Satellite Radio - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My birthday yesterday, and I got a Sirius Stiletto 2 sat radio. Just the top of the line.

I've been reading the instruction manual for mounting the vehicle antennae and I've arrived at a conundrum.

I gather I will have to get a second vehicle antennae in order to move the radio from the vehicle to the trailer, if I hope to keep the installation neat.

But, it's the vehicle mount that appears to be a problem. It is supposed to have an unobstructed view of the sky, normally it would be mounted in the centre of the roof, near the rear hatch ( on my vehicle ). It needs at least 3 inches of space on all sides.

And, I'm likely to be carrying my canoe, which on a RAV4 doesn't leave much unobstructed space.

I'm not sure if this is a huge issue, since I took the radio with the headset / antennae out to the trailer and had good reception inside a trailer parked under a huge cedar tree.

Can anybody enlighten me on the vehicle mount?

baglo

Old 12-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
SW Ohio
My husband got the "boom box" so he can carry his around. You can buy an extra antenna and mount one on the trailer, the other you keep for mobile use.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Instead of putting the antenna on the roof as instructed, I simply placed it on the dashboard of the Jeep that I owned at the time. I found that the speaker grille was magnetic and it would stay in place while having an unobstructed view of the sky.

Try the antenna in a few different places. I'll bet you find something that works quite well even though it isn't quite what the instruction manual recomends.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a huge issue, since I took the radio with the headset / antennae out to the trailer and had good reception inside a trailer parked under a huge cedar tree.
The radio should work just fine inside a fiberglass egg. Fiberglass is used for weather protection on microwave radio antennas. There are a couple of exceptions, aluminum foil backed insulation and an exterior repaint with metalic pigment. Since yours worked, I would skip the external antenna (and the possibility of a leak where the coax enters the egg).
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
On our Subaru Outback (with sun roof), I mounted it centered a few inches behind the windshield and ran the wire forward to the windshield weather stripping. It tucked neatly under the weatherstripping (using a pop cycle stick), so I could route it around the windshield, then pull it out at the lower right corner to come in at the front edge of the right door. This is one of the suggested methods in the instructions that came with our unit. With a canoe or cargo box on top, you may want to move the antenna to one side of the roof. One other method I've seen was on a rental car. They mounted it on the cowling area between the windshield and the back edge of the hood, then ran the wire under the hood. I really don't think it's all that critical as long as it has a clear view of the sky and is on a reasonably horizontal surface.

Parker
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Glen, most of the 'car people' I know that have this system mount theirs on the top rim/lip of the cars trunk and those with Eggs, mount them on the rock guard whiches raises nicely when opened.....

OH an BTW..... <sup>Happy Belated Birthday</sup> you ol...
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I went to Best Buy and had mine done. they put the ant. just over the front windshield. I also installed the devise
that dominate the 88.1 spot on my FM radio. works great in the summer and I bought the boom box for the boat and trailer.
problem is the reception is bad in the winter due to the angle of the earth to the satelites. they won't give me a straight answer so I'm a bit peeved. I sspent and extra 200 to do the proper install and it's still cutting out.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Scott, I am told (so this info MAY be 3rd or 4th hand) that better reception can be had IF you sign up through/at one of the heavy transport truck dealers.
I'm told that if you sign up there that your 'feed' will be American based as opposed to Canadian
.....what that means is basically you won't have as much Can/Con as its called (Canadian Content). Most of the car people here on the coast that have Sat/Radio have done this and swear by the reception. Again this MAY be hearsay....

IF I could verify this, I'd sign up PDQ. LOL!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #9

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Glenn, my current Sirrius aerial is just laying on top of the dash in my Saturn Vue. In fact, it is the tightness of the cable that keeps it from sliding all around. It is not even fastened down to the dash. Basically, my only bad reception areas are around bridges. May not be the best, but it works for me and I can move it from one vehicle to the next.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #10

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Glenn, my current Sirrius aerial is just laying on top of the dash in my Saturn Vue. In fact, it is the tightness of the cable that keeps it from sliding all around. It is not even fastened down to the dash. Basically, my only bad reception areas are around bridges. May not be the best, but it works for me and I can move it from one vehicle to the next.
What I've learned so far is do nothing permanent. And, I plan to do nothing until temps rise substantially. I'm not keen on loading the canoe on the Rav in -6 C weather just to see if I get reception with the canoe in the way. Besides, I will probably spend the next three months reading the instruction manual.

This Stiletto 2 comes with a headset with built in antennae, for listening in the park, an antenna and mount for the car and an antennae and dock for the house ( I think, since I'm still exploring the box it came in ). It's about half again the size of an iPhone and receives Sat and Internet radio via WiFi and can be used as an MP3 player. I said it was top of the line didn't I?

So, it was my birthday Wed. and I'll get the Visa bill next week...

baglo