Scamp brakes & prodigy control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Scamp brakes & prodigy control

So based on others comments on an earlier thread i have purchased and installed a P2
Per the instructions i should be able to lock up the brakes
So far i have not been able to do
that is this an example of bad brakes
Or something else ?
I really don't feel any difference when i apply the brakes
My trailer is a 13'scamp and my tow is 2015 tacoma prerunner 6 cyl

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I was never able to get my brakes to lock up on my 13' scamp either even after putting all new parts on. However, I can feel a light tug from the brakes on the scamp and I can hear them engaging when I manually turn them on/off/on/off. Also, when parked in my driveway with the brakes engaged and the frame jacked up in the air, I can't turn the wheel with the brakes engaged.

If you think it is not working, jack up the frame like you are going to change the tire, spin the tire and then engage the brakes. Obviously it should quickly stop spinning. If it doesn't you can check voltages, wiring, etc.... My experience says bad ground connections and broken/missing connections are some of the first things to check. If they haven't been used in a long time they may have rusted out and not be mechanically working anymore.

Good luck. I'm sure others will give you some more good suggestions shortly.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
So based on others comments on an earlier thread i have purchased and installed a P2
So far i have not been able to do
that is this an example of bad brakes
Or something else ?
I really don't feel any difference when i apply the brakes
My trailer is a 13'scamp and my tow is 2015 tacoma prerunner 6 cyl

The small 7" brakes don't have enough braking power to lock up the brakes. I just set mine at maximum and go.
To check to make sure they're working start at about 10 to 15 mph, shift to neutral and apply the brakes on the trailer only. (the lever on the bottom of the p2) you should feel that. FYI I do that everytime I leave home.

One has to remember the biggest thing the brakes do for the light 13' trailer is help keep it behind the tow.

Are the brakes a good idea? In my experience absolutely. I had to make an emergency stop on a curve. As I was slamming on the brakes I glanced at the side mirror and trailer was already heading where it should be going. After I managed to stop, my first thought was where's the trailer. A quick glance at mirrors told me it was right behind where it belonged. I feel that without the brakes I would have lost the trailer and maybe more.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As Byron suggests the small brakes may not lock up.

I would suggest checking that the brakes themselves are adjusted correctly (should be done at least once a year regardless) and due to the age of the trailer take a good look at the condition of the brake pads and brake assemble to make sure they are actually working correctly. More than one party has found on the older trailer that someone had totally discounted them somewhere along the way or removed the brake pads etc....

FYI if things look very rusty and questionable a whole new brake assemble with pads can be purchased for about $50 or less per side.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
To adjust brakes, I was told to set the controller so that the wheels lock up on a gravel road. On pavement, the brakes on my 19' Scamp do not lock up, even with everything set for maximum braking effort.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
To adjust brakes, I was told to set the controller so that the wheels lock up on a gravel road. On pavement, the brakes on my 19' Scamp do not lock up, even with everything set for maximum braking effort.

I'm not sure where you got the gravel road information. According to the DVD and video that came with my P2 a paved road is used. The video shows the wheels locking up on a paved road.

I think it's a good idea to back off a bit on gravel. However I can't even get the wheels to lock up on my 13' on gravel. So I'll just leave it a max.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I was never able to get my brakes to lock up on my 13' scamp either even after putting all new parts on. However, I can feel a light tug from the brakes on the scamp and I can hear them engaging when I manually turn them on/off/on/off. Also, when parked in my driveway with the brakes engaged and the frame jacked up in the air, I can't turn the wheel with the brakes engaged.

If you think it is not working, jack up the frame like you are going to change the tire, spin the tire and then engage the brakes. Obviously it should quickly stop spinning. If it doesn't you can check voltages, wiring, etc.... My experience says bad ground connections and broken/missing connections are some of the first things to check. If they haven't been used in a long time they may have rusted out and not be mechanically working anymore.

Good luck. I'm sure others will give you some more good suggestions shortly.
Remember that with electric brakes you have to turn the wheel in order to engage the brakes. They work with an electro magnet rubbing on the drum, that puts pressure on the brake shoes to engage brakes.

To fully understand I suggest an internet trip to Dexter.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Weird. My recollection was to set up on a gravel road, but here are the instructions:

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
Once the control has been securely mounted in the direction of travel, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running hold manual full left and set Power Knob to indicate approximately 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.
3 If trailer brakes lock up:
q Turn power down using power knob.
3 If braking was not sufficient:
q Turn power up using power knob.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch. When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Weird. My recollection was to set up on a gravel road, but here are the instructions:

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
Once the control has been securely mounted in the direction of travel, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.
1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running hold manual full left and set Power Knob to indicate approximately 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.
3 If trailer brakes lock up:
q Turn power down using power knob.
3 If braking was not sufficient:
q Turn power up using power knob.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch. When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease.
I don't remember where I got the information, but it has been 12 years since I set up the system. I am leaving for a road trip next week, I will adjust the trailer brakes according to the directions that you provided. The brakes were rebuilt this summer, so I'm sure that adjustment will be required.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

Registry
The OP has a Prodigy P2 same as mine and the setup is down on a paved smooth road.

Below is from the Teckonsha P2 manual:

EDIT to remove instructions. (See Glenn Baglo has posted the same)

I actual do the above at the start of every trip. Never know when the setting on the controller may have been accidentally changed when not in use or if I towed home in heavy stop and go freeway traffic I find I sometimes need to drop the setting down as I have found that if frequently using the brakes can get a bit more grabby - heat perhaps?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Ain't happenin'
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Floyd
Not sure what your saying
Can u expand

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #13

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
My16' Scamp would lock up as suggested in the P2 instructions, then I later had the brakes adjusted on the Scamp by a mechanic while troubleshooting another issue. After that, they would not lock up in the P2 setting routine. I had the brakes adjusted again by a mechanic and now they lock up as expected. They lock up at a higher number, but they do lock up now. The P2 settings are dependent on the brake adjustments on the trailer I guess.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Alan, what experience on here is trying to tell you- myself included- you're NOT going to lock the brakes on the 13' Scamp 7" brakes! Look here for an excerpt right off of Dexter's site in a document labeled "Electric_Brakes.pdf". Notice about the sand/gravel!

"Make several hard stops from 20 m.p.h. on a dry paved road free of sand and gravel. If the trailer brakes lock and slide, decrease the gain setting on the controller. If they do not slide, slightly increase the gain setting. Adjust the controller just to the point of impending brake lockup and wheel skid.

NOTE: Not all trailer brakes are capable of wheel lockup. Loading conditions, brake type, wheel and tire size can all affect whether a brake can lock. ....
"
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Floyd
Not sure what your saying
Can u expand

I'm saying that although the 7" brakes are adequate for a 13Scamp, they are not likely to lockup with stock sized 13" tires. The 7" brakes were designed to work well up to the 2200 pound axle capacity, but also to fit with 8"wheels since snowmobile trailers and such commonly use that sized axle. The smaller tire would most likely lock up. No worries though they still work well. Think of the larger tire as a cheap ABS!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
The P2 settings are dependent on the brake adjustments on the trailer I guess.

No need to guess the braking performance is indeed very much depended on the adjustment of the actual trailers brakes not just the setting on the controller itself.

Always a good idea to check and adjust the trailer brakes each year at the same time you repack your wheel bearings.

Tags
brakes, scamp