sale prices of used Scamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am just wondering if there is a place online to get an idea of what these little Scamps are worth. I have mine for sale, and thought sure it would sell right away. It has not even been looked at. Just wondering.
Would appreciate thoughts on price. Mine is a 2000 - 16 ft without bathroom, has air and other extras, no furnace though
Thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Yes, here is NADA site. Typically, the resale values for fiberglass units are somewhat low in NADA, so they are only a starting place, but of course a savvy buyer will also have looked them up.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks Pete, those prices are mighty low. Those are more like give away prices.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Supply and demand are the biggest selling features/reasons. I'm thinking the biggest reason you're not getting any bites Karalyn, is most folks looking for a 16 footer also want a full toilet/shower. The lack of a furnace shouldn't be the deal breaker.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
In any negotiation, it is easy for the seller to reduce price, impossible to raise it. You must also realize that there are always more fish in the stream.

In the auto industry they figure roughly 30 percent drop per year for the value of a used car. That might work for a Scamp that is completely stock, however instead of using as a basis the original cost of the unit, I would use the new replacement cost.

Then since there is little styling-type, planned obsolescence by the manufacturer, I would reduce the 30 percent to something smaller, perhaps start at 10 to 15 percent, going a little higher if there is no response to your offer.

Remember that the percentage is compounded per year, not taken one-shot. It does make a difference, especially for an older unit.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'd also consider that the company (Scamp) is currently out of production (because of their factory fire) so buying used is (currently) the only way to get one of these puppies. That would surely tend to keep resale values high(er).

Hang in there, Karalyn. You just need the right person to come along...

Why don't you go ahead and post a couple pics of it on your ad. Maybe just seeing how beautiful it is will tempt somebody who's looking.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
I suggest that you do an ebay search of completed Scamp or other similar trailer auctions before you drop the price. Ebay will give you an idea of what they are selling for which is in fact the only real guide to their value. The Shopping season is just picking up so be patient. Have you listed it on all the "usual and customary" sites sites? How about Craigs List?

Dave and Diane
Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Hi Karalyn,

Where are you advertising? I would suggest advertising on a couple of Casita forums as well. I actually sold our first Scamp from someone who saw it on the Casita Forums.

You could always put it on eBay with the reserve set at your current asking price.

Who knows, a bidding war may start and you could get more than you're asking?

Good luck, Jeremy
Old 04-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #9

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The lack of bathroom is likely part of it (although I personally prefer it that way).

Given different circumstances I'd have been calling you actually.

Likely is a pretty good time to be selling on eBay, if need be. Just be sure to have plenty of current photos.

Oh... And be sure to straighten-up and clean the trailer before you take the photos. I'm not saying anything about YOUR trailer (please don't take it that way), but you wouldn't believe the number of people selling trailers who take photos with junk laying all around the interior. God forbid they spend 10 minutes cleaning before trying to sell. Hard to tell how much it affects the final sales price. But it's a safe bet it affects it at LEAST as much as 10 minutes of your time is worth.

Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Karalyn,

There are a variety of factors that affect trailer sales. First and foremost is the time of year. RVs just don't sell very well when there's snow on the ground. While we here are wacko about our trailers every day, all year long the general camping public is pretty seasonal.

Secondarily, how the trailer is equipped is also a significant factor, and I suspect that Donna's comment is correct. While the lack of bath/furnace won't kill a deal, it may limit the number of folks who are interested as many of them (me included) aren't looking for a "hard tent" but are after a fully self-contained unit in the 16'. The right person WILL come along tho...

The last thing is that you have to have good photos and LOTS of them. It really allows you to differentiate your ad/sales pitch from everyone else's. The more detailed photos you offer, the better potential buyers can deteremine that your trailer is the one for them. By way of example, here are a few photos of trailers I've sold over the past couple of years. I didn't have any of them longer than a week after I advertised them.

Trailer photos

Good luck!

Roger
Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Karalyn,
we bought our little Scamp '85 on ebay, with some fierce bidding. Missed 2 before finally won this one. Had to travel from texas to alabama to get. may be why such good price too, most folks there seemed to want the bigger units. In the capgrounds, we were the tiniest camper beside the tents! ha!
Check out the Scamp and Casita sites and who is selling wanting price. this should help.
In our metroplex between Dallas and Ft. Worth, Scamps/Casitas are hot! most were priced over what we could afford, hence our '85 which needs some repair.
I agree ebay wth a reserve is your best bet. If you continue to get few bids, lower your price or consider getting the potty put into the closet like i have seen on the casita site.
good luck. we love our 'new' little Scamp. There's somebody out there right now wanting your little trailer.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #12

I sold the Scamp on Mothers day. It went clear to Clifornia. I found it hard to comprehend someone willing to drive clear from California to Minnesota just for a Scamp. Anyways, just to let you all know it did sell

Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Name: Marian
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Hi Karalyn. I am interested in purchasing a Scamp...would prefer the 13ft, but for the right price will look at larger ones. What is the price of your unit, and where are the pictures posted?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #14

Name: Marian
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Never mind. I see that you sold it. Thanks!
Closed Thread