Scamp Bottom Door Bar Hook - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Scamp Bottom Door Bar Hook

There is a big gap at the bottom of the door on my Boler where it should seal against the door opening. I know this is a very common issue and I came across this on the Scamp parts website

Bottom Door Bar Hook

They call it a bottom door bar hook and they say it helps to force the bottom of the door closed on older trailers. I called the parts guy there and he was not sure if it would work on a Boler door or not. I can't quite see how it would work from the picture. Has anybody ever installed one of these on a Scamp or Boler, or have any insight as to whether or not it may work for me?
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
If that thing works on a Boler door let us know. It would be a boon for almost every Boler owner outt there.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I would be curious how that attaches? I just use a 2 x 4 wedged on bottom left edge during winter. seems to force the door back into shape
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I took the one off my Scamp and threw it away. It was the proper shape, but was rusty and ugly and didn't see where it did anything at all. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
YMMV ?
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
YMMV ?
Your Mileage May Vary (maybe you had a different outcome)
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hmmmmm!
So we put it in the same box with the 200 mpg carb, Eh?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your Mileage May Vary (maybe you had a different outcome)
I couldn't come up with anything

It's like those vanity license plates that got ya scratchin your head..... so simple yours was
By the way I got the app that was just released for the smartphone and your name was the first one i clicked on..... app works really good....
Now back to our regularly scheduled post
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Donna, in what orientation was the bar installed ? I have no idea how this thing would work. Is there any chance you happen to have a picture of your trailer with the bar installed?
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
Donna, in what orientation was the bar installed ? I have no idea how this thing would work. Is there any chance you happen to have a picture of your trailer with the bar installed?
No sorry John, I don't have any pictures. It seems like the open portion was to the rear of the trailer, since it was mounted on the hinge side. Gosh, it's been at least five years since I took it off. Maybe someone with a Scamp can take a picture!?!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
John, I have had several Scamps and none of them have had what you describe at the door bottom. I have intentionally removed the weather seal on the door bottoms.
When winter camping and using your furnace it allows you to crack the roof vent and you have complete flow through ventilation without opening a window.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I would think one would close the door and then shove the clamp on the bottom of the door and body like a giant paperclip. The short side going under the trailer, where I assume there is someplace for it to go without hitting the underside of the trailer.?.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We had one on our 07 13'. You had to make sure you had it hooked otherwise the inside bottom of the door would get dirty when traveling. Our 2010 5th wheel doesn't have one.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #14

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I think what would really help John, and me too, would be a photograph of mounting and in use.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
There is a big gap at the bottom of the door on my Boler where it should seal against the door opening. I know this is a very common issue and I came across this on the Scamp parts website

Bottom Door Bar Hook

They call it a bottom door bar hook and they say it helps to force the bottom of the door closed on older trailers. I called the parts guy there and he was not sure if it would work on a Boler door or not. I can't quite see how it would work from the picture. Has anybody ever installed one of these on a Scamp or Boler, or have any insight as to whether or not it may work for me?
Hi John,
A couple of years ago I noticed the same thing on the Scamp website and inquired about it on this forum. The feeling then was that it would likely not help much with forcing the door closed. This led me to actually fix the door, with a repair that was relatively easy to do, worked great and is still working. If you have the same issue as me, it might be a better way to go. The entire thread can be viewed here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/scamp-boler-bottom-door-bar-hook-37682.html

Good luck.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Our 83 has a horrendous bottom gap. I took the simple (and farmer/redneck) way. I put an eyebbolt thru the bottom of the door and one in the cabinent under the couch/gaucho. When closing the door bend down grab the rubber bungee cord (referred to as a "tarp strap" in our neighborhood), strech it and hook into the eye in the door. Sucks it real tight....
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp