Sagging Trillium Door Fix - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Ontario
Hi All
Looking at re-positioning the hinge(s) on our '73 Trillium 1300, to remedy a sagging door.
Anybody have first hand experience with this?
I guess I'm looking for do's and don'ts...particularly the "don'ts" !!!
-How to support the door, while upper hinge is disabled.
-Fill mat'l for old holes..what's best...epoxy, or fibreglass resin
-should door be shimmed,or braced somehow, to allow existing hinge to be used as "template" to pinpoint new hole locations on the shell?
Any other important advice? I need all the help I can get BEFORE I start !!!

Joe/Peterborough

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
contact team trillium out in bc . joe is the man you need to talk to . they sell new door hinges seems they use the same hinge on the new trilliums. use some get rot and inject it into old screw holes this hardeds the wood under the fiberglass , then drill out a slighty large hole and glue in a dowel in to hole then redrill for new hinges

Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner
FWIW, when I got my Trill. last fall one of the first fixes was to order a new set of hinges from team trillium. My door was sagging quite badly and was not doing a good job of keeping out the weather. Basically I drilled out the original holes in the trailer body a bit to allow insertion of metal inserts. They have an aggressive thread on the outside diameter that when screwed in bite into the wood/fiberglass. A bit of epoxy in the hole first is a good thing. They also have a threaded hole running thru the center where the new hinge screws will go. Once you attach the new hinges with their bolts centered in the old hole locations you will find that your door no longer sags. A good bit of the sagging came from the pivot within the hinge themselves. As the pin wears out it allows the hinge itself to sag.
K
Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #4

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Ontario
Thanx, Al and Kevin
Looks like both of you agree I should contact Team Trillium. I will do that shortly.
Kevin, do the metal inserts come with the hinge set?
Actually, there seems to be no movement in the hinge when I lift hard on the door...pivots may not be worn after all. Where else could sag be initiated?Screw holes enlarging, and "key holing"?

J/P
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner
Quote:
Thanx, Al and Kevin
Looks like both of you agree I should contact Team Trillium. I will do that shortly.
Kevin, do the metal inserts come with the hinge set?
Actually, there seems to be no movement in the hinge when I lift hard on the door...pivots may not be worn after all. Where else could sag be initiated?Screw holes enlarging, and "key holing"?

J/P
I picked up the inserts at Home Depot. You will find them in the nuts/bolts section where they have rows of little clear drawers of assorted goodies. I was surprised at how much sag resulted from what appeared to be minimal wear of the hinge pin. Team Trillium is THE place to get new hinges. I think mine were less than $100.00/pr including shipping. They come with stainless screws. I got stainless bolts though, which had the same thread as the inserts.

Tags
trillium