Scamp 13' Door Latch-Lock? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 621
Registry
Scamp 13' Door Latch-Lock?

Below are some photos showing the inside and outside views of the entry door latch/lock on my 1978 Scamp 13'.

Can anyone tell me whether or not this is the type of door latch/lock that was installed by Scamp in 1978?

The lock in engaged by poking a cotter-key into a hole in the latch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABScamp door latch outside.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	85237

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABScamp door latch.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	85238

I do plan on refinishing the inside part of the latch/lock...someday soon.

Just curious.....

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,434
Yes, that's the same lockset Scamp has been putting on trailers for years. Bet you'll find the same/similar on 2015 models! I know mine looks like that and it's a 1988.

BTW, that exterior handle looks like one from a garage door. How do I know? Because I replaced the one on my Scamp to one exactly like it . You need to cut the extra piece of the square shaft off the interior to fit the interior lockset flush. Just score the shaft, or use a sharpy marker, take the handle off the door and use a hack saw. Easy peasy.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,053
Registry
The latch looks original, but the lock and handle are aftermarket,the kind used on pick-up toppers and as Donna says garage doors. Notice how it sticks inside way too far.
You could cut off the excess and use the handle or you could get a new lockset from Scamp. it costs $16 and looks like this...

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Posts: 25
Registry
I can tell you the strike latch plate on the main body needs to be custom made. The replacement does not fit the older models (mine is a 77). I currently use a bungy cord to hold it shut.
__________________
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 621
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, that's the same lockset Scamp has been putting on trailers for years. Bet you'll find the same/similar on 2015 models! I know mine looks like that and it's a 1988.

BTW, that exterior handle looks like one from a garage door. How do I know? Because I replaced the one on my Scamp to one exactly like it . You need to cut the extra piece of the square shaft off the interior to fit the interior lockset flush. Just score the shaft, or use a sharpy marker, take the handle off the door and use a hack saw. Easy peasy.
Thanks Donna D. That's interesting indeed! Not many manufactures use the same hardware for such a long period! However, that is good in many ways.

A previous owner must have also replaced the exterior handle at some time based upon the length of the square rod. Or did they come that way from Scamp? When I remove the lockset I'll cut the rod to size.

I have another question! Surprise! Surprise!

My Scamp's outdoor (porch) light is a tiny thing, It looks like a auto map light.

Do you think the small light installed by Scamp in 1978?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABScamp outside light.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	85270

The light is controlled by a small toggle switch on the closet wall by the door.

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 621
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The latch looks original, but the lock and handle are aftermarket,the kind used on pick-up toppers and as Donna says garage doors. Notice how it sticks inside way too far.
Thanks Floyd! I should have know what that was! Too many times I've skinned my head, on the long rod, on pickup camper toppers doors, when the door was open!

I'll just cut the rod to size. I'm too cheap to buy anything new if I can avoid it!

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 621
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post
I can tell you the strike latch plate on the main body needs to be custom made. The replacement does not fit the older models (mine is a 77). I currently use a bungy cord to hold it shut.
Heather, surely there is someone here on this forum that knows enough about these locks to tell you how to make it work! There are some very smart and helpful folks here!

Have you contacted Scamp?

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,053
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks Donna D. That's interesting indeed! Not many manufactures use the same hardware for such a long period! However, that is good in many ways.

A previous owner must have also replaced the exterior handle at some time based upon the length of the square rod. Or did they come that way from Scamp? When I remove the lockset I'll cut the rod to size.

I have another question! Surprise! Surprise!

My Scamp's outdoor (porch) light is a tiny thing, It looks like a auto map light.

Do you think the small light installed by Scamp in 1978?

Attachment 85270

The light is controlled by a small toggle switch on the closet wall by the door.

Bill
That light is an aftermarket license plate light.
It is very unlikely that Scamp installed it.
My guess is that a former owner put it there.
Good news is that any RV place will have porch lights with or without a switch. You could replace it with a porch light without a switch and still use your existing inside switch with it.
The new light is large enough to cover any holes left when removing the old light.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 621
Registry
Thanks Floyd, I'm in process of making a new wiring harness for the trailer, and will run replacement wires for a new porch light.

While I'm running wires, I've decided I might as well run 120 volt wiring to the closet area...just in case some future owner might wish to install an A/C there someday.

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Posts: 25
Registry
I bought the latch from Scamp, and it is huge compared to what was there. The new was far from fitting. A buddy of mine altered it to get it too fit, still no luck. My bud works for a "metal design" company and said he could fabricate something easily for little cost, I just got to get my camper down there for the day....
__________________
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
sarahspins's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Posts: 159
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I'll just cut the rod to size. I'm too cheap to buy anything new if I can avoid it!
In your position that would probably be my first plan of attack as well. I did replace my similar style scamp lock with a FIC slam latch w/ deadbolt (which required some modification of the door and the fabrication of a strike plate) but that was because the tumblers in my original lock no longer functioned... you could lock/unlock my camper with anything (screwdriver, any random key, a small stick, etc) and I wanted it to be a bit more secure

My original lock was also rusted completely together - I had to cut the square shaft to remove the lock... so once I did that I just opted to "upgrade" my security. In the end it was cheaper as well, to replace with the FIC latch rather than buy both "sides" of the lock from Scamp.
__________________
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,572
Registry
Just for information, things I learned when my lock also failed in the same way the day before we left on a major trip... (1) Garage door square shaft locks are available in both T-handle and L-handle styles from any hardware store. You will have to cut off the shaft. (2) Scamp-style handles were in stock at a small, local RV shop. Again, you have to cut off the shaft (they did it for me at no charge). (3) Keep an eye on the parts-for-sale section of the forum. I picked up a complete set of Scamp door hardware (inside and outside components) for the cost of shipping when someone upgraded to a modern FIC lock. So I now have a spare.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,053
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post
I bought the latch from Scamp, and it is huge compared to what was there. The new was far from fitting. A buddy of mine altered it to get it too fit, still no luck. My bud works for a "metal design" company and said he could fabricate something easily for little cost, I just got to get my camper down there for the day....
try this...
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 114.jpg  

__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scamp door latch/lock problem corys Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 05-19-2014 04:07 PM
Bargman L-66 Door lock/latch idiotsniff Classified Archives 0 09-17-2011 02:52 AM
Trillium 4500: Need replacement door lock/latch Laurie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 06-29-2011 08:19 PM
Door Latch - Lock Seized Kurt in BC Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 09-08-2008 08:16 PM
Find replacement Scamp door latch/lock Faith Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 11-02-2006 06:45 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.