Scamp 13 axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp 13 axle

We have a 13' Scamp, Standard 2014 model, no bathroom. Can anyone suggest what axle I have?
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There should be a metal tag on it with manufacturer and capacity.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Or you could just call Scamp with the VIN.
May we ask why you are asking with an almost new trailer?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Where do I look for the metal tag?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

I sent an email message to “service@scamptrailers.com” on July 19, requesting axle data. I have not received a response.

In reading the Fiberglass RV and Scampers (Yahoo) posted messages, I have noticed that tire, axle and related problems occur frequently. Therefore:
1) Having data about the axle will speed the process of ordering replacement parts, especially in an emergency.
2) I'd like to order wear and frequent failure parts to have on hand for routine or emergency maintenance
3) I'd like to learn to service the axle and related parts in a stress-less environment. When a failure occurs, I'll have the knowledge and tools on hand.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
I sent an email message to “service@scamptrailers.com” on July 19, requesting axle data. I have not received a response.

In reading the Fiberglass RV and Scampers (Yahoo) posted messages, I have noticed that tire, axle and related problems occur frequently. Therefore:
1) Having data about the axle will speed the process of ordering replacement parts, especially in an emergency.
2) I'd like to order wear and frequent failure parts to have on hand for routine or emergency maintenance
3) I'd like to learn to service the axle and related parts in a stress-less environment. When a failure occurs, I'll have the knowledge and tools on hand.
Your best to call Scamps 1-800 number as they are not known to be fast in responding to emails. Surprised though that you do not have any documentation with such a new trailer that tells you the details re the axle and wheel bearings etc.

While axle issues with newer trailers can and do happen they do not happen often. You should get at a good 15-20 years out of the one on your trailer without needing to know the replacement part number for it. According to their webpage Scamp is currently using a 2200lb axle on the 13' - but it does not give the brand.

As far as the other issue go - a yearly check and repacking of the bearings and replace every few years is what you need to learn to do. That is also a good way to practise and learn who to jack up your trailer correctly for a tire change as well. Its also a good way to learn what the actual bearing and seal numbers are on your trailer (but your owners manual should tell you that as well) and buy a spare set to carry with you in the event of a failure in the future when on the road.... if they fail in an area where there are few shops you may be waiting for del'v of the correct ones in a location you did not plan to stay in .... has happened to more than a few folks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Today (07/24/2015) at 12:58pm, I received a message from Scamp with my axle serial number. I still need to find out what model number it is. I have emailed Dexter for that information.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #8

Scamp is also using "Lippert" axles now. Maybe on the 16's and up. My 2010 Scamp has a Dexter 2200 lb. axle.

For people that says "repack your bearings every year".... do you do this on your tow vehicles??
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Except for brakes and wheel bearing parts, I don't think that there is anything in the axle proper that is repairable.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Scamp is also using "Lippert" axles now. Maybe on the 16's and up. My 2010 Scamp has a Dexter 2200 lb. axle.

For people that says "repack your bearings every year".... do you do this on your tow vehicles??
When you have a wheel bearing issue on your vehicle there is a very high likelihood you are going to hear the tell tail signs of an issue before it completely fails - something you don't have the benefit of in regards to hearing the trailers bearings due to them being so far behind you. As a result if you need a wheel bearing on your vehicle replaced you will have some time to pick the location and place as you do have some time once you start to hear the noise, unlike when the one of the trailer gets to pick the location all by itself.

Not to mention every time you take your car in for its scheduled service you can be sure they will put the car up on in the air and take a close look at it for signs of a wheel bearing issue. Give your wheel a spin or two looking for resistance - could be wrong but I believe that is just one thing they do.

Here's the thing. I probable put more miles on my trailer a year than perhaps others do. I also worked for a bearing company for a time and later in a major industry that used a lot of bearings - so I have a pretty good idea as to how frequently bearing failures can and do happen. ;-) I have also had a fairly new bearing - less than 3000 miles completely fail on my trailer - at a not so great location and time. I have had another one made by a far more reputable bearing company than the first one - appear when checked at the start of the camping season to be well one its way out due to is discolouring and wear marks after only one year on the trailer. Yup I have also had many years when I have taken the bearings out to check and there is nothing wrong with them and with a simple cleaning and repacking is needed.

Sometimes taking the time to do a little bit of preventative maintenance is well worth the time to do if it means avoiding a headache at a time and place you don't want to have to spend the time having to deal with it.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

I put my Scamp up on a jack before it ever left the lot brand new and spun the wheels and checked it for looseness. I've done that regularly before EVERY trip because I keep it on jacks and can freely spin the wheels. NEVER have the felt notchy or do they bind. You said yourself Carol this is what they do to our vehicles. PLUS, we (most of us) will keep a vigilant check on our hubs as we travel watching for warning signs- HEAT...and mine is non-prevalant in nearly 10K miles and nearly 6 yrs. Sorry you had bearing failures on new trailers....sometimes it happens.

But I was raised nearly in a machine shop. I became a machinist making the very shafts and boring housing fits for bearings to press into or on to. Everything from miniature ABEC-7's to old Browning Pillowblocks. I know bearings pretty well myself.

To each his own. I'm content with my vigilance.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:

I have often wondered the same thing.
If everything on the trailers were as reliable and trouble free as wheel bearings life would be great.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
PLUS, we (most of us) will keep a vigilant check on our hubs as we travel watching for warning signs- HEAT...and mine is non-prevalant in nearly 10K miles and nearly 6 yrs. Sorry you had bearing failures on new trailers....sometimes it happens.

As you say Darrel each to his own.

As I said originally a good deal as to what is or is not needed in regards to routine checks, comes down to how many miles you tow. It does not take me 6 years to log 10,000 miles on the trailer, thats a number I can and do exceed most years.

I think you will find that most RV shops will suggest that its a good idea to pull the bearings and check them once a year or every 10,000 miles which ever comes first.

My bearing failures (or near failures) BTW where not on a new trailer and I assure you the bearing issues have nothing to do with the trailer. The trailer has had in the time I have owned it at least one set of bearings that logged well over 35,000 miles without a problem and current bearings on the trailer have about 20,000 miles (maybe a bit more) on them and also have no issues. I know that as they were pulled a month or so ago and checked In between those two sets of bearings is when I had a problem with what I would call premature wear on two sets of bearings that were pulled after I noted a heat issue with them. One set was on its first trip out and only about 200 miles on them when the issue was first noted. Pulling them to look at them confirmed they did indeed have issues that could have lead to an on the road failure sooner rather than later.

The simple fact is some bearings are not as well manufactured as we might like to think or errors can and do happen during the manufacturing process - yup even those made by some of the better known manufactures.

I BTW would not assume that "most of us" are as vigilant as yourself in checking their hubs for heat either or at least that have been my personal observation while traveling with a number of different trailer owners (even some here) on some fairly long trips over the years.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

Name: BKay
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Trailer bearings

I have a digital point and measure thermometer that I check my hubs with each time I stop. Takes 30 seconds. They have never been excessively hot. Maybe in the 115° to 125° range.
bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
There's a whole lot of difference in bearings in your tug than that of your trailer. The tugs bearings are carrying people. Consideration for safety, factories used bearings that are over rated for the load. Most of the bearings are sealed for life these days. The tugs bearings are larger diameter and with larger diameter tires the bearings are turning slower inducing less wear. The tugs bearings are not sitting around for months at end collecting moisture. Moisture in the bearings causes early bearing failures. The smaller the bearings and trailer tire diameter and the longer the trailer sits unused, the more frequently you should service the trailer bearings. I feel that the yearly bearing service comes from boat trailers and that they use smaller type tires and they dunk warm bearings into the water. Its a hard life for those bearings.
Far easier to service a set of bearings at home before a trip than on the road in the middle of nowhere.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp