Scamp 16 #6 vrs. Casita 16 spirit deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Scamp 16 #6 vrs. Casita 16 spirit deluxe

Advice please: I am looking at graduating to a '16 foot fiberglass model with a bathroom - which means I have been struggling with the thought of giving up my lovable '13 foot burro. Yep. I'm getting to that age where the nighttime walk to the bathroom is just irritating.

I like the layouts of both the Scamp layout 6 and Casita Spirit Deluxe with the side mini eating area/single bed and front bath. If you are familiar with the two products, could you chime in and give me your insight on quality comparisons.

My 4 four cylinder Honda Pilot two wheel drive with tow package should pull either of them.

I am looking at add ons: high lift axle, friction anti sway control, vinyl flooring, outside shower and the awning.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I read a few negative comments now and then about the quality control on newer Scamps, but I haven't seen similar comments about Casitas. Just my impression. As for interior, the Scamps seem more roomy to me; I think that their aisle is wider and cabinets more shallow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Plus the Parkliner....

Thanks Mike. The Scamp I looked at had inconvenient knobs on the cupboards. In the Casita I looked at, I didn't spot any problems - but as you said, the Scamp felt a bit roomier for some reason. Such a big decision!

I have heard about the Parkliner but haven't seen it. I love the fact that it is all fiberglass and double walled like my burro - the only wood in the new redesigned Parkliner is in the cupboard doors and table. None in the floor. That's a pretty awesome feature.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Have you considered an Escape 17. Living in Washington, Escape is much closer.
Scamp in Backus Mn is approx 1600 miles from Washington
Casita in Rice Texas is approx 2200 miles from Washington
The Escape may be more expensive up front but the time and cost to drive half way across the country to take delivery is a consideration
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Hum Steve. [emoji848] That is nice looking. Looks like more research is on the offing tomorrow. The distance is an issue of concern.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
I've owned my 16' casita spirit deluxe since new in 2012. Mine is pretty much equipped the way you indicated with the exception of the outdoor shower and awning. I've never felt the need for an additional shower outside and if hooked up to water at my campsite I use a splitter on the water spigot to provide outside water. I opted for no awning primarily because I didn't want to add more weight to the already heavy side of the trailer (that's the side with the kitchen). I use a small bag awning or a screen room if I'm camped at a site for a while.

The vinyl floor is a good choice. My first casita (13' patriot) was outfitted with carpet and it was a dirt magnet and retained odors from spills, etc. the high lift axle is a real good choice as far as I'm concerned. Casita includes a tire upgrade with this option (load range D, I think). This option, however, makes for a pretty high step to enter and exit and I've added a step because I didn't enjoy falling off those stupid folding step stools. Also, the rear stabilizers are petty useless with the lift as they don't even reach the ground. I suppose you could employ leggo blocks or wood as a remedy but I opted for scissors jacks. Much easier to use. These trailers are somewhat tongue light. As a result I found that I didn't want to tow with a full fresh water tank. That additional weight in the rear led to an increased tendency for sway. Again, I've dealt with that by adding weight to the tongue (an over the propane tank platform where my Honda generator lives permanently). The anti sway bar is a real good idea even with additional weight on the tongue.

I've absolutely no complaints with quality control by the factory. Well, one exception is the fridge. That Dometic unit seems to require a lot of tinkering with to perform only marginally effectively. I'm still looking for a solution.

I'm not sure your 4 cyl. tow vehicle will be adequate. I towed the little patriot for a while with a Subaru Forrester and while it did go down the road it was less than great with the hills. I'm now towing with a v6 Nissan Frontier and it's just about perfect with the 16'er.

I've never owned a Scamp so can't speak to any differences in quality between the two. They're both fine units, I'm sure.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I wondered about the 4 cylinder part. As far as I know, every Honda Pilot ever made has a 3.5L V6. Tow ratings vary from 2000 pounds to 5000 pounds, depending on year and trim, so it's something to check.

