Scamp 13 Pros and cons of bathroom - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #57

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We had 16 front bath deluxe. We now have the same on order. That said. I don't get it maybe I am getting old. Why would you take walks in the cold wet night when its a few feet away. Why would you set up a out side solar shower and enclosure when its a few feet away inside. Why would you carry your stuff in a bag or a blue cart when you just connect a hose and pull a handle. If you need the space for storage you may need to clean house. Sometimes being on the KISS system is more work. This is all just my 2 cents. But again I don't get it. Hope I did not upset anyone.
Ken

Old 11-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #58

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Our choice was indeed influenced by Honda's 1500 lb tow & 200 lb tongue
weight limits for the CRV that we were driving when we first purchased
our Scamp 13 trailer. I figured that the front bathroom would likely push
us over one limit or both.

I agree that much depends on your planned or actual usage.
If you want/need to avoid using any external flush toilets and showers,
then an onboard bathroom might be the best way to go. If you just want
to avoid a nighttime campground stroll to take care of #1, it seems like
there could be much better options. (More on that later.)

The capabilities offered by our Scamp 13 Layout1 with the 54" bed
(and no front bathroom) include:

Inclement weather seating for up to 9 (3 on the sofa, and 3 on
either side of the 54" dinette cushions)

Sleeping space for 4 to 6 (1 child on top bunk, 2 kids head-to-toe on
the bottom bunk, and 2 adults +1 child head-to-toe on the 54" bed.)

I suspect that it might be hard to duplicate those capabilities on many
other 13 foot trailers (maybe even some larger trailers? ).

For avoiding a #1 midnight campground stroll, some options might be:
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Urinal-with-Female-Adapter/dp/B000M3DCHI/ref=pd_sim_sg_or_3
or
http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Female-Urination-Device-Case/dp/B004APOFTI/ref=sr_1_12
or
http://www.amazon.com/Urination-Lavender-Waterproof-towlettes-Baggies/dp/B00417RXQ2/ref=pd_sim_sg_or_9

For an outhouse/shower right outside the trailer, maybe this:
http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Portable-Changing-Privacy-Shelter/dp/B00EMMVXKI/ref=sr_1_130

In our previous StarCraft StarMaster 21 pop-up, you could remove
a small bench cushion and raise a plywood lid past a holding catch
and the porta-potti became immediately available (at appropriate
height) right where it sat under that bench.

With 3 individual cushions (instead of the current single cushion on
that front sofa bench, I'm hoping that a similar porta-potti
access mod could be constructed in the area of that existing
porta-potti cabinet ... and I think folks might have easier access
to the under-bench storage on either side of that cabinet.

I am pretty sure that, if it is not convenient (i.e. if you have to
drag it out of its cabinet in the middle of the night), a porta-potti
would not get used for nighttime relief.

For porta-potti privacy in the trailer, perhaps a lightweight curtain
on a removable cord/cable stretched between the cabinet over
the sink/stove and the 12" pantry cabinet would do? (Or maybe
attached to those cabinets on the door side or the dinette/bed side
via Velcro?)

For slightly longer duration stays, I have considered using the
nylon privacy panels for our CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Room/Tent
to create a pie-shaped privacy spot for the porta-potti.
Amazon.com : Clam Corporation 9281 6-Pack 1660 Mag Screen House, 140 by 140-Inch : Tools Products : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Amazon.com : Clam Corporation 9294 3-Pack Screen Hub Wind Panels/Canopies : Sun Shelters : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don't compare. - YouTube

I know that everybody's needs and wants are different.
Just some thoughts to consider ..... As always, YMMV.

Ray

Old 11-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #59

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Don't Get It?

It's mostly because the discussion revolved around a bathroom in a 13' FGRV which, basically, shortens the living space by about 25%, and that's a lot different than in a 16' FGRV. Hence the oft mentioned disease "three- footitis"

And just connecting a hose and pulling a handle to empty a holding tank is frowned upon in the Wal-Mart parking lots and most state and federal campgrounds that many of us frequent in our travels. Just as a WAG, I think that less than 1 in 10 places I stay even have a tank dumping facility, but I can always find a loo to empty my porta-potty.

