Scamp 5th wheel hitch/long bed truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #1

Name: Searlait
Trailer: In the market
California
Scamp 5th wheel hitch/long bed truck

I just bought a scamp 5th wheel. I have a Dodge Dually and because of long bed. The hitch will have to be modified. Anyone out there have suggestions? It currently has a bulldog hitch for my 35 foot horse trailer. But the main problem is bed length. I'm trying to figure out if adapting that hitch is the way to go. I've been told that I could mount the hitch further back behind the wheels but seems to me you would loose stability
Searlait C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:03 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searlait C. View Post
I just bought a scamp 5th wheel. I have a Dodge Dually and because of long bed. The hitch will have to be modified. Anyone out there have suggestions? It currently has a bulldog hitch for my 35 foot horse trailer. But the main problem is bed length. I'm trying to figure out if adapting that hitch is the way to go. I've been told that I could mount the hitch further back behind the wheels but seems to me you would loose stability
There was another member here that cut the Scamp coupler off and welded on a true 5th wheel hitch coupler. He did a nice job of it too. Have no idea of your hitch for your horse trailer being in a working location for a Scamp. A rework of the Scamp coupler could fix that but I wonder if your bed rails are too high. Might have to do a lift to the TT.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
5th wheel hitch

We have a member of the NL Caravan who has a Scamp 19 modified for a traditional 5th wheel hitch. It looks smaller than what the big 5th wheels use. It's mounted in a Chevy S-10.

You could send him a PM at Chris (FRV Name). If you have trouble making contact let me know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not going to encourage the conversion to an actual 5th wheel king pin, but if you're determined... check out Jared's thread. This will take you directly to the information in his 37 page thread (lots of good info!): http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post345106
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #5

California
My Dually bed depth is 19 inches. The trailer already has a lift I am trying to avoid having two hitches in my truck bed. My bulldog hitch is the type that is a drop down when not in use.
Biggest problem is clearance during turns because of front wall to center of King pin length. Either hitch will require a conversion to trailer. Trying to decide which ( king pin or bulldog ) would be most economical and safest
Work will be done professionally by a shop that I have had other work done at in the past
Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

California
Thanks for suggestions everyone. Btw. I owned a horse trailer repair company for a number of years. Have pulled 40 foot horse trailers full of horses/mules for many many years I'm not Looking for details, because every truck and trailer combo is different. Just asking if any one else had done the conversion.
That being said safety is always # 1 get it done professionally unless you job is a welder/fabricator. Your life could depend on it.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searlait C. View Post
My Dually bed depth is 19 inches. The trailer already has a lift I am trying to avoid having two hitches in my truck bed. My bulldog hitch is the type that is a drop down when not in use.
Biggest problem is clearance during turns because of front wall to center of King pin length. Either hitch will require a conversion to trailer. Trying to decide which ( king pin or bulldog ) would be most economical and safest
Work will be done professionally by a shop that I have had other work done at in the past
It sounds like you have a "GOOSE NECK" set-up in your truck bed, not a 5th wheel hitch?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

California
Yes. I'm trying to decide if I want two hitches in the bed of my truck
Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The above posts were split from a mostly unrelated topic, creating a new thread that might get more visibility (and thus useful discussion? The posts in the new thread are 3 months old, so maybe the OP has found his solution already...)

Anyway, the original thread is in General Chat, titled Responses and Advice Given Here.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote