Scamp 19 5th ? - Rear Bumper Cargo Carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Scamp 19 5th ? - Rear Bumper Cargo Carrier

I have a Scamp 5th Wheel I just purchased and was planning on using a cargo carrier for additional storage. I have read a few posting that warn of the handling issues but haven't seen much about it with a 5th wheel.

So could a few of with 5th's that have used one give me your opinion, advise and or endorsement before I weld on the hitch and go to the local harbor fright.

Much Appreciated!

Arthur
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Arthur,

The reason you don't see a lot of 5th wheel advice on this FGRV forum is because we specialize in fiberglass trailers. You may have realized that already, sounds a bit like you have.

There are some 5th wheel folks out there and on here who may well pop in with advice for you. I hope they do.

My advice: with trailers, the tongue weight should be about 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If you have a 2000 pound trailer, the tongue weight should be between 200 and 300 pounds. Slightly heavier over the 10% is slightly better and under 10% is definitely a no-no, you can get fishtailing and can wreck your rig.

Putting a rear cargo hauler device on the back of a fiberglass trailer will definitely impact the balance point and tongue weight, so you should proceed with caution.

I'm sure the situation varies for 5th wheels.

Try a 5th wheel site or wait for 5th-wheelers here to answer...obviously, not as many of them. Better yet, find out what your manufacturer's recommended tongue weight is, probably on the Scamp site or by calling Scamp, and find out what you actually have with yours, i.e., get it weighed if you don't already know. Remember it changes depending on packed load. OUR trailer's tongue weight goes up twenty pounds when the trailer door is fully open!

Happy Trails to you!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Hey Arthur, we have a Scamp 5th wheel and have the factory mounted receiver on the rear of the trailer. I have installed a Stowaway2 bin, pricey but great, on the back of the trailer that we towed to Alaska and back last year putting on 12,412 miles. We had absolutely no problem with this. I talked to the Scamp people and was told the rear receiver could handle up to 400 lbs, I am not sure about that, so I limited the total weight including the bin to 200lbs. Parts of the Alaskan Highway, especially in the Yukon were incredibly rough, so I don't think you have anything to worry about....
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

The reason you don't see a lot of 5th wheel advice on this FGRV forum is because we specialize in fiberglass trailers. You may have realized that already, sounds a bit like you have.

Kai
Kai, I don't think you realize that the Scamp 5th wheel is a fiberglass trailer. The Scamp 19 is a Scamp 16 with a goose neck loft added for a bed.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 AM   #5

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Thanks that really helps
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #6

Registry
Unhappy

Uh huh.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes, I know a Scamp 5th wheel is fiberglass!

I wasn't trying to drive Arthur away! The question of a rear cargo rack has arisen before on FGRV, and in the interests of those readers who have trailers (not 5th wheels) I gave a little trailer advice for those who hadn't heard it before but were interested in the rear storage option and were drawn in by the title and interest in extra storage and maybe not making the distinction clearly enough.

There is a big difference in trailers vs 5th wheels. Probably far more so than between stickie trailers and fiberglass trailers in terms of tongue weight and load distribution.

BEST
Kai
I don't understand why you answered Arthur's question about a Scamp 5'er with information about tongue weight on a bumper hitch trailer. As you say, there is a big difference between the two of them. That answer is only going to confuse people trying to get information on Fiberglass 5th wheels.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

Registry
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
5th wheel w rear cargo carrier

I have a 2002 19' Scamp. My owner manual says not to mount a rear cargo carrier but my (used) Scamp came with an official Scamp toolbox bolted to a rear cargo carrier. Had the trailer inspected before buying and the shop guy said some extra welds made the carrier well supported enough I could use it for light items, but not heavy tools. I keep a screen room and bags of charcoal in it. Have never had any problem except I have to take the tool box off to get to the spare tire. My son just modified the spare tire mount to fix this. Hope this helps!
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
The Scamp 19 is similar to a 5th Wheel trailer and a gooseneck trailer. That being said, in reality it is neither one. A 5th Wheel connects to the tow vehicle via a king pin, not a coupler, and is not required to have safety chains. A gooseneck hitches to a ball located on the FLOOR of the towing vehicle's cargo bed, and is required to have safety chains. The Scamp 19 has the towing stability of both because it connects slightly in front of (or fairly close to) the rear wheels of the tow vehicle and as a result is nowhere near as susceptible to sway as a bumper pull trailer. And the term used for the weight at the connection point is pin weight, not tongue weight, and the 10% of total weight recommendation for bumper pulled trailers does not strictly apply to 5th Wheels or to the Scamp 19. They must still, however, have adequate pin weight. One must remember any trailer is a lever with the wheel(s) serving as a fulcrum. Due to the location of the connection point of a 5th Wheel or Scamp 19, adding a cargo carrier to the rear is less likely to create a stability problem. The biggest concern is to not exceed the strength of the receiver and its connection method (welds/bolts), and not to excessively reduce the pin weight so that the "lever effect" comes into play. It is OK to use a cargo carrier as the OP has asked; just be judicious in what one uses it to carry. I certainly wouldn't try to hang an 800 pound motorcycle on the back of a Scamp 19, but the receiver was placed there to bear the weight of bicycles.

As an aside, I think Kathleen (Kai) was trying to be helpful, not antagonistic. She has been "beaten up" enough. Can't we all play nice here?
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice post, Carl. Agree on all counts!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Could we please keep this thread focused on the OP's request, and that is folks experience with bumper mount cargo carries, especially those using one with a moulded fibreglass fifth wheel like the OP owns.

I know with my Escape 5.0TA I have thoughts and ideas about using one too. I am going to first use my trailer some to see if it is really needed, and for what I will use it.

I think of any trailer platform, a fifth wheel model with the hitch weight directly over the axle, would be well suited to a rear cargo carrier.

I have a lightweight platform carrier that works well. The only issue with it is that if you are on dusty or wet roads, everything on it gets dirty. You need to have things in containers to prevent this.

My thought is to use a moulded box. A couple nice ones, though not cheap, are the StowAway2 and the Rola.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look at this:
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity
Lightweight and I used one of these on our Scamp 5R.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
single wheel trailer behind Scamp 19

I don't know about cargo carriers behind the Scamp 19, but I did once see a Scamp 19 at the Sebring Scamp Camp with a single wheel swivel trailer behind their Scamp. Two brackets attached to the bumper for up and down movement, while the single wheel carried the load and swiveled during turns. Since the trailer wheel would be supporting most of the load, the pin weight might not change much.
A setup like that might only be legal behind a "fifth wheel" type trailer and only in certain states where triple towing is allowed.
Wish I took a picture, but this image gives an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
singlewheeltrailer.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp