shallow to count on the pin staying in place. For some reason, I think a pin arrangement could me made a little more difficult to forget.

Parker
Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I think you're on the right track looking at child safety equipment. I saw a couple things that look interesting

Amazon.com: Fridge Guard Appliance Safety Lock in CLEAR: Baby

http://smallrepairs.50webs.com/eng/refrigerator_2.htm

Amazon.com: Glass Video/Display Cabinet Latch (Colors May Vary): Baby

Do you remember those old style Norge refrigerator handle/locks? There is one on this page but it costs a fortune!

Die Cast Refrigerator Latch

But, if you look a little farther down there are some economical options.

Regards,

Matt

Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chroust View Post
I think you're on the right track looking at child safety equipment. I saw a couple things that look interesting

Amazon.com: Fridge Guard Appliance Safety Lock in CLEAR: Baby

Matt,

Wow, this is great! I should have thought of Amazon. The clear one (I see others making it in white) should do the trick. I'll double check to be sure I have room on the side to mount it and then give it a try. If that doesn't work, I'll continue exploring all your other links.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Parker,

The ones we bought don't look anything like those in the Amazon link.
I purchased them at WalMart to hold the dorm-style, 110-volt-only frig closed while travel (in our 13' Scamp). We sold the camper before we had a chance to try them. Don't have the package anymore, but they are made by Safety 1st. Figured they would allow some flexibility in where/how to attach due to the flexible soft-plastic "belt". Stick the "belt" to the cabinet (male buckle at loose end) and the female buckle to the front of the frig.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
We've used a "safety first"- type frig latch for five years. The pin on the Dometic would gradually work its way up en-route with messy results. The safety latch tab stays up and out of the way for daily use, but locks securely for travel. It is now part of our "pre-flight" check list before hitting the road. Ours was five bucks at Ikea, but most large stores have them.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Camelford View Post
We've used a "safety first"- type frig latch for five years. The pin on the Dometic would gradually work its way up en-route with messy results. The safety latch tab stays up and out of the way for daily use, but locks securely for travel. It is now part of our "pre-flight" check list before hitting the road. Ours was five bucks at Ikea, but most large stores have them.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad
Darnelle and Alistair,

Thanks for the info on the Safety 1st latch. I'll see if I can't find such a thing here before heading out. I did come across a latch on an RV site that looks good as well, but it looks like it will require drilling to mount. I'd rather try less permanent ideas first.

Parker
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
Scott h,
Would you please post some pictures. It sounds like a pretty easy fix.
thanks,
Ed D
Ed,
Sorry this took so long.
Open

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1280285137
Closed
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1280285227
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #18

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1280285401
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
refrig lock

Try the site--my precious kid--they have several refrig locks that just adhere to refrig-no drilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Buckley View Post

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Parker
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Scott
Thanks for the pictures, I'm going to give it a try.
Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge