Scamp Air Conditioner housing loose - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
I had posted this over on the Scampers forum, and then thought that it MIGHT have value here too...

I had noticed that the interior housing for the A/C had dropped from the Ceiling - you could see the imprint in the rat fur from where it HAD been tight against the top. It was ONLY the aft (rear) part of the
housing that was loose / low --- the front, while "loose" was still fairly snugged.

First, I JUST washed our baby, and so I am 100% sure that there was NO leakage from the outside. Hooray!

Here is what I found / did for the interior fix...

1). When I examined the housing, I hoticed that towards the aft end of the housing, there are two plastic "screws" with slotted heads. When they were removed, the center of the housing drops loose. (The FORWARD end is held in place with two tabs that insert into the remainder of the housing). The bulk of the housing stays attached.

2). With the center section dropped, i noticed four sheet metal screws - phillips head. Ah-HA! thought I... I snugged them down and....wait a minute... hmmm.... STILL loose?

3). On closer inspection, I noticed 4 hex screws up INSIDE the housing. Now, (a day or two later), my best recollection is that in order to reach the forward hex screws, I had to remove the 4 phillips sheet metal screws and remove the WHOLE interior housing... after taking the sheet metal screws out, the housing is hanging loose, with the 120v wiring coming IN (aft) and the wiring from the interior controls OUT - up to the roof section.

4). Snugged THOSE four hex bolts down... Voila! The interior mounting plate snugged down.

5). Re-assembly SHOULD HAVE gone smooth - but I could NOT get those silly plastic "screws" to attach - they are not "screws" - no threads, but rather they just hook into a fitting designed for them in the ousing. Couldn't get them to work AT ALL. So...

6). After a couple of false starts, I ended up with a couple of 1/4" X 2" Carriage bolts - with the square section just below the head. I had to loosen the two aft sheet metal screws to loosen the housing, give my fingers room to insert and drop the carriage bolts thru the existing holes - the square part keeps the carriage bolt from turning. It took a little work, but eventulally I nutted them with a regular hex nut, using Needle Nose pliars to pull DOWN the bolt, GENTLY started the nut, then pulled the NUT down with the needle nose while tightening. Topped it off each side with an acorn nut for appearance and moved on to some NON Scamp chores!

Why, oh WHY is nothing as easy as you first think it SHOULD be?
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote