Scamp 13' Hitch Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Howdy all... it looks as if we may have found a trailer! Woohoo! It's a 1994 Scamp 13'. It belongs to friends of my parents and is only 200 miles away (right next door for us Montanans!) I'm going over to look at it tomorrow afternoon... looks promising!

The question I have is this: does anyone know if it takes a 2" or 1 7/8 ball? Scamp's literature seems to suggest that they are all 2" now, but I take it that in the past the smaller size was used on the 13 footers. When did Scamp switch?

Thanks!
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
The question I have is this: does anyone know if it takes a 2" or 1 7/8 ball? Scamp's literature seems to suggest that they are all 2" now, but I take it that in the past the smaller size was used on the 13 footers. When did Scamp switch?

Thanks!
My 1990 13' is an 1"7/8.
Hope it works out for you. I just bought my 1990 2 days ago, it is in very good shape. I also have an 86 that I am restoring. It used to belong to the Navy and they did not take very good care of it. All of the parts that I have been needed have been available from Scamp and their prces are reasonable. You probably live it the boonies as I do, so if you need parts Scamp will ship then to you.

Good luck,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the info... I saw in another post that 91's also had 1 7/8 hitches.

I wonder what the Navy was doing with a Scamp? I hear you on the condition of it... I saw a "vintage" Airstream for sale here recently... $2000 OBO. It looked pretty good on the outside. BUT...on the door were stenciled the letters U.S.G.S. The interior looked as if someone had been using it to transport dirt and rocks and maybe a sheep or two for the last 25 years.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Matthew if in doubt about the needed ball size...take both and return the one to the store that you don't use!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I wonder what the Navy was doing with a Scamp?
The Navy has a unit called "Special Services" (or at least that's what it was called when I was in. Ships were made of wood then, and airplanes were cloth, wire and wood.) Anyway, special services run all of the recreational kinds of things for sailors. They had an auto hobby shop where you could work on your cars, darkrooms for photography, sports equipment for loan, and you could rent campers for a weekend. After I got out in the late '70s, apparently they bought a number of Scamps for several years and had them in their fleet of "rental" campers. I have no idea what they use today.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Roger is exactly right. The service is now called MWR for 'morale, welfare,and recreation'. Most large bases rent some type trailers. NAS Fort Worth used to rent 16' Casitas, but now rents 19' Aerolites. I was recently on Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio and they rent 13' Scamps. These trailers are heavily used and while they can be bought at auction cheaply; I'm sure most would need alot of repair.

Tom Trostel, retired US Army
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Matthew if in doubt about the needed ball size...take both and return the one to the store that you don't use!
Definitely a good idea, Donna... just trying to avoid a side trip if anyone knows for sure about the '94s. I've got a 2" on hand already. I think I know the answer though... take both!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 1995 Casita Liberty Deluxe / 2005 Isuzu Ascender
Quote:
Howdy all... it looks as if we may have found a trailer! Woohoo! It's a 1994 Scamp 13'. It belongs to friends of my parents and is only 200 miles away (right next door for us Montanans!) I'm going over to look at it tomorrow afternoon... looks promising!

Thanks!

My 2004 has 1 7/8 and 06 has 2". 05 size ???

If you take two sizes take big wrench in case you need to change it, just had this problem with another change over.

Hope this helps,

Dick
Dick I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:

If you take two sizes take big wrench in case you need to change it, just had this problem with another change over.

Hope this helps,

Dick
Thanks Dick... I'm headed out the door soon and will sort things out on the other end. My folks live 4 blocks away from the trailer in question and Dad's got wrenches galore (retired hardware store guy).
Old 11-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Hope this helps,

Dick
My 06 13' has a 1 7/8".
Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:

Thanks!
The manual for our '99 Scamp 16 lists a 1 7/8 ball for the 13' Scamp. Perhaps just as important... what wiring connector is used? While the "standard" connection for the Scamp 13' is a flat 4 pin connector an option is the 7-pin connector and trailer brakes. To make matters worse, Scamp changed the type of 7 pin connector some time in the mid-late 90's. When I went to pick up our 99 Scamp in the Washington DC metro area (about 500 miles away for us) I came prepared to rewire the trailer connector when I got there. By the way, be sure to bring along one of the 12V air pumps as tire pressure is pretty important. Also bring along a scissor jack as the trailer does not come with a jack.

I'm sure you will enjoy the little egg!
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
My 2005 13' Scamp has 1-7/8" Ball. Ron Mayo

Quote:

Hope this helps,

Dick
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #13

Registry
I asked for and received the latest brochures from Scamp. It appears that they's changed to 2". My guess is that pre-fire they were 1 7/8" and post fire 2".
Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Thanks for the info... I saw in another post that 91's also had 1 7/8 hitches.

I wonder what the Navy was doing with a Scamp? I hear you on the condition of it... I saw a "vintage" Airstream for sale here recently... $2000 OBO. It looked pretty good on the outside. BUT...on the door were stenciled the letters U.S.G.S. The interior looked as if someone had been using it to transport dirt and rocks and maybe a sheep or two for the last 25 years.
USGS is the U.S. Geological Survey www.usgs.gov That may explain all the dirt!

Don
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #15

Registry
NOT HITCH RELATED.

But I notice another thing about the post fire 13' Scamps. There's another 2" of interior head room. The interior height went from 6' 1" to 6' 3".
Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...But I notice another thing about the post fire 13' Scamps. There's another 2" of interior head room. The interior height went from 6' 1" to 6' 3".
Yes, I recall reading a report of that in one of the Scamp post-fire rebuild topics. They had to build all new moulds from existing trailer shells, and while the 16' is a straight copy, it was said that they took the opportunity to stretch the 13' model taller. It's nice to see that the people at Scamp are still trying to improve their product, even in ways which require much more effort than just switching coupler sizes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's what I would do if I were picking up a used trailer with unknowns -- I'd go to Wally and buy both sizes of hitch balls -- Based on what I had on my tow vehicle for trailer light wiring, I'd buy the adapters to change my TV to the three standard Scamp connectors (Flat4, Bargman/Pollock7 and the Round 6-pin), plus I'd also get one of those kits with a set of lights and a long wiring harness, intended for use on boat trailers.

I'd leave all the stuf in the orig packaging and save the receipts so that I could return the stuf that I didn't use.

BTW, anyone getting one of those new receiver ball mount bars made by Reese with the impression inside to hold the ball while tightening should also check to see if the hitch balls they have will fit without a washer (on a long ball shank, the threads may stop too soon because the ball base may drop down into the bar unless it is one of the new Reese ball mounts intended for the purpose.

BTW, altho the new 13' has the higher headroom, that also means that it is even less likely to fit into low garages -- My researches show that a Scamp 13' is maybe the lowest non-folding camping trailer available, except some of the actual teardrop trailers (not the T@B, however).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #18

Well all... thanks for the replies. It's indeed a 1 7/8" and everything looks good to go! We'll probably go back and pick it up in early December, just in time to use as housing for Christine and I when the whole family gathers near Flathead Lake for Christmas... should be a good test of the furnace! Thanks again for all the help... what a fine bunch of people on this forum!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Quote:

Thanks!
Matthew, you are right about 200 miles being only right next door here in Montana... What part are you from? There are not a whole of Fiberglasss Owners here in Montana... Hope all went well for you.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Matthew, you are right about 200 miles being only right next door here in Montana... What part are you from? There are not a whole of Fiberglasss Owners here in Montana... Hope all went well for you.
Hi Pat... We're in St Ignatius, whereabouts are you?

Tags
scamp