Scamp 13' door hinges - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Here's the photo of the new hinge next to the old polished hinged installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpv3YfYaPM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	23794

Here's another side view picture comparing the size difference from the new hinge to the old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	php0n5PM5PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	23795

Thanks,
David

Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Here's the photo of the new hinge next to the old polished hinged installed.

Attachment 23794

Here's another side view picture comparing the size difference from the new hinge to the old.

Attachment 23795

Thanks,
David
Any chance that Scamp changed the corresponding part (on the door, I guess) to match?

Parker

Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm still mystified, too! (Thanks for the photo though.)

I would love to see a photo of both halves held up to the door and body as though they were in use. I see that the piece shown is taller; but on the other hand, the door and the body are still on the same plane on the new Scamps, so

Raya
Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm still mystified, too! (Thanks for the photo though.)

I would love to see a photo of both halves held up to the door and body as though they were in use. I see that the piece shown is taller; but on the other hand, the door and the body are still on the same plane on the new Scamps, so

Raya
I will post picture's of complete hinge. Good point Raya, but the door side hinge dimensions match the existing hinge and the pivot hinge is longer making the door stick out. Possibility, Scamp sent the wrong pivot hinge, I'm not sure what type of hinges go on the 16' and fifth wheel Scamp.

DavidS
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #19

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks David, I would love to see a photo of the set, and this could be useful information for people who need new hinges.

Since it looks like the current Scamps' doors also sit flush with the shell (as do the Bolers and Scamps that I know), I can't see how they could have hinges that make the door sit "out" from the shell. Have you checked with Scamp parts department on this?

Also, I think we already asked you this, but did you have the two #1 halves mated together (they go at the bottom of the door) and then the two #2 halves mated together (they go at the top of the door).

Again, thanks for sticking this out so that we can learn something (even though you went back to your old hinges).

Raya
Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks David, I would love to see a photo of the set, and this could be useful information for people who need new hinges.

Since it looks like the current Scamps' doors also sit flush with the shell (as do the Bolers and Scamps that I know), I can't see how they could have hinges that make the door sit "out" from the shell. Have you checked with Scamp parts department on this?

Also, I think we already asked you this, but did you have the two #1 halves mated together (they go at the bottom of the door) and then the two #2 halves mated together (they go at the top of the door).

Again, thanks for sticking this out so that we can learn something (even though you went back to your old hinges).

Raya
I spoke with Scamp today concerning the hinge issue, I should have called sooner. Scamp said they did change the dimension of the hinge. The Scamp parts guy suggested removing the old hinges and drilling new holes to accommodate dimension change. I guess this would be a alternative if you want to patch old holes for new hinges, which I choose not to do. The problem is I still can't see where you would be able to re-position the new hinge to make up the difference. Scamp also suggested keeping the hinge attached to the door and moving the position of the pivot side but that would make the door reveal very odd looking. I hope this helps other's with installing new hinges.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #21

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Revisiting this question...

I realize this is an old thread, but I think I'm going to be dealing with the same issue. I ordered door hinges from Scamp, which I am planning to put on my 1972 Boler that I just bought. I have no idea where to put the hinges as there are several sets of old holes in both the door and the body from previous repairs. The trailer currently has wide gate hinges(!) on it which, of course, bind on the door as it's opened and I'm sure do nothing to help maintain any curve to the door! Does anyone have measurements for where they should be placed?

Tags
scamp