Scamp 19' microwave receptacle question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Scamp 19' microwave receptacle question

The microwave receptacle in the cabinet over the refrigerator does not have power to it any more. This happened after a complete short occurred when washing the camper recently. The Scamp wiring diagram is not very clear as to how that wire runs from the 120 breaker box to the cabinet. The diagram appears to show the run as part of the 120 light over the counter/cook-top. Any one know for certain if that is what they did or is it a straight run from the breaker box to the receptacle?

Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp is famous for daisy chaining outlets. If you lost the MW after washing the trailer check your outside outlet if it is a ground fault it may have tripped and be wired to the microwave. I assume you have reset your breakers in the panel.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Georgia
Eddie thanks for the reply.

That is what I suspected, but not what I waned to hear. Doing more investigating, has brought me to suspect a bad/weak breaker. It resets but for what ever reason trips. More detective work tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
Eddie thanks for the reply.

That is what I suspected, but not what I waned to hear. Doing more investigating, has brought me to suspect a bad/weak breaker. It resets but for what ever reason trips. More detective work tomorrow.
If it trips again when resetting you have a short someplace. Maybe just water in the receptacle outside. Try taking it out and check for water or anything else that could short it out. If it is a GFI any dampness can make it trip. It could also be a bad receptacle. We have found once they trip they can go bad. Don't know why but one of ours did in our house and it was almost brand new. Electric is weird. As a test ONLY you could put in a regular receptacle in the GFI and see if it works. If so then go get a new GFI and install it. Do not leave a regular receptacle in a GFI place.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
If it trips again when resetting you have a short someplace. Maybe just water in the receptacle outside.
Do not have an outside receptacle, this is a '95 19'delux. The receptacle is inside the cabinet over the refrigerator.
Quote:
<snip> It could also be a bad receptacle. We have found once they trip they can go bad. Don't know why but one of ours did in our house and it was almost brand new. Electric is weird. <snip>
I have seen that too, in fact I have seen circuit breakers go bad very quickly. I am replacing the receptacle, it had the original '95 model installed. I agree electricity can be very weird, that is why we "adopted" a friend of our that is a commercial electrician. He comes in handy for all of our silly projects, the only problem is he is gone for months at a time.

A recent development since I posted this question is having us travel to Backus and Scamp with the trailer the week after thanksgiving. If nothing else I can get the info I need straight from the source.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
No need to travel to Scamp factory. Hire any electrician to diagnose and fix the problem. That will cost less.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Do not have an outside receptacle, this is a '95 19'delux. The receptacle is inside the cabinet over the refrigerator.I have seen that too, in fact I have seen circuit breakers go bad very quickly. I am replacing the receptacle, it had the original '95 model installed. I agree electricity can be very weird, that is why we "adopted" a friend of our that is a commercial electrician. He comes in handy for all of our silly projects, the only problem is he is gone for months at a time.

A recent development since I posted this question is having us travel to Backus and Scamp with the trailer the week after thanksgiving. If nothing else I can get the info I need straight from the source.
You don't have any outside receptacles at all? I know the microwave one would be by the microwave but it could be connected to another one. Most trailers have an outside receptacle and those 2 would most likely be on one line.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I suspect that the outlet the micro wave is plugged into is gfi outlet and has been tripped. There's should be a reset button on the outlet.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
No need to travel to Scamp factory. Hire any electrician to diagnose and fix the problem. That will cost less.
The problem is diagnosed, somewhat, and will be corrected in the next few days. We are going Backus anyway, when you are retired no problem as to when and where you want to travel.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
You don't have any outside receptacles at all? I know the microwave one would be by the microwave but it could be connected to another one. Most trailers have an outside receptacle and those 2 would most likely be on one line.
No, no outside receptacle. It appears Scamp is notorious for daisy chaining receptacles.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I suspect that the outlet the micro wave is plugged into is gfi outlet and has been tripped. There's should be a reset button on the outlet.
No, it is not a GFI. It's only a 3 prong 15 amp receptacle, and looking at the amount of crud attached it is the original.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
No, it is not a GFI. It's only a 3 prong 15 amp receptacle, and looking at the amount of crud attached it is the original.
Many GFI outlets are 3 prong. For GFI to work you only need two.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
One GFI receptacle can also control other receptacles down stream, the daisy chain thing. Might want to look at all of your plugs to see if the controlling one is tripped.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #14

Georgia
Please everyone, my camper does not have any GFI receptacles.

Thank you.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Have you looked inside the plug box? Is there more than 1 set of wires in and out of the box? If there is more than 1 set then there is more than 1 plug on that circuit guaranteed. Another laymans way to check for additional plugs on the same circuit is to lpug a hair dryer into all the remaining plugs and if one of them doesn't work then most likely it is on the same circuit. If you find that is the only plug on that circuit I would run new wire from the plug to the breaker. If this is above your skill set then hire someone to do it for you.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
There is nothing wrong or illegal or unsafe with the wiring method Scamp employs . Feeding other receptacles that require GFCI protection off the load side of a GFCI is accepted practice especially in residential work . Placing receptacles in parallel again is common practice . No one wires a house with every receptacle or light on a separate circuit Most circuits in a home feed 10 or more openings .The cost to wire every outlet separately would very prohibitive and would be a waste of money.
I was a licensed electrician for over 40 years and IMHO Scamp does a better job of wiring than most including some of the high end FG trsilers.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
You say the problem was diagnosed
Can you share what you found as others may experience the same issues
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
The problem is diagnosed, somewhat, and will be corrected in the next few days. We are going Backus anyway, when you are retired no problem as to when and where you want to travel.
You are so right about traveling where and when if you are retired! Since I retired, I keep telling people I do things according to the weather, not according to what day of the week it is. In any case, watch the weather when driving to Backus after Thanksgiving, it could be cold and icy.
And I am also curious what your diagnosis was and what was done to repair the problem.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #19

Georgia
What I concluded is the camper power cord connection shorted while washing the camper. This lead to the GFI, IN THE BASEMENT, tripping every time the camper was plugged in. This in turn caused the breaker for said receptacle to trip in such a way that I did not catch it until much later. Any way the outlet will be wired to a new receptacle and I will be keeping an eye on that breaker. Since it may be in need of replacing.

Thanks to all who offered solutions.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
What I concluded is the camper power cord connection shorted while washing the camper. This lead to the GFI, IN THE BASEMENT, tripping every time the camper was plugged in. This in turn caused the breaker for said receptacle to trip in such a way that I did not catch it until much later. Any way the outlet will be wired to a new receptacle and I will be keeping an eye on that breaker. Since it may be in need of replacing.
Thanks to all who offered solutions.
Good job Michael, a '95 TT just to new to not have a GFI some place in it. Your problem kind of reminded me of when the receptacle on my deck tripped. Being I had recently bought the house I found the controlling GFI was a long way from the deck in the kitchen. BTW, GFIs & breakers can wear out over time.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, scamp

« U Haul | parkliner »