Scamp awning, Rain, Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Scamp awning, Rain, Windows

Some questions for those of you with the Scamp awning. It looks to me like the awning does not mount tight against the Scamp body but rather that there is a space between. Does water run down the side of the Scamp in a rain (and yes, we would take it down in a bigger storm).

Also, with sliding windows, how does one ventilate the trailer without getting rain in through the windows? Is there some source of air inflow other than the windows? Does anyone have window awnings?

We like to have as many windows open as possible.

Thanks for your help
DJ
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Dan
Yes there is a space between the trailer and awning and yes water does run thru there and hunts your eye down in my experience,wearing glasses.

Most people seem to stick something in the space thus making a gutter of sorts and then the water will just run to the ends to get in the window and door.

The Scamp also has little metal drip gaurds over the windows but they only provide a minimum of protection too.

I like these

Window/Maxx | Latest

and I have them on the 2 side windows of my Casita now. With these and the roof vent cover you can have decent cross breeze going without any water getting in at all.

I have seen window awnings and am considering making some too.

I also have a spare Bag Awning that I am thinking of mounting on the other side of the trailer so I will have sun and rain protection on both sides.

Lastly I have also used an EZ Up type free standing shelter over the entire trailer which keeps the rain off and makes things a lot cooler without sun directly on the roof.

What size Scamp did you order?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #3

Minnesota
HI Ed, Thanks. That was a lot of good information. The Windows/Maxx product looks good but I notice that they only allow the window to open four inches. Not sure how much open I'll be willing to sacrifice.

I'm still thinking about window awnings also. I could probably whip some up out of awning track, Sunbrella fabric, and some PVC tubing or boat bimini top hardware. The manufactured ones are mighty spendy.

A mix of Window/Maxx on two windows and a couple of awnings on others might be a good setup for us.

We have a 16 foot Scamp number 7 layout on order. Lots of windows and lots of places to sit around. We prefer to avoid crawling over each other so the 7 layout would give us more sleeping options. I'm thinking of modding the couch/bunk by remaking the upper bunk into a 4 foot wide back rest that could be hinged up against the front window at night, removing the bunk support sockets, and having a one-piece mattress made up that would increase the width to about 30 inches.

We have lots of other mods in mind but we'll be taking it slow because, as we have found out with our tent trailer, some things are best left as the designer intended.

BTW we have toured Casitas and were very impressed. Beautifully executed interiors. Our main reason for going with Scamp is that they are right here in Minnesota and are willing to do a fair amount of customizing for us.

Thanks, Ed
DJ
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rain and slider windows is the very reason I'd love to have the old fashioned jalousie windows. Does Scamp still offer the semi-jalousies? If they do, to ME, it would be worth paying extra YMMV
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Dan

The Window Maxx allow the 4 inches of protected ventilation but are easily opened past that point too but without then keeping the rain out.

Also I am not sure about the Jalousie option still being offered but if so they are very handy too. They do only let the air in thru 1/2 the window as you can see in Donnas picture but that is the case with the slider windows as well.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Dan and welcome. Two years ago jalousie windows on the sides were a no cost option and I read somewhere that the sliders were being phased out completely?? Worth a call to Scamp. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Attachment 42085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
Some questions for those of you with the Scamp awning. It looks to me like the awning does not mount tight against the Scamp body but rather that there is a space between. Does water run down the side of the Scamp in a rain (and yes, we would take it down in a bigger storm).

Also, with sliding windows, how does one ventilate the trailer without getting rain in through the windows? Is there some source of air inflow other than the windows? Does anyone have window awnings?

We like to have as many windows open as possible.

Thanks for your help
DJ
We spent 93 cents to drop a length of white PVC pipe into the gap, then caulked it in from above, works great, and and has since 2004.
Look here....
Attached Thumbnails
sm11.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Minnesota
Great idea with the PVC pipe! And about as cheap a fix as possible. You folks are just full of great ideas and they are all going onto my checklist.

