Scamp AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp AC

Is it possible to replace the under table model air conditioner in an older Scamp? I know that they aren't structually prepared for a roof top, but is there a replacement that would work more effectively?
Thanks

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:13 AM   #2

Adrian

Welcome to the forum! :wave

I don't have the exact answer to your question, but you came to the right place. We have all shapes and size of molded fiberglass trailers and someone will know.

In the meantime, perhaps some general information will help. I have an older Casita that has an air conditioner in the back window. I have looked into what all is available, because it's old and I know it's going to be going out soon. It's a basic, small window air conditioner and I'm guessing yours probably is also. As far as efficiency, I think any of the newer models would be more efficient than these 'ancients' that we have...but I don't know that for sure. Somewhere I read that a unit that has a rotary compressor is suppose to be better for our trailers, because they pull less power on start up. Don't know that for certain, just something I remember reading somewhere.

If what you have is just a regular window A/C then Walmart has one (Fedders) on line for $98 (5,200 BTU). Since mine is in the back window, weight is extremely important to me and this one meets my needs. It might not be a concern for you being down below.

First, find out what you have...then you will know what you can use. I have no experience with the Fedders unit, it just seems to come the closet to what I need.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #3

Portable AC Thread

Adrian,

There was a thread two or three weeks ago on portable AC's that had a lot of really good info. You might do a search on "portable AC" and take a look at some of the comments there. Good luck.

Bob :)

Old 04-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #4

AC replacement

Adrian,

Yes, you can replace the air-conditioner with a new one. Scamp and Casita as well as other manufactures put a lot of thought into where they placed everything in our trailers. Most of the time they did a good job. That said, If I wanted to keep an air-conditioner I would keep it where it is. If you want more efficiency look at some of the new units. All of the new units are more efficient than the older ones and if you look around you will find one that will fit in the old location. You may have to do a little trim around a new one, but don't let that worry you.

The resale of your trailer will be worth a lot more if you do things in a way to make it appear more original.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #5

Cabinet AC unit

Dometic Cool Cat is probably just the ticket.

http://www.rvamerica.com/rvamerica_magazin...metic_warms.htm

Ned Worcester
17' bigfoot
Seattle

Tags
scamp