Scamp 13' Door Latch-Lock? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Scamp 13' Door Latch-Lock?

Below are some photos showing the inside and outside views of the entry door latch/lock on my 1978 Scamp 13'.

Can anyone tell me whether or not this is the type of door latch/lock that was installed by Scamp in 1978?

The lock in engaged by poking a cotter-key into a hole in the latch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABScamp door latch outside.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	85237

Name:	ABScamp door latch.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	85238

I do plan on refinishing the inside part of the latch/lock...someday soon.

Just curious.....

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes, that's the same lockset Scamp has been putting on trailers for years. Bet you'll find the same/similar on 2015 models! I know mine looks like that and it's a 1988.

BTW, that exterior handle looks like one from a garage door. How do I know? Because I replaced the one on my Scamp to one exactly like it . You need to cut the extra piece of the square shaft off the interior to fit the interior lockset flush. Just score the shaft, or use a sharpy marker, take the handle off the door and use a hack saw. Easy peasy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The latch looks original, but the lock and handle are aftermarket,the kind used on pick-up toppers and as Donna says garage doors. Notice how it sticks inside way too far.
You could cut off the excess and use the handle or you could get a new lockset from Scamp. it costs $16 and looks like this...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #4

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
I can tell you the strike latch plate on the main body needs to be custom made. The replacement does not fit the older models (mine is a 77). I currently use a bungy cord to hold it shut.
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, that's the same lockset Scamp has been putting on trailers for years. Bet you'll find the same/similar on 2015 models! I know mine looks like that and it's a 1988.

BTW, that exterior handle looks like one from a garage door. How do I know? Because I replaced the one on my Scamp to one exactly like it . You need to cut the extra piece of the square shaft off the interior to fit the interior lockset flush. Just score the shaft, or use a sharpy marker, take the handle off the door and use a hack saw. Easy peasy.
Thanks Donna D. That's interesting indeed! Not many manufactures use the same hardware for such a long period! However, that is good in many ways.

A previous owner must have also replaced the exterior handle at some time based upon the length of the square rod. Or did they come that way from Scamp? When I remove the lockset I'll cut the rod to size.

I have another question! Surprise! Surprise!

My Scamp's outdoor (porch) light is a tiny thing, It looks like a auto map light.

Do you think the small light installed by Scamp in 1978?

Name:	ABScamp outside light.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	85270

The light is controlled by a small toggle switch on the closet wall by the door.

Bill
Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The latch looks original, but the lock and handle are aftermarket,the kind used on pick-up toppers and as Donna says garage doors. Notice how it sticks inside way too far.
Thanks Floyd! I should have know what that was! Too many times I've skinned my head, on the long rod, on pickup camper toppers doors, when the door was open!

I'll just cut the rod to size. I'm too cheap to buy anything new if I can avoid it!

Bill
Old 06-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post
I can tell you the strike latch plate on the main body needs to be custom made. The replacement does not fit the older models (mine is a 77). I currently use a bungy cord to hold it shut.
Heather, surely there is someone here on this forum that knows enough about these locks to tell you how to make it work! There are some very smart and helpful folks here!

Have you contacted Scamp?

Bill
Old 06-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks Donna D. That's interesting indeed! Not many manufactures use the same hardware for such a long period! However, that is good in many ways.

A previous owner must have also replaced the exterior handle at some time based upon the length of the square rod. Or did they come that way from Scamp? When I remove the lockset I'll cut the rod to size.

I have another question! Surprise! Surprise!

My Scamp's outdoor (porch) light is a tiny thing, It looks like a auto map light.

Do you think the small light installed by Scamp in 1978?

Attachment 85270

The light is controlled by a small toggle switch on the closet wall by the door.

Bill
That light is an aftermarket license plate light.
It is very unlikely that Scamp installed it.
My guess is that a former owner put it there.
Good news is that any RV place will have porch lights with or without a switch. You could replace it with a porch light without a switch and still use your existing inside switch with it.
The new light is large enough to cover any holes left when removing the old light.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Floyd, I'm in process of making a new wiring harness for the trailer, and will run replacement wires for a new porch light.

While I'm running wires, I've decided I might as well run 120 volt wiring to the closet area...just in case some future owner might wish to install an A/C there someday.

Bill
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #10

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
I bought the latch from Scamp, and it is huge compared to what was there. The new was far from fitting. A buddy of mine altered it to get it too fit, still no luck. My bud works for a "metal design" company and said he could fabricate something easily for little cost, I just got to get my camper down there for the day....
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #11

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I'll just cut the rod to size. I'm too cheap to buy anything new if I can avoid it!
In your position that would probably be my first plan of attack as well. I did replace my similar style scamp lock with a FIC slam latch w/ deadbolt (which required some modification of the door and the fabrication of a strike plate) but that was because the tumblers in my original lock no longer functioned... you could lock/unlock my camper with anything (screwdriver, any random key, a small stick, etc) and I wanted it to be a bit more secure

My original lock was also rusted completely together - I had to cut the square shaft to remove the lock... so once I did that I just opted to "upgrade" my security. In the end it was cheaper as well, to replace with the FIC latch rather than buy both "sides" of the lock from Scamp.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just for information, things I learned when my lock also failed in the same way the day before we left on a major trip... (1) Garage door square shaft locks are available in both T-handle and L-handle styles from any hardware store. You will have to cut off the shaft. (2) Scamp-style handles were in stock at a small, local RV shop. Again, you have to cut off the shaft (they did it for me at no charge). (3) Keep an eye on the parts-for-sale section of the forum. I picked up a complete set of Scamp door hardware (inside and outside components) for the cost of shipping when someone upgraded to a modern FIC lock. So I now have a spare.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post
I bought the latch from Scamp, and it is huge compared to what was there. The new was far from fitting. A buddy of mine altered it to get it too fit, still no luck. My bud works for a "metal design" company and said he could fabricate something easily for little cost, I just got to get my camper down there for the day....
try this...
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg   June 2009 114.jpg  

Tags
scamp