DJ
Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Add a gutter to the awning. It was the most annoying thing when we had a Scamp 13. Where we are with lots of pine trees the pine straw would accumulate between the awning and camper when it rained. What a Pita to get out of there. Also, when it rained hard so much water ran down the camper the Splash back would get the inside bottom of the door wet! We went from a popup to the Scamp too and I prefer the bag awning on the popup to the one that came with the Scamp.

We used the crank out window above the stove to ventilate in cold weather to prevent condensation. If you didn't get the A/C you could add a 2-way Maxxair fan. With one or two windows slightly open it would pull plenty of air through like a whole house fan. If you added some sort of awnings to the windows on the walls of your sleeping area it will pull the air right over you. Nothing is like having all of the bunk end windows open though.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I also heard that the side sliders were going to be fazed out. That
Scamp was going to install the new Jalousie windows like in Donna D's picture. You may be getting them and not the sliders.

I too, used PVC to fill the gap. I cut the PVC length-wise so it's a "U" shaped gutter not just a PVC pipe filling the gap. Mine has been in place for some 10 years, sealed in with caulk.

I have Window Maxx's on my sliders and they are fine. No visuability problem or lack of air circulation.

If the window over the stove is an option be sure to get it.

Don't forget to get the Fantastic fan whether you opt for an air conditioner or not.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rain and slider windows is the very reason I'd love to have the old fashioned jalousie windows. Does Scamp still offer the semi-jalousies? If they do, to ME, it would be worth paying extra YMMV
Donna, I saw a Scamp that was only a few months old a Joshua Tree a couple of weeks ago and it had windows very much like the ones in your photo. The owner indicated that was how it came from the factory. The owner didn't indicate if that style of window was now standard or if it was an option.
If they are now standard then no need for awning or Maxi vents as venting in the rain should not be an issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I also heard that the side sliders were going to be fazed out. That
Scamp was going to install the new Jalousie windows like in Donna D's picture. You may be getting them and not the sliders.

I too, used PVC to fill the gap. I cut the PVC length-wise so it's a "U" shaped gutter not just a PVC pipe filling the gap. Mine has been in place for some 10 years, sealed in with caulk.

I have Window Maxx's on my sliders and they are fine. No visuability problem or lack of air circulation.

If the window over the stove is an option be sure to get it.

Don't forget to get the Fantastic fan whether you opt for an air conditioner or not.
Hi Joy;
It's not clear what "not just" means in context, but you have an Horizon awning and I have a Catalina 2500.
The whole small piece of PVC works best with the Catalina,with a small smooth bead of silicone on each side from above, it forms a perfect gutter.
Your Horizon is shaped differently and may require the extra effort? Bigger gap maybe?
Did you order your trailer without an awning, and put the Horizon on when your trailer was new?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Dan,
Get the jalousie windows, or sliders and install maxair vents also get a Maxairfan, or fantastic fan with cover. As for awning I took mine off....
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #14

Minnesota
We have ordered the new Scamp with:
Awning - because my wife is sun burns easily and needs the shade
Air conditioning - because we will often be traveling in hot and humid weather
Fantastic Fan - because they ARE fantastic

We have both an Easy-up and a screen room for longer stays.

Part of the reason for the way we are speccing this trailer is that it will be used both for trips where we move almost every day for long distance trips and for trips close to home with our bicycle/kayak club where we stay for three to five days at a time. For the first type of trip we want to be able to set up and strike camp quickly. For the second type we would have all of the goodies (kayaks, bikes, screen room, Easy-up, folding rocker, etc.) along to make for a comfy stay.

When we visited the Scamp factory they offered the choice of either type of window and did not indicate that either type would be phased out. Of course, as we all know, things change. They said they wouldn't start building ours until late February/early March since we do not want to pick it up until the snow melts. Nevertheless, I plan to make another trip up to Backus to finalize some of the specs.

This is going to be fun. Also... this has to be the busiest and most helpful forum I've ever come across. Amazing.