As to Casita vs. Scamp, there probably aren't that many people that have owned both (in similar age and condition) to make an apples-to-apples comparison. One member that has is Norm (moniker "Honda 03842"). My recollection is that overall he considered them pretty equal, quality-wise. You could send him a PM.

Lots of little differences may tip the balance one way or the other:
  • The Scamp feels roomier because it is taller inside (6'2" vs. 5'11") and the cabinets are shallower, making the aisle wider, but a bit more storage in the Casita.
  • Casita has a wood floor with a thin fiberglass skin underneath, while Scamp coats the exposed wood floor with fiberglass resin on the bottom. Most rot is caused by water from above, so I don't see an advantage either way other than appearance.
  • Scamp lines the interior with marine headliner over foil bubble wrap. Casita uses a foam-backed carpet.
  • Scamp comes with very thin curtains. Casita comes with mini blinds.
  • Scamp installs an RV-type roof AC; Casita installs a window unit through the front corner by the door. The back window of the Scamp opens; Casita's is fixed plexiglass. Scamp has the edge for cooling and ventilation.
  • Scamp does not offer a high-lift option, but it's possible they might install the one they offer on the 19' model.
  • Based on the data in the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread, it appears a Casita might be somewhat heavier than a comparably equipped Scamp. Data is limited, but the average on-the-road weight of a Scamp 16SD is 2675# while a Casita 16SD is 3040#. It's impossible to tell if they had the same options, if they were carrying water, etc.

I agree with Steve. It would be worth checking out Escape 17. I suspect it will still be a bit more expensive, even factoring in the cost of shipping or a trip to MN or TX, but it's a roomier trailer with minimal additional weight (average loaded weight 2974#). It has a larger 52" main bed, which addresses a limitation of both Scamp and Casita 16'ers- theirs are only 45" wide.

Decisions!!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Washington
Registry
Thanks Jon and Steve,
You have both added lots of information to the mix. Very valuable nuggets! Decision time I guess.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
Thanks Jon and Steve,
You have both added lots of information to the mix. Very valuable nuggets! Decision time I guess.
Why not buy Jon V's 17B?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not buy Jon V's 17B?
Hadn't heard it was for sale. It would be a well-cared for unit. Do you have a link? NY is a long way from WA.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #11

Have to look for the reference later. He has order in for a 21' and said in a recent post that he'll be selling his 17'.
I expect he'll be picking up in Chilliwack, so it only makes sense to sell the 17' in Washington.
Of to the doc. Later.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Sue and Greg, here's a link to Jon V.'s registry: Jon Vermilye's Trailer :: 2011 Escape 17B. If you might be interested you could send Jon V. a private message. This could be a rare opportunity to pick up a well cared for used Escape 17B, and if Glenn's right and you could arrange the hand-off in WA, even better.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #13

Here's the post Jon made on the Escape Forum.
Which Options Should I Choose for 17B Trailer? Help! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If I was the OP , I would do the research on my vehicle to determine its' towing capacity , tongue weight limit , payload capacity and whether the vehicle can be used with a WDH and anti sway before I chose what trailer to purchase . I have seen various towing limits for the OP's vehicle ranging from 2000 lbs to 4500 lbs
2000 lbs really limits the choice of trailer and 4500 lbs widens the choice greatly. Deciding on a trailer based on assuming your tow vehicle is adequate is a poor decision in my estimation .
I tow with a half ton pickup with a 10,250 lb towing capacity and assumed there would be no issues towing my 17 ft Casita , then
I ran into reality and discovered that there were issues "PAYLOAD
CAPACITY" .
If we knew the actual capacities of the OP's vehicle , then it would be easier to make intelligent recommendations for suitable trailers
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #15

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sue and Greg, here's a link to Jon V.'s registry: Jon Vermilye's Trailer :: 2011 Escape 17B. If you might be interested you could send Jon V. a private message. This could be a rare opportunity to pick up a well cared for used Escape 17B, and if Glenn's right and you could arrange the hand-off in WA, even better.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
casita, scamp