scamp 4 lug spare tire mount pic? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
can someone post a pic of their scamp 4 lug spare tire mount? its missing on my 86 scamp (and scamp only offers a 5 lug mount now) and i am really tired of moving that spare tire around from one spot to another, just want to make one up and put the tire on a be done with it.. if you can post the dimensions of the studs that would be great. by the holes left in the back wall of the scamp, i am assuming its just simply a plate with two studs welded to them, goes through the wall and another set of nuts/washers holds it flat against the wall. push the tire on and tighten the lugs down and thats it.. correct?

i am going to make one, pics and some measurements to go by would be helpful!

anyway, any help/measurements/pics highly appreciated!

thanks!
andy
andy vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
can someone post a pic of their scamp 4 lug spare tire mount? its missing on my 86 scamp (and scamp only offers a 5 lug mount now) and i am really tired of moving that spare tire around from one spot to another, just want to make one up and put the tire on a be done with it.. if you can post the dimensions of the studs that would be great. by the holes left in the back wall of the scamp, i am assuming its just simply a plate with two studs welded to them, goes through the wall and another set of nuts/washers holds it flat against the wall. push the tire on and tighten the lugs down and thats it.. correct?

i am going to make one, pics and some measurements to go by would be helpful!

anyway, any help/measurements/pics highly appreciated!

thanks!
andy
Andy,

It's a little tough to provide a picture , but our '04 13' Scamp uses three studs, I think, welded to some sort of backing plate inside the trailer as you describe. What I wanted to mention, is that they use another set of nuts on the studs behind the wheel so you're tightening into those and not crunching the tire directly into the fiberglass body. I adjust mine so I have a slight clearance between the tire and body, allowing for a little flex in everything. Hope someone can post something closer to what you have.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
(and scamp only offers a 5 lug mount now)
I just re-read your post. 5 lug mount?.....now I've got to go look!

Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #4

thanks parker!.. sounds like you have the 5 lug mount, the 2 lug mount is 2 studs not 3. there is a picture of one on their parts page. i've called them and they no longer have a 2 stud carrier.

Quote:
I just re-read your post. 5 lug mount?.....now I've got to go look!

Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Andy,

Okay, I couldn't stand it any more; thought maybe oldtimers is sneaking up on me. I confirmed that I have a three lug mount. Two studs on the bottom and one centered above. No reason to believe this is anything other than original. I can post a picture tomorrow if it's helpful, but it sounds like your setup is different. Strange that Scamp doesn't mention this arrangement, though.

Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

yup, that is for a 5-lug wheel. spoke with the parts guy at scamp and he told me that they no longer use 4 lug wheels. earlier scamps came with 4 lug wheels and only use two studs for mounting the spare wheel.

i guess its probably my fault for confusing things by using the same terms. 5 lug wheel = 3 lug spare tire mount. 4 lug wheel = 2 lug spare tire mount.

can you tell me how long the studs are?

thanks for the help!
andy

Quote:
Andy,

Okay, I couldn't stand it any more; thought maybe oldtimers is sneaking up on me. I confirmed that I have a three lug mount. Two studs on the bottom and one centered above. No reason to believe this is anything other than original. I can post a picture tomorrow if it's helpful, but it sounds like your setup is different. Strange that Scamp doesn't mention this arrangement, though.

Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The three stud plate is a much stronger arrangement than the older two stud deal, but you will end up having to drill two more holes and have another old hole to patch. I chose to stick with the two stud arrangement for that reason. But the all-thread is weaker than hardened bolts.
The older scamps only had two long all-tread rods sticking out of the back of the trailer. The reason they used all-thread is because you can't find a long enough bolt (About 6") that the threads come up to the shoulder of the bolt head. I welded a nut and big washer on the all-thread rod used on the inside of the trailer. (Scamp just welded a large washer to the rod.) They then drilled two holes in the fiberglass and inserted the rods, and then they tightened up a nut and washer on the outside of the trailer. On one of my trailers the inside ends of the rods was glassed over. Then you install two more nuts on the rods and mount your tire and rim. Adjust the inside nuts so the tire just touches the trailer, then install two more nuts to hold the tire and rim in place. I then cut off the excess rods about 1/2" past the outer nut. I also cut a small block of wood to fill the space between the tire and bumper to support the weight of the tire. I bolted the block of wood to the top of the back bumper.
To get the old hardware of the trailer use a dremmel tool and grind a small slot in the outside nuts against the trailer. (Without damaging the fiberglass.) Then use a nut splitter to remove the outside nuts. On the inside take a razor and make one vertical cut in the ensolite and deal with the inside hardware. When you finish up just seal the ensolite seam with calking.
One more note. Besides having a lug wrench you will need a deep socket or some type of wrench to remove the nuts holding the spare on since they are not the same size as the lug nuts.

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
can you tell me how long the studs are?
Andy,

The studs extend approximately 4 3/8" from the body of the Scamp. They could be longer, since at this length they're well inside the rim. There is a nut and washer on the outside tightened against the fiberglass, then a nut to space the wheel out the right distance, the wheel, then the lug nut. Mine uses regular lug nuts, so if you're making something up, maybe you can match the diameter and thread pitch to the lugs. Good luck!

Parker
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #9

thanks eddie and parker for the info! i will start fabbing up something... great info as usual!!

cheers!
andy
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Here is what ours looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	17341
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0806.JPG  
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Here is what ours looks like...
That's what my 1988 looks like. Inside, under the rat fur and reflex is a piece of plywood about the same size as the tire. It's been fiberglassed to the back wall. Through the hull, Scamp sent two carriage bolts with large fender washer welded to the heads, and nuts on the outside to hold the bolt in place next to the body. The tire actually rested on the bumper, so there wasn't any stress on the bolts. It held the spare in place just fine for about 18 years, until I removed the tire (different tires of course ) and filled the holes. So, I would assume something similar would work on another trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #12

thank you both!

i am probably putting waaaaaay more preparation into this than its necessary but at least i know what i need to build!

thanks again!
andy

Tags
scamp