DJ
Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have put the same awning on my Scamp as Joy's. However, I've done nothing to prevent rain from draining down the side. I put the awning on to provide shade, not to get out of the rain. In Oregon, when it rains, typically the wind is blowing the water sideways and the dry space under the awning would be about the size of a doormat.

For me, I prefer to be able to wash the roof down thoroughly and not trap dirt, twigs and moss behind the awning. Keeping it open allows for a thorough cleaning. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If I had a choice of windows I would go for sliders on the rear so you have a nice big view window with little blocking it and the jalousie on the two rear side windows and on the one over the stove, so they can be open in the rain.

As was suggested adding a cover to the Fantastic Fan would also be a big plus. I wish I could have one but as it is my trailer only fits into my carport with an inch of clearance and I dont want to bother with having to climb up and take a cover on and off after every trip.

My trailer came to me with most options on it with the exception of the AC and the front overhead bins - the later being the one option I *really* wish it had.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #17

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is what I did!
Attached Thumbnails
awning uhaul.jpg  
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #18

Minnesota
Nice work, Kirkman. I'm adding it to my list of potential awning solutions. It appears to be removable. How did you fasten the awning at the top?

DJ
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hi Joy;
It's not clear what "not just" means in context, but you have an Horizon awning and I have a Catalina 2500.
The whole small piece of PVC works best with the Catalina,with a small smooth bead of silicone on each side from above, it forms a perfect gutter.
Your Horizon is shaped differently and may require the extra effort? Bigger gap maybe?
Did you order your trailer without an awning, and put the Horizon on when your trailer was new?
Hi Floyd, "Not Just"... meant not the whole PVC pipe. Rather I cut mine lengthwise making a nice little gutter.

The brand of awning makes no difference. It's the how the trailer brackets are placed on the trailer as well as the design of the trailer brackets. There are a lot of different trailer brackets that will work with either awning.

I ordered the trailer without the awning. About a year later had the trailer brackets made and installed them and the Horizon myself. There was no extra effort needed. I simply decided I wanted a "u" gutter, so I cut the PVC pipe to make one. While yours is a rounded gutter as you simply set the whole PVC pipe in filling the gap. I too, used caulk to set my gutter.

I've seen lots of Scamp from the factory with your Catalina awning and the gap between the trailer and awning varies. My gap is probably 3/4 of an inch maybe a little more. I plotted it when I added the awning bracket to the trailer bracket thus setting the awning lower and closer to the trailer while still clearing the door substantually.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Hi Floyd, "Not Just"... meant not the whole PVC pipe. Rather I cut mine lengthwise making a nice little gutter.

The brand of awning makes no difference. It's the how the trailer brackets are placed on the trailer as well as the design of the trailer brackets. There are a lot of different trailer brackets that will work with either awning.

I ordered the trailer without the awning. About a year later had the trailer brackets made and installed them and the Horizon myself. There was no extra effort needed. I simply decided I wanted a "u" gutter, so I cut the PVC pipe to make one. While yours is a rounded gutter as you simply set the whole PVC pipe in filling the gap. I too, used caulk to set my gutter.

I've seen lots of Scamp from the factory with your Catalina awning and the gap between the trailer and awning varies. My gap is probably 3/4 of an inch maybe a little more. I plotted it when I added the awning bracket to the trailer bracket thus setting the awning lower and closer to the trailer while still clearing the door substantually.
The gap on mine is just shy of 3/4" at the narrowest point along the 45 degree anle, the pipe is 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe with an OD of 7/8", it sets lower in the gap and doesn't have a significant roundness to the "gutter" floor due to the fact that it is caulked on each side. Also the Catalina has a flat mounting surface on the back only part way down, it then diverges outward at about a 45 degree angle providing the slightly tapered pocket in which to place the pipe.
My pipe is tucked into that area below the mounting surface. The brand does indeed make a significant difference as does the pipe size.
Since the back of your Horizon is pretty much flat and vertical except for the rounded top and bottom, then your cut PVC works well.
Cutting the pipe would not have worked well in my application.

Tags
awning, scamp, windows