BTW: My first wife and I will be marking the 50th anniversary of our marriage next month, so I think I can speak for almost any "Age" (not health BTW) issue, to which I say "Phooey".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
We had 16 front bath deluxe. We now have the same on order. That said. I don't get it maybe I am getting old. Why would you take walks in the cold wet night when its a few feet away. Why would you set up a out side solar shower and enclosure when its a few feet away inside. Why would you carry your stuff in a bag or a blue cart when you just connect a hose and pull a handle. If you need the space for storage you may need to clean house. Sometimes being on the KISS system is more work. This is all just my 2 cents. But again I don't get it. Hope I did not upset anyone.
Ken
Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #60

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Almost 9 years of 13' Scamp camping the past 4 or 5 over 100 nights each in a row, no bathroom. I would hate to lose the open feeling being able to look out in all 4 directions. No leaks or smells to put up with. No dumping mess to put up with. Prefer the direct deposit method, once deposited all done with it.

69 and 72 years old here, we don't worry about the middle of the night boggy man, weirwolfs, or vampires. See the stars on dark night is very nice. Moon light nights mean no night vision damaging flashlights are necessary.

At 3:00 am, I've watched Coyotes loping through the campground, bobcat sitting and watch us as we walked by. Some night you can watch the bats flying around. All very cool to see.

I suppose being afraid of the dark would be one reason to have an on-board potty.

Getting dressed in the middle of the night is not a big issue, sweat pants and a zip up sweat shirt staged on the couch, crocks staged close by makes getting dressed enough easy and quick.

As the OP should be able to guess, we have no regrets. Others see things differently.
But with the bathroom the OP would have the option of staying inside, (rain, wind, etc.) or exploring the vast outdoors in the middle of the night. As for me I really like "options".
Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #61

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Ken how could you offend? OP asked for opinions. Your observations seem valid to me.

Having had both I would be reluctant to give up the space in the 13 but bathroom was sometimes very convenient when I had a larger camper. It may be that the OP will decide that getting larger camper is worth it to have that convenience you mention.

So much depends on how and where you camp. My sister more often than not camps where they have sewer hook up at their site. Myself I'm more likely to pick someplace that any "dump station" will have to be dug by yours truly. Or involve a drive to some other location. Have done both in the past, lived through it so it must not have been all that bad.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #62

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Once we're dressed the curtains come open.
You wait until you're dressed to open the curtains? Where's the fun in that???

to the OP: I've never had a 13'er, but in general I've found that a comfy sitting place without having to unmake the bed is a highly desirable feature. Even more desirable than a shower, which I do value. (A porta potti makes a toilet unnecessary IMO).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #63

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm with mike. My 13 has the sofa where I can sit down if desired without making bed. I use porta potti for urgent night calls and camp showers and toilets for all the rest.

I would have preferred a 13 deluxe for the little front dinette, but I bought used and was blessed with what I found. To me the shower and bathroom in a 13 is a space grabber, but to each his own. I have a gray tank and dirty dishwater is all I want to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #64

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
But with the bathroom the OP would have the option of staying inside, (rain, wind, etc.) or exploring the vast outdoors in the middle of the night. As for me I really like "options".
Some people camp to enjoy the outdoors, some people camp to fuss with stuff. To each their own.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #65

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Some people camp to enjoy the outdoors, some people camp to fuss with stuff. To each their own.
Some people camp, some travel, so some need a camper and some need a travel trailer...To each his own.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #66

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I'm with mike. My 13 has the sofa where I can sit down if desired without making bed. I use porta potti for urgent night calls and camp showers and toilets for all the rest.

I would have preferred a 13 deluxe for the little front dinette, but I bought used and was blessed with what I found. To me the shower and bathroom in a 13 is a space grabber, but to each his own. I have a gray tank and dirty dishwater is all I want to deal with.

Let's see 54" out of 120" equals 45% of the interior already dedicated as a place to sit.
16% seems a fair concession for a complete and private shower, sink and toilet.
Add to that the utility of the extra closet space and the dinette/bed concession starts to look generous.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #67

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
.....but I can always find a loo to empty my porta-potty.
Anyplace you can dump your porta-potty, I can dump my black AND gray water. Try that with your porta-potty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BlueToteProject.pdf (164.3 KB, 20 views)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #68

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I like that I can sleep 3 adults in my scamp. My two adult children sleep on the dinette bed and I sleep on the lower bunk of the sofa. That's more important to me as an option than a bathroom and shower.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #69

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I like that I can sleep 3 adults in my scamp. My two adult children sleep on the dinette bed and I sleep on the lower bunk of the sofa. That's more important to me as an option than a bathroom and shower.

That is precisely why the bunks make objective sense and are the right choice for many Scamp owners...a place for people to sleep. Simple choice is another good reason.
Strawmen can sleep outside.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #70

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now my ParkLiner is only 15' long and I wouldn't trade that bathroom for anything lol...but like its been said...its all about what you need out of the trailer. I almost bought a Scamp 13 deluxe and I would have been doing the bed every morning....but its only me. Families have different needs.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, scamp, scamp 13