Scamp 13 Front Dinette Storage Question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Scamp 13 Front Dinette Storage Question.

We have a new-to-us, 2001 Scamp 13 deluxe model with the larger bed. Storage is scant! (Especially compared to our old Boler with no fridge and smaller bed.) To the right of the stove is a cabinet which goes from ceiling to bench seat with one small door in the upper third, so there's a deep space below the single shelf. I'm thinking of adding an access door to the lower 2/3 and more shelves in the upper 1/3, but would like to know how others have used that space -- or just ideas on how to proceed.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Pictures would really help stimulate the creative juices.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

North Carolina
Creative juices are called for! Ideas welcome. Here's a picture. The cabinet is 26" wide at the bootom front, 9.5 - 10" at the deepest (the shelf pictured is max 9.5), and the height from base to the bottom of the cabinet opening is 18".

It's hollow above the door as well.
-- Anne
Attached Thumbnails
front cabinet.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I would ask my hubby to cut a bigger door hole and figure out what sort of door/s would work best! It looks much like the closet in our Trillium - and we put adjustable shelves in it. There was still space below the bottom shelf and we drop rubber boots etc in there. You may also be able to fit some sort of drawer or two in there.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Creative juices are called for! Ideas welcome. Here's a picture. The cabinet is 26" wide at the bootom front, 9.5 - 10" at the deepest (the shelf pictured is max 9.5), and the height from base to the bottom of the cabinet opening is 18".

It's hollow above the door as well.
-- Anne
We use that deep space for a collapsable dirty clothes hamper. You could put a shelf over it that could either hinge upward or a take-out shelf to access it in this manner.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Anne
The S-13 Dlx. Front Dinette in not a very common configuration but it is a very nice layout. That is more than likely the reason for slow input. The pictures really helped.
I think I would first build an upper cabinet to go across the front of the trailer above the dinette for added storage. I would also put a shelf in the upper part of your existing corner cabinet and try to fit a small door on the cabinet face for access.
Is this your only hang up area or is the closet buy the door a hang up area or shelves. You could keep this as your hang up cabinet with a dirty clothes bag in the bottom and put shelves in the cabinet buy the door.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't see them in the picture but if you have cupboard doors above the kitchen you might want to measure those to see if one will fit the bottom of the storage cabinet. You could then order one of those and have it match the rest of the trailer.

Another option is to add a second lift out shelf below the existing door. To support shelf glue rail to the side (left) and front where you have wood, and put a leg in the back right. You could probably Velcro that leg to the wall. Maybe two legs on the right side.

Since the lower shelf would rest on the rails and leg(s) you could still lift it out for storage under it. Place to put stuff you seldom use or want hidden when leaving the trailer for the day.

Or combine the two add a door to bottom and a shelf to upper area, just make sure the door or it's handle won't make the seat too uncomfortable to use or have you catching the door or handle every time you get in and out of that seat. Be nice if any lower door had a beveled back edge so it did not need a handle
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were my issue it would have 2 drawers installed below that have curved backs to follow the wall. A floor for the open door cabinet and a top for the open cabinet. Then I would cut open the curved top section making an open but legde'd cubby. that cubby would hold soft stuff like 2 beanie's and 2 pairs of gloves. the whole problem for that cabinet set-up is it isnt very deep.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like you have end cabinets at the roof line. My 13 standard has those fiberglass cabinets on the ends and they are a godsend on a 13 footer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
While your Scamp has a bit of a different configuration from most FGRVs I think you'll find a lot of ideas if you go to the "Search" button at the top and scroll down to the "Google Search". Enter the words "shelves storage" and a TON of previous postings will appear like this one http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-52496-2.html. Norm and Ginny, in particular, have some great ideas as they spend most of their time on the road and have refined storage to a science! Of course the first rule of organizing is to remember "if in doubt, throw it out". We only use 20% of our belongings 80% of the time!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

North Carolina
Thanks for the great ideas. The PO had added top storage in the rear, and adding it to the front would help a lot. We do have 2 drawers, but also have a heater so storage in the sink area is limited. The closet is narrow (wider bed), and we don't need hanging space, so I'll use one of the ideas elsewhere to convert that to shelves. In our Boler, we had added shelves and used them for clothes, keeping dishes, etc. in a cabinet where the fridge was. So where to put dishes, is one question. We often cook outside, but do some breakfasts and lunches indoors, so it's nice to have some of those things handy inside. I'll post more pictures later today. This has been very helpful. And Gilda, you're right about stuff! When we unloaded our Boler prior to sale, I was surprised by some of what I'd stashed away and never used. Thanks, all.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Regarding dishes...one set per person is all you need as one washes dishes by hand after each meal while camping. One dish, one bowl, one mug and one set of utensils and you're set! Our dishes are non-breakable and fit handily in the cabinet above the sink. A nesting set of camping pots will serve you well and take up little space.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

North Carolina
An Update

An update on the Scamp project: First of all thank you all so much for your ideas. We just completed a month-long trip to PEI and Nova Scotia, and the camper worked well. We followed some of the advice offered here and added ideas I found elsewhere on this forum. As is usual for us, we were making mods right up until leaving, so some of them I consider “proof of concept” using scrap materials, which I’ll replace with more finished mods. For these projects my power tools consisted of a saber (jig) saw, portable drill, screwdriver, and a sander. Low tech.

(1) The odd cabinet to the right of the stove: The idea to add a shelf supported by Velcro legs worked beautifully. It took a few pieces of cardboard to get the pattern right, but it works. Standard Velcro was not strong enough to hold the legs for the bounce test, so I used some heavier duty hook tape I bought at a marine supply store. It had a sticky back, but I also stapled it to the legs. A little more expensive, but you only have to buy the hook side if that’s all you want. The first shelf I made was 1/4 inch ply, but it wasn’t stiff enough, 1/2 inch worked fine.

I cut the lower access door using the saber saw. I then glued pieces of lath to the inside edges of the door and used the cutout as the door. I made one turn-button to hold the door and cut out a finger hole. I need to add another turn-button. It’s flat, doesn’t interfere with the cushion, and my “handiwork” is normally hidden behind the seat back. Future mod: Add Bluetooth speakers to the unused upper space. 8^>

(2) Storage in the skinny closet: I used narrow hanging shelves from the Container Store for clothes. We crimped the hangers so they wouldn’t bounce off, but could still be removed. The shelves (I think they’re 8”) are not as wide as the closet nor as deep, but are sturdy and still held plenty of rolled clothing. There was room left on the side of the closet for a short broom and dust pan. There’s also room to hang a few things on the side if we needed hanging space. Deeper shelves would be nice, or some other way to use the lost space behind the shelves for things not needed often. Future mod: add a Velcro strap to the front of the shelves for travel. A few things ended up on the bottom of the closet after travel, but it wasn’t a big problem.

(3) Unused floor space: With the wider bed, there is about 5” of floor space between the lower edge of the closet and the standard step up space. Following an idea from another thread, I added a storage cabinet for canned goods in this space. It’s simply 3 full trailer-width pieces of plywood connected to each other by angle braces and held in place by the closet. For the top, I cut 2 short pieces for the ends, and a longer one for the middle. The tops are held in place by a narrower piece screwed to the top (no router…) and for the middle, also by a magnetic cabinet catch. It’s nice that the weight is sitting pretty much over the axle, and it’s simple and easily removed. No attachments to the camper. Next mods: 1) cut saw kerfs for dividers so the inside can be sectioned off and 2) make it look better!

(4) Front overhead storage: I liked the idea of front storage as a place for hats and other small things that tend to clutter the space. I drilled out the curtain rod rivets and replaced those holders with home-made shelf brackets that I screwed in from the outside using stainless screws, washers, and butyl tape. I then made a 6” deep shelf out of 1/2 inch plywood and screwed a piece of lattice to the front to keep things from falling off. I mounted a blind from the shelf. Future mods: 8” deep shelf, better contours for the shelf brackets, holder for the bottom of the blind. Note: my departure checklist includes “clear front shelf”!)

(5) Storage in the water pump compartment: There’s a lot of space in the compartment under the bed to the left of the sink, but I was worried about things crashing into the pump. I used the same heavy duty Velcro tape attached to the bottom of the compartment and its counterpart tape to a cardboard box and also to a plastic bin. It kept the containers from moving without any problem. Interestingly, the hook tape attached to the removable piece stayed in place when I removed the containers. Hook tape didn’t remain stuck to the flakeboard. I didn’t use that space for anything heavy… extra travel snacks, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. but it was nice to have!

(6) Front lower storage: This is an idea for a future mod. My hubby and I often used the front table for breakfast and sometimes for dinner when the weather (or bugs) didn’t cooperate. I had a canvas bag with travel info, files, books, etc. that we stowed against the wall under the table. It wasn’t ever in our way, but it was crammed full and not easy to find things in. So… what would be nice is a shoe bag sort of filing/storage unit, perhaps attached to the table at the top, but kept flush to the walls with Velcro. An “office” organizer! (I did keep pens, tablets, chargers, etc. in a Container Store magazine holder mounted by magnets to the refrigerator door. Worked beautifully, but I wanted more organized space for the rest of the travel materials, etc.

Thank you all again!

-- Anne
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.jpg   photo 2 (1).jpg  

floor storage open.jpg   front shelf.jpg