Scamp 16 Greywater Project - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Just picked up a 2000 Scamp 16 that had some hard use and is a bit of a project. It has the side closet, but no toilet. Dual freshwater tanks, but no greywater storage - only the direct drain from the sink to the exterior male threaded hose fitting.

What would it take to install a greywater tank below the dinette? I believe their standard tank is 26 gallons. Could someone tell me the approximate dimensions and how the tanks are typically supported? Right now the OSB floor is supported by the two frame box tubes left and right, with a tranverse angle right about midway across the raised dinette floor. That leaves two flat bays under the trailer about 45" left/right x 21" front/back. Does the tank tuck up in there, and what does it hang from? Do I presume correctly you'd want the grey tank forward, to keep weight closer to the axle?

Finally, if I install a grey tank I presume I'll need a p-trap at the sink and a vent. How do the vents typically run? Through the roof (where would it be routed?).

Thanks much,

Chris Krumm

Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Since you live at least in the same state as the Scamp factory, why not pay them a visit and discuss it with them. You might even want to have them install it for you. At a minimum I suggest you call Scamp and talk to them. They're nice people and don't bite.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
could you reroute the plumbing to one of the fresh water tanks and make it a gray water tank?

I am not sure why you would need TWO fresh tanks.. especially if there is nowhere to put the waste.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

Name: Dan
Minnesota
I had my grey water tank out a number of years ago to repair an outlet fitting that leaked. The repair has been documented on my web site http://scamp.n0kfb.org/ - click on modifications and repairs, and scroll about 1/3 of the way down.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #5

Dan -

Thanks for the link to your project site. The pics are great. Could I ask if the tank vent just ended inside the dinette, or does it exit the side of the trailer to the outdoors?

Gina -
The extra freshwater tank is the same size and at the same level as the the standard unit, so you'd have to pump grewwater into it.

The trailer has dual propane tanks, dual freshwater tanks, and no graywater or toilet facilities, but it has the large fridge. I think the owner was an avid backwood fisherman. There are a number of loose and missing rivets, too, and it is pretty "used" for a 2000. I'm betting he boondocked and took it on a lot of rough backroads in northern Minnesota...

Chris Krumm
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #6

Name: Dan
Minnesota
Quote:
Dan -

Thanks for the link to your project site. The pics are great. Could I ask if the tank vent just ended inside the dinette, or does it exit the side of the trailer to the outdoors?

>snip<
Hi Chris

The vent line goes into the camper and right back outside in a "U" shape.

Could you send me an e-mail off-list? n0kfb@n0kfb.org (Yes, I know about the SPAM risk...)

-- Dan Meyer

Tags
scamp