Scamp 13 door entrance trim? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Scamp 13 door entrance trim?

When I bought my 1978 Scamp 13 the trim at the entrance was loose, and kind of flopped around!

Today I removed the two metal pieces of trim to make whatever repair that is needed.

I learned two things: One on the two pieces of aluminum extrusion was attached to the Scamp's 1/2-inch plywood floor with three !/8 th rivets!

Then the second piece of aluminum extrusion was attached to the first trim piece with three flat head bolts.

My questions is whether these two aluminum extrusions were originally installed by Scamp Co. ( Rivets into wood?)

Here are two very poor quality photos:

Showing the entry way with the trim laying on the driveway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp door step 1.jpg Views: 25 Size: 223.0 KB ID: 93706" style="margin: 2px" />

Two trim pieces on work bench. The wood floor would be inserted from the right side of the trim. The three flat headed bolts did not pass thru the wood floor!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp door step parts.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	93707

Is this type of doorway trim the correct trim for a Scamp 13 trailer?

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Hi Bill,
The channel trim is the original scamp piece. The angle trim is something someone has added. Looking at your pic your main problem is the floor doesn't come to the door opening. The floor has probably been replaced. The channel trim should slide all the way on to the floor and the angle on the cannel is suppose to match up with the door opening. The trim needs to be installed on the floor before the floor is put down. I think originally the trim had counter sunk screws.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20160327_21_36_49_Pro (2).jpg   WP_20160327_21_38_45_Pro (2).jpg  

BOBco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Bob, thank you very much for the comments, and the great photos! The parts and how they were installed all makes sense now.

This morning after reading you message, I took a fresh look at the Scamp's entrance. I believe you are right, a previous owner had replaced the floor...and didn't do too great a job cutting the plywood to fit!

It will be interesting trying to fill the open gap in the floor, and mount the channel trim in place! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again Bob!

Bill
Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can't tell from your picture Bill if the whole floor was replaced, but that one piece we can see was definitely a replacement. Why not just replace that piece with the correct size and shape rather than trying to jerry-rig something that kinda works?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't tell from your picture Bill if the whole floor was replaced, but that one piece we can see was definitely a replacement. Why not just replace that piece with the correct size and shape rather than trying to jerry-rig something that kinda works?
Donna D., that would seem to be the best and correct way to correct the problem.

So, after reading you message, I revisited the Scamp to see how difficult it would be to replace that short section of plywood. The plywood piece shown closest to the doorway is only 10-inches in depth, and appears to be held in place with screws.

(Rest of message was deleted because the information posted was totally incorrect!)

What I had thought was a 2 x 4 was actually the frame!

i really need a keeper!

Donna, I'm going to give your suggestion some more thought before I do anything. My experience in removing floor screws is not the best! however, if I'm going to replace the plywood, I guess it doesn't matter what damage is done to the plywood.

Bill
Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Hi Bill,
The best thing to do would be to replace the whole lower floor. But if you want to patch it I would cut the floor back to the center of the 1 1/2" X 3" square tubing frame rail.
The best tool to use for that kind of cut is an oscillating multi tool. I bought one from Harbor Freight, under $20.00. Sounds like its going to blow up any minute but I've gotten hours of use out of it so far.
Once the piece is out measure and cut a new floor piece. You could even cut an angle on the door opening end so it fits right up to the body. Slide the door trim on ,caulk and drop in place. Screw to the frame rail , the angle iron that's closer to the door opening and the sides. Also screw the original floor down to the frame rail. I used self drilling screws. I also put a screw through the outside of the fiberglass into the edge of the floor.
Bob
BOBco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Bob. thanks very much for your reply, and information.

I've wanted a oscillating tool for some time, and this would be a good time...and reason to buy one!

Thanks again for the detailed data on how to go about replacing the short piece of flooring. There is little doubt but that's what I'll do.

Bill

Tags
scamp