Scamp 19 leak vulnerability - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Scamp 19 leak vulnerability

I would like to share this, especially with the other owners of Scamp 19's, both standard and deluxe, and will eventually ask Scamp to modify the construction a bit to eliminate the vulnerability.

Last spring, while it was still winterized, i.e. no water in plumbing, I had a nasty flood in my Scamp 19D (5th wheel), layout A. It did not rain much, but the water was coming in pretty fast. The carpet was wet inside of the closet that is straight ahead from the door and water was spreading along the floor of the galley and underneath the fridge. After pulling up the edge of the carpet, mopping it up and observing, mopping up and observing again and again, then testing with a garden hose a couple of times, I got it!

The bottom edge of the FG shell of the upstairs has a black edge trim that goes all around, from where the shell meets the lower part, from left side to right side (near the door). It is pop riveted in place, about every eight inches. This edge trim acts as a gutter and rain water from the whole upstairs roof flows towards the ends where the upper shell connects to the lower one, especially when parked level, or front up a bit. The ends of that trim are blind riveted, two on each side, above the belly band, and the holes seem to be drilled right through. When the pop rivets are new and tight, all may be fine, but after a rain followed by a number of freezing and thawing cycles, without the benefit of parking under a Scamport, the pop rivets loosened up. The same problem is on both left and right. My fix was cutting about a foot off the ends of the black trim, drilling out three rivets on each side and caulking the rivet holes and the crack where the upper shell meets the lower shell.

The pictures show the left and right side, the old rivet holes are still somewhat visible, but they are sealed. I did not do the best job as far as the appearance goes, but no leaks on either side at all. Both sides had a leak, the one on the right side was small and explained a little bit of musty smell that I noticed on occasions, the one on the left was the acute one that needed this emergency action.

I think the shorter trim and exposed edge look just as good and making this change will save Scamp two feet of trim and six holes and rivets, and best of all eliminates two potential leaks! I hope they like it.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050905.JPG   P1050906.JPG  

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Are you certain that the water didn't come from the loft windows?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Please let us know how Scamp responds.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Are you certain that the water didn't come from the loft windows?
Quite certain - it was one of the spots I suspected, and I trust the garden hose tests. I started them low, along the edge trim and got that big leak. Now that this one is fixed, you might be right, I should go back and verify (trust, but verify). However, I have not seen any leaks over the summer. I try to be on top of leaks like the proverbial...
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Quite certain - it was one of the spots I suspected, and I trust the garden hose tests. I started them low, along the edge trim and got that big leak. Now that this one is fixed, you might be right, I should go back and verify (trust, but verify). However, I have not seen any leaks over the summer. I try to be on top of leaks like the proverbial...
I only asked because your trailer is well past the age for a good manual track cleaning on the window slider tracks. Just be sure the drains are open and functional.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I only asked because your trailer is well past the age for a good manual track cleaning on the window slider tracks. Just be sure the drains are open and functional.
Yup, those are clean as a whistle.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I often had a mystery leak with our old Scamp 19’. I resealed the windows, and insured that the drain holes were functioning. On rare occasions, I would still have a small amount of water to clean up after a driving rain. The issue that you discovered may have been the culprit.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Colorado
It has been a week since I contacted Scamp and provided the link to this thread. I have not heard back, but judging from previous experience, I do not really expect a response. I think they accept ideas and suggestions, but the decision what to do is strictly theirs. I was posting this primarily to help other owners who might have also had such mystery leaks.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Washington
Found the same leak

Thanks for the confirmation
Ljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljohn View Post
Thanks for the confirmation
I am glad this thread was helpful.

Happy New Year!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Name: james
Trailer: 2000 scamp 19 deluxe_layoutA
Illinois
right on

You are correct on the poor sealing in this area. I have a 2000 and there was a lack of sealing at this spot both external and up inside the upper shell. Had fair amount rot just in front of the door at the floor/wall and small amount at bathroom on the other side.
Thanks for posting this!
jimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #12

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2015 19 Scamp DLX
British Columbia
Thanks Paul just bought a 2015 19 will check that out...
Seacap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:02 AM   #13

Name: Em
Trailer: Scamp
Alaska
Thank you for sharing this info. We have a new 2023 Scamp 19 standard. First rainy day on our long drive back home with it we found multiple leaks. Water appeared at the driver wheel well cabinet area, pouring onto floor underneath the side bath and then also under the couch in both cabinets but mostly on left side (driver side). Reported it to Scamp and they thought it could be the kitchen window. Tested multiple areas with a hose and found the worst leak coming in at the spot you described. Multiple hose tests spraying the black trim caused water to enter the inside of the trailer. Scamp said they had never heard of such a leak and that this was nearly impossible due to how it is constructed. We caulked up the gap and tried to caulk inside the black trim in the back but are still having a few issues during hose testing it. Drilled out a few holes in the black trim for it for drain too. We will probably remove the black trim at that area to see what is going on. It's a major design flaw but why is the leak not common and how has Scamp never heard of it? Anyone having this problem in a brand new scamp?
Youc0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp