Scamp 13 77' Rivets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Jose
Trailer: Scamp 13' 77 (:
Nevada
Scamp 13 77' Rivets

I'm on the last process of putting my scamp together. Next step would be "the Rivets job". It even sounds scary.. Well, I'm searching for help, again. I see there are different sizes. 1- Can I get them from Home Depot, or Lowes? Or it has to be from the scamp website? 2- How many and what size I should get? 3- Is there a glue that goes in between the rivets and the fiberglass? Thanks in advance, Chita...
Chita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You should be able to get the rivets you need and the washers and caps (if you are adding them) from Home Depot or Lowes. No glue goes between the rivets and the fiberglass.

There is a thread called Scamp Rivet Size List that should help you decide what sizes to buy.

Here is a chart which shows guidelines for Rivets and how long they should be etc.

Scamp Facebook has a video on how to shoot rivets
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
No glue- but you should use butyl tape between the rivet head and trailer, or between the snap cap and trailer if you use them.

When I talked to Kent (owner of Scamp) he said they use a caulking/sealant on the rivets when they install them. I would almost swear he said "silicone"- but I think he may just have been saying that as general term, as in make me a "xerox" or pass me a "Kleenex".
He also really advised me to use the Snap caps with the exterior rivets. He said otherwise the rivets will allow water through their tiny shafts. They mandrel shafts could be carefully sealed 1 at a time, but the snap caps are probably a better long term fix for sealing them.
Otherwise I like the look of the raw rivets better than the snap caps.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
When I talked to Kent (owner of Scamp) he said they use a caulking/sealant on the rivets when they install them. I would almost swear he said "silicone"- but I think he may just have been saying that as general term, as in make me a "xerox" or pass me a "Kleenex".
He probable did say a "silicone" based caulking as it the type that I have been taught that will bond the best will plastics, which the cap holders are & it will also remain a bit flexible (yes the sides of the trailer do flex a little on rough roads). I also put a tiny dab of silicone calking on the trailer side of the snap holders before installing - I tried using Butyl tape on the last set of rivets I replaced - putting a tiny amount on the trailer side of the snap cover holders and found due to the small amount needed and the stickiness of the Butyl that it was a bit more messy - tape sticking to my fingers etc and having to go back & carefully trim away the excess that squeezed out from each cap, resulting in it being far more time consuming. Oh I know that silicone caulking is not a popular item and I personally use Butyl tape for most applications on the trailer but I dont feel guilty using such a tiny amount under a snap cap.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Our local Home Depot / Lowes didn't carry long enough rivets. Most of the structural rivets run 1" to 1-1/4" long X 3/16" shank. I ended up buying what I needed straight from Scamp. I used 3/M 4200 sealant on the rivet shank to seal under the plastic cap. I filled the pop rivet shank hole with the sealer after poping the rivet then put on the button cap. I dont like the stress on the plastic snap bottom where the rivet shank goes through with 3/16" rivets, too much force and when the plastic gets old it will split so I drilled out the center hole to the rivet shank size.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Our local Home Depot / Lowes didn't carry long enough rivets. Most of the structural rivets run 1" to 1-1/4" long X 3/16" shank. I ended up buying what I needed straight from Scamp. .
I actually had a hard time find one the rivets in the correct length as well and ended up having to buy a really big box of them from a company called Fastenal - way more than I will use in the trailers life time and they were not cheap. There is a lot to be said with just buying directly from Scamp the pre packaged amount they sell.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jose
Since you have ensolite interior most rivets can be found locally at a Hwd. store. Lowes and HD don't have that big of a selection. The Ratfur trailers take much longer rivets. 3/16 x 5/8L can be used with your acorn nuts for holding in the cabinets. 1/8 X 1/2L will work for your curtain rod holders. The odd ball rivets are your jalose window rivets you will need to get them from Scamp. They are 9/64 X 9/16L you will need to go to the hwd. store and buy some stainless flat washers for backers. I counter sink the rivet holes very slightly and use butyl under the cap base and seal the center of the rivet with a dab of sealant under the cap.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jose
Since you have ensolite interior most rivets can be found locally at a Hwd. store. Lowes and HD don't have that big of a selection. The Ratfur trailers take much longer rivets. 3/16 x 5/8L can be used with your acorn nuts for holding in the cabinets. 1/8 X 1/2L will work for your curtain rod holders. The odd ball rivets are your jalose window rivets you will need to get them from Scamp. They are 9/64 X 9/16L you will need to go to the hwd. store and buy some stainless flat washers for backers. I counter sink the rivet holes very slightly and use butyl under the cap base and seal the center of the rivet with a dab of sealant under the cap.
Eddie

Thank you everyone for helping me.

I only need 3/16 x 5/8L rivets for the cabinets.
Curtain rods and windows won't need to be change.
I did not find 3/16 x 5/8L in the scamp site.
Any thoughts??

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-538536537.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	55357
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Ace hardware is where I buy all of my rivets.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I get my 3/16 x 5/8 at my local True Value.
Eddie
Surebonder 50-Pack Extra Long Aluminum Rivets
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Hey neighbor how is your project coming along? Did you decide if your fridge, etc is fixable. I still have the one from my Scamp if need be. Let me know. I haven't unhooked it yet. I will this weekend so if you want to see how it works let me know soon.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Hey neighbor how is your project coming along? Did you decide if your fridge, etc is fixable. I still have the one from my Scamp if need be. Let me know. I haven't unhooked it yet. I will this weekend so if you want to see how it works let me know soon.

Hi Steve. I've been busy at work. Didn't touch the scamp all week . Save the fridge for me. I'm sure between mine and yours, I could come out with one that would work. I have to run.

Thank you....