Scamp 13 water repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
Scamp 13 water repairs

I have purchased a 13' 2017 standard Scamp. The wife a I have taken it on several trips totally over 7000 miles since picking it up in May new from Scamp. During our last trip to the Grand Canyon we developed a water like in the front between the refrigerator bay and the closet on the other side of the bathroom. Looking under the trailer the water is pouring out through the hole in the floor that the trap for the shower is located. This is from the supply line all the time the water is turned on. I have called Scamp and they said to contacted a local RV repair site to see about repairs. Living in Blue Springs Missouri all of the repair sites that I have contacted have turned me down as they don't work on fiberglass trailers. Scamp told me that I could bring it to them. That would be 700 miles one way. Does anyone know a good repair shop in the middle of the country that could help me? Attached is a movie of the water pouring out and pictures of the water lines at both ends.
Attached Files
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
most of the plumbing pipes are pex piping. Why not try a good plumber? house piping is usually pex as well.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Showing where the water finally comes out is not too helpful. Can you find the source of the leak? If the water was leaking into the shower pan from the shower head supply, then it should be going down the drain. If the water is going under the shower pan and then coming out by the drain then the leak could be elsewhere, and also doing slow damage to your sub-floor.

There is nothing special about the camper being fiberglass and any decent RV shop should be able to handle this. If they would only look at it they might be fine with working on it. If the commode is the problem, its a standard marine model so any RV shop or Marine Service Center can do it.

Frankly, I would consider this to be a DIY repair except that it is under warranty, so why should you.

But there is a caveat. I am quite sure that your Scamp has Uponor ProPex piping. It is a PEX piping system that uses an expander tool to enlarge the plastic rings that go on the fittings. If the repair requires that tool, be advised that they are pretty rare. I called a few plumbers around here looking for one who uses the Uponor ProPex system and no one had the tool.

If you are lucky, the leak will be in a part that does not require repair to a ProPex fitting (such as the commode flush mechanism), or the repair can be made using standard PEX crimp rings which any plumber can handle, and most anyone else with a rented tool and a little homework.

But you have to find the leak first.

Note: This reply was edited due do a misunderstanding on my part.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
most of the plumbing pipes are pex piping. Why not try a good plumber? house piping is usually pex as well.
A good thought, but WHOEVER you get to work on it.. make sure Eveland's is on board. They have been known to balk at paying for repairs if the bill is more than they think it should be. They really do prefer to have you return the camper to them, which is understandable but not so easy, especially at this time of year. Maybe winterize as best you can, dry it out and plan your first spring trip for beautiful northern Minnesota
Old 11-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Under the assumption the 16 ft shower is built the same, the supply lines to the shower are under the shower pan at front of trailer, leaking at connection in closet 90 going to shower handles? leaking at connection just before the toilet (on 16ft was in back of small cubby) or did something pierce the line? without tearing entire shower apart if you cant snake new line to replace old not the best idea but run new line under trailer....I couldnt remove my old water line which i had assumed froze and burst, previous owner ran new line under trailer
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
on second thought have scamp fix or pay someone to fix properly, not even a year old!!!
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here the procedure I did when I bought my Scamp and needed some warranty work done. I called Kent Eveland he told me to take to an RV shop and have them call him. That's what I did, I told the RV shop they needed to deal with Kent on what was to be done and price. They did, Scamp paid, and I pulled my trailer away with the work done. I was working at the time the RV shop of my choice was between my home and the company I worked for. So I dropped off the trailer in the morning on my way to work, and came back at noon all fixed and paid for.
I hope it works out as well for you.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Waterleak

Had a similar leak in my Scamp 19. Loose connection on the back side of the shower fixture. Mine was not hard to get to after taking out a drawer.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
The Oliver factory is in Hohenwald, TN.
That should be closer than Rice, TX.
Vicki
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Missouri
Smile Water leak found and fixed by Scamp.

Since this was a warranty repair. Micah Eveland helped with the expense of getting the trailer to them to fix. Because any water that leaks unto the plywood floor will run to the low point to find a way to leak out. This is why the water was running out by the shower drain. The leak was a result of the city water connector had broken loose from the plastic ring that holds it. This allowed the brass fitting to spin and unscrew the other end of the fitting to the supply line inside under the sink. This allowed the water to leak down and run on top of the plywood to the hole for the shower drain. Scamp replaced the city water inlet and epoxied the plastic plated that is riveted to the outside to the brass fitting not allowing it to spin in the future. Because the water ran into the front closet by the door they also replaced the carpet in that closet. Any repair place in my home area could of done the repairs but I believe it was because of the warranty claim they did not what to deal with it. Scamp did a great job of finding and fixing to problem quickly. I dropped the trailer off at 2 pm and I was driving away the next day by noon. Stopping what they were working on and take care of me within about 4 hours. Now that it is back home and all repaired I can finish the winterize and put the cover on it and wait for spring for our next trip.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H in MO View Post
... Scamp replaced the city water inlet and epoxied the plastic plated that is riveted to the outside to the brass fitting not allowing it to spin in the future. ....
I'm not getting a visual in my head of this, so my comment might not apply.
But I hope the epoxy will not make it more difficult to replace the city water inlet / connection, because you will need to do that someday. In my case, the internal check valve in the city water inlet appears to have failed after only about two years. Rivets are pretty easy to replace. Epoxy is usually permanent.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

Missouri
City inlet replaced

Gordon,
They epoxied the outside flange and the brass pipe together before putting it in and riveting it to the trailer. Therefore it can be removed by just removing the rivets and unscrewing it. Hope that helps.

The man that replaced my city water inlet and epoxied it said this has happened a few times and is not common but this just snaps together should be epoxied from the factory.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #13

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Ideas

The post for this issue reminds me to always turn off the water at the spigot if away from the trailer for extended periods of time.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
The post for this issue reminds me to always turn off the water at the spigot if away from the trailer for extended periods of time.
Better yet, do what I do.. fill the fresh water tank and only use that. Only turn on the pump (if you have one) when you need it. That way when the tank empties, you know roughly how full your waste tanks are getting.

Also turn off the gas when away from the camper.

Simple things really.

Tags
scamp