Scamp awning, Rain, Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have put the same awning on my Scamp as Joy's. However, I've done nothing to prevent rain from draining down the side. I put the awning on to provide shade, not to get out of the rain. In Oregon, when it rains, typically the wind is blowing the water sideways and the dry space under the awning would be about the size of a doormat.

For me, I prefer to be able to wash the roof down thoroughly and not trap dirt, twigs and moss behind the awning. Keeping it open allows for a thorough cleaning. YMMV

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If I had a choice of windows I would go for sliders on the rear so you have a nice big view window with little blocking it and the jalousie on the two rear side windows and on the one over the stove, so they can be open in the rain.

As was suggested adding a cover to the Fantastic Fan would also be a big plus. I wish I could have one but as it is my trailer only fits into my carport with an inch of clearance and I dont want to bother with having to climb up and take a cover on and off after every trip.

My trailer came to me with most options on it with the exception of the AC and the front overhead bins - the later being the one option I *really* wish it had.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #17

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is what I did!
Attached Thumbnails
awning uhaul.jpg  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #18

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Nice work, Kirkman. I'm adding it to my list of potential awning solutions. It appears to be removable. How did you fasten the awning at the top?

DJ
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hi Joy;
It's not clear what "not just" means in context, but you have an Horizon awning and I have a Catalina 2500.
The whole small piece of PVC works best with the Catalina,with a small smooth bead of silicone on each side from above, it forms a perfect gutter.
Your Horizon is shaped differently and may require the extra effort? Bigger gap maybe?
Did you order your trailer without an awning, and put the Horizon on when your trailer was new?
Hi Floyd, "Not Just"... meant not the whole PVC pipe. Rather I cut mine lengthwise making a nice little gutter.

The brand of awning makes no difference. It's the how the trailer brackets are placed on the trailer as well as the design of the trailer brackets. There are a lot of different trailer brackets that will work with either awning.

I ordered the trailer without the awning. About a year later had the trailer brackets made and installed them and the Horizon myself. There was no extra effort needed. I simply decided I wanted a "u" gutter, so I cut the PVC pipe to make one. While yours is a rounded gutter as you simply set the whole PVC pipe in filling the gap. I too, used caulk to set my gutter.

I've seen lots of Scamp from the factory with your Catalina awning and the gap between the trailer and awning varies. My gap is probably 3/4 of an inch maybe a little more. I plotted it when I added the awning bracket to the trailer bracket thus setting the awning lower and closer to the trailer while still clearing the door substantually.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Hi Floyd, "Not Just"... meant not the whole PVC pipe. Rather I cut mine lengthwise making a nice little gutter.

The brand of awning makes no difference. It's the how the trailer brackets are placed on the trailer as well as the design of the trailer brackets. There are a lot of different trailer brackets that will work with either awning.

I ordered the trailer without the awning. About a year later had the trailer brackets made and installed them and the Horizon myself. There was no extra effort needed. I simply decided I wanted a "u" gutter, so I cut the PVC pipe to make one. While yours is a rounded gutter as you simply set the whole PVC pipe in filling the gap. I too, used caulk to set my gutter.

I've seen lots of Scamp from the factory with your Catalina awning and the gap between the trailer and awning varies. My gap is probably 3/4 of an inch maybe a little more. I plotted it when I added the awning bracket to the trailer bracket thus setting the awning lower and closer to the trailer while still clearing the door substantually.
The gap on mine is just shy of 3/4" at the narrowest point along the 45 degree anle, the pipe is 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe with an OD of 7/8", it sets lower in the gap and doesn't have a significant roundness to the "gutter" floor due to the fact that it is caulked on each side. Also the Catalina has a flat mounting surface on the back only part way down, it then diverges outward at about a 45 degree angle providing the slightly tapered pocket in which to place the pipe.
My pipe is tucked into that area below the mounting surface. The brand does indeed make a significant difference as does the pipe size.
Since the back of your Horizon is pretty much flat and vertical except for the rounded top and bottom, then your cut PVC works well.
Cutting the pipe would not have worked well in my application.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Floyd,

I agree the pipe size makes a lot of difference. Even with your awning I would done the same thing. It would work. It's how I choose to mount it.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp, windows