Scamp 16: Front and Rear Window alternatives? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp 16: Front and Rear Window alternatives?

I have a '91 Scamp 16. I have repaired most of the dryrotted OSB, and am now looking for alternatives to the leaky front and rear fixed, non-opening windows that caused some of the problem in the first place. Scamp offers a rear window that opens, but I am wondering what alternatives some of you have found.

While examining the front window, I found that it flexes quite easily, which makes sealing it even more difficult.

How about Lexan? Awning type windows?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #2

The front window on the Scamp and Casita 13 & 16 are hard to deal with (altho I haven't heard of either leaking before) because they are a compound curve. You could just cut a hole thru the existing plexiglass and install a flat window with a bunch of shims, but it had better fit under the gravel shield or you will have problems (and you will still have the orig window and its seal). You might try going to an auto-glass place and have them remove the existing window, dress up the fiberglass and re-install it; I beleive it should fit without sealant, just like auto windshields used to before they started glueing them in. The front window on my 91S13 has never leaked, altho I did have to insulate it outside (glued foam to gravel cover) to prevent condensation in cold weather.

The rear window is another story, as its mounting surface is flat. The Hehr sliding windows used by Scamp, Casita and a large portion of the entire RV industry are prone to leakage if you don't keep the weep or drain channels clear of road dust that muds up and blocks them.

You can order all sorts of windows from Scamp and others, but they become expensive because of the crating charge for shipping.

Since you are in the Tampa Bay area, you might try Tom's RV Salvage in Brandon (not far from the intersection of the Interstate and Brandon's main drag); they not only have used and dealer closeout stuf of all sorts, but they will give you a good price on ordering stuf from their array of supplier's catalogs.

Pete and Rats

PS I prefer the awning windows to sliders as you can keep them open in the rain and they expose almost 100% of the opening to air as opposed to less than 50% for the sliders, and they don't have channels to clog. Also, condensation clears from them much faster when they are opened as compared to the sliders.

Old 03-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #3

Windows

I am rebuilding a 14 Surfside and I am removing the side and rear opening "louvered" type windows. I am going with tinted plexiglass on the side windows and will mount them just like on a Bayliner boat.
I am going to get a boat window made for the front and back windows... they wont leak.

Tony

Tags
scamp