Scamp bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp bed

I finally got the bed set up the way I want it. This will be permanent since it will be just me camping, and I can use the couch for seating. I may never change the sheets because it was so much work to make this bed! I fear that the rounded corners will start to bulge from the outside because of all the fabric I tucked into that back wall and corners. Maybe I had too many layers. I am giving thought to a plan that will hermetically seal the made-up bed, and then I could just toss a sleeping bag on top for practical use. And I'm only half kidding!
I have attempted to attach a photo. Hopefully it will work.
Attached Thumbnails
0610132025.jpg  
Pam M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yup, fixing the bed on my ParkLiner is a chore as well lol. Im planning one day to get a queen sized foam mattress or a nice futon and bring the cushions in and use a real mattress thats a rectangle so would be easier to get the sheets on it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #3

Hi Deryk - thanks for the post. I did buy a 2-inch gel memory foam (infused with green tea, mind you). I haven't gone camping yet so I can't say how it will be for an entire night, but I'm optimistic it will be comfy. (It was on a short test rest) There's no room in my 13' Scamp for a bigger mattress, but I'm just so happy to have this new (to me) toy that I'm good with it!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
Cool, well I wish you a lot of luck...take lots of pictures and fill out your registry so we can see your scamp!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
The bed looks cozy comfy. I am actually doing what you mentioned. I have the bed made up nicely and purchased a colorfuly cute sleeping bag a LL Bean. I roll it up and it looks like a bolster that I keep on the bed with the throw pillows. At night I unroll it and sleep in the bag. I hate making up the bed and will probably just wash all the linens when they REALLY need freshening. I have old sheets that I cover the bed and couch with when the trailers stored between camping trips.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #6

I live about half an hour from L.L. Bean! I hadn't decided what to do about the bed yet, but I don't want to deal with making it every morning. I liked your idea, Linda - so I went to Bean's website and ordered the fleece sleeping bag in navy blue so it will match my bedding. It will look nice rolled up at the "foot" of the bed, and I also plan to get a couple blue throw pillows. It's fun making my Scamp look all girly! I realize the fleece bag won't be for cold weather, but I have a cube-shaped ceramic disk heater that throws plenty of heat. I stay in campgrounds where I can have electricity, so I'll be all set. I do have a sleeping bag from my old camping days, but the inside fabric is not comfortable at all. Besides, it's pink so it wouldn't match my colors. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
Slackers LOL!

I have a nice big comfy bed to roll around in...Im not sleeping in a sleepingbag...unless Im bringing my -20 mummy bag for some hardcore winter camping as a backup plan lol.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Pam,
Your bed looks, indeed, very comfy and cute! I've attached some photos of my comfy bed solution. It does involve some custom sewing, which is fairly easy and well worth doing. I cut a queen-size thermal topper (no gel) to size and made two long sections so I could roll them up and put them in the under-seat storage area. I sewed custom-covers out of 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt fabric) with zippers on the ends. The covers fit smoothly, act as sheets (no tucking in required) and I simply wash them as needed.

The comforters are full/queen size direct from the store. I sleep with my husband and we like different temperatures. I put loops and buttons (I did not want noisy Velcro, or a long zipper) around the comforters so my husband could have double layers and I could toss one layer to the middle when I wanted a cooler sleeping experience. We do not tuck in anything as there is enough overhang everywhere to keep us covered and cozy.

Note: The image of the comforter flat on the bed shows the comforter folded in half. I do this when the bed is "made up" for the day.

Happy Camping!
Gilda (Jill-da)
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

I looked at the pics of your Parkliner, and it looks very nice. I've never even heard of that company - is it new? It had to be nice getting a brand new egg, no worries about cleaning it. I'm a teensy bit of a germaphobe (understatement), and even though my used camper was very clean and well-cared for - well, I'll just say I've gone through a few canisters of disinfectant wipes!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

Thank you Gilda for your reply and for the photos. It is so nice seeing what others have done with their Scamps. I like your solution. Two separate foam pads - brilliant! It's great that you have a comfortable bed, but you can still set the table up during the day. I'm going to save your idea for future reference!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The loft bed in our 5ver is a workout to make, something I think my husband should do once so he understands why I won't remake the bed when he trying to level the trailer. I have seen where some have turned theirs.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Pam, I love my ParkLiner. I bought it slightly used(was 10 months old lol) from Harry a forum member here... it was a bit too much for him to set up due to health issues, he only used it for 3 music festivals... Ive recovered the cushions and made curtains to match my taste...Im very happy with my caravan! Always will be a work in progress lol.

Yeah makeing the bed neat is a chore, but I like how it looks when its all straightened up so I have to do it lol!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Pam, I have a similar set up in my Casita with the bed and the green tea foam topper. It is very comfy but yes, difficult to make the bed. I leave my bed made all the time but I made a "table" that fits over the pulled out silverware drawer (if you can picture that). I cut a slot in the board that fits over the lip of the front of the drawer and the opposite side of the table fits next to the cabinet cut out for the drawer. I fit a little shim between the table and the cutout and I have my table on rainy or cold days. It is also nice for a bit of extra counter space if you need that.
Of course this only works if your silverware drawer is next to your couch. Just thought I would throw that out.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Pictures Shirley picture s

Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Slackers LOL!

I have a nice big comfy bed to roll around in...Im not sleeping in a sleepingbag...unless Im bringing my -20 mummy bag for some hardcore winter camping as a backup plan lol.
Rub it in Deryk!
Actually, I don't mind the sleeping bag. Its well worth it to avoid making the bed every day. And besides, it feels like I'm camping!

Pam, hope the LL Bean bag works for ya. Getting our trailers ready for glamping is so fun.

Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
The loft bed in our 5ver is a workout to make, something I think my husband should do once so he understands why I won't remake the bed when he trying to level the trailer. I have seen where some have turned theirs.
Cyndi, I got a chuckle from your comment. It surely sounds like it's time for your husband to have a turn making the bed while someone else does the leveling. I imagine he'd be way more understanding!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #17

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Table in Casita 13'

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	60665

I don't know if the image of my little silverware drawer table attached here, but Derek, I tried.....
This allows me to leave my bed made all the time and yet have a table
if I need one during inclement weather.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #18

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyA View Post
Attachment 60665

I don't know if the image of my little silverware drawer table attached here, but Derek, I tried.....
This allows me to leave my bed made all the time and yet have a table
if I need one during inclement weather.
Wow! Talk about functional...thanks for the inspiration!
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Shirley you have given me some ideas! I'm planning to make a butcher block top to go over the stove...but would be nice to slide open the cutlery drawer and put it there when I'm cooking for the extra counter space!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Pam M.

He should thank God I made it before I broke my leg otherwise he'd been up there sweating like a hog and getting some inspirations.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp