Scamp 16 Fresh water intake - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Fulltimer West of the Rockies
Scamp 16 Fresh water intake

I just purchased a 98 Scamp 16. The smell I thought was Wall Fur or old carpet was mildew. I pulled out the fresh water tank and the floor is soft. I'll let it dry out and I'm thinking of using Polyurthane glue and a sheet of Lexan that I have laying around to reinforce it. I'm looking at the corrugated hose coming in and I see it slips over the male tank fitting. There wasn't any clamp only caulk that obviously wasn't working.

I'm thinking of wrapping then together in electrical tape, then slipping a slightly larger hose over that and then a hose clamp

Since I'm using the Lexan I think I'll put 4 eye hooks at the bottom so I can strap the tank down. I think I read where there are 9 gallons which makes 72 pounds bouncing around.

So far I'm seeing this as a minor problem so no buyers remorse. Any and all comments welcome
Thanks Bob
bobflhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I've replace our corrugated hose twice (leaks), and finally replaced it with the clear hose that has a webbing built in it. This really seals well to both the tank and the filler. The tie down sounds like a much better idea than the 4 small screws into the wood through the loose metal strapping. I used 2x2's screwed into the wood to make a "box" around the tank so it wouldn't walk around during travel and secured it with mule tape.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Bob
If you floor has any fiber glass or just resin on it now it's probably Epoxy> Polyester resin will not stick to epoxy. Epoxy will stick to ether polyester or epoxy. You could call scamp and find out what they used.
Good luck!
Jason
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome, Bob! My 1995 13' Scamp has the same issue, soft floor under water tank, hasn't rotted through or anything, but I want to stop it before it does. I don't understand the part about the electrical tape and larger hose, if it was just going over the male fitting I'd just clamp it, or at most use a food-grade silicone and a clamp.

The lexan and PU glue would make it easier to clean the bottom of the compartment, but if water gets in another way it will hold the moisture in the OSB. A couple spacers might allow air circulation